Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in 4th gear

While driving about 50 mph my transmission got stuck in fourth gear, no matter how hard I tried it would not move out of fourth. I brought it to a shop and they said when they dropped the tranny and took off the inspection plate, it popped out of fourth. I've had it sent to a transmission shop for inspection, to see if there's anything obviously wrong with any of the internal components that caused the problem. While they have the transmission off the car and opened up, is there anything I should have them replace as a good practice? My car is a 2002 Z28 with the 6 speed transmission and about 67,000 miles on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by uscbigdogg
While driving about 50 mph my transmission got stuck in fourth gear, no matter how hard I tried it would not move out of fourth. I brought it to a shop and they said when they dropped the tranny and took off the inspection plate, it popped out of fourth. I've had it sent to a transmission shop for inspection, to see if there's anything obviously wrong with any of the internal components that caused the problem. While they have the transmission off the car and opened up, is there anything I should have them replace as a good practice? My car is a 2002 Z28 with the 6 speed transmission and about 67,000 miles on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
syncronizers and depending on what your shift forks look like seeing if they need replaced
Old 04-07-2008, 09:56 PM
wrencher

I would look closely at the 3/4 syncronizer assembly namely the slider keys.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it still has the aluminum 3/4 shift fork, it is most likely damaged( they all get there eventually) and if you don't replace it now, you will be revisiting this stuck in gear problem again.You may also have damaged struts( incerts) and synchronizer clutch teeth because of this but the shift fork is where I would start.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm willing to bet one of the struts broke and got locked into the teeth of the gear, not allowing it to slide out of gear. Same exact thing happened to me.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4th gear