Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default o2 sensor questions

I posted this in the corvette section but maybe should be here instead. Anybody have problems when running the rear o2 sensor in the front position on long tube header application. My car is 03 Z06. The header mfg. told me to move the rears to the front because the car would respond better. After I did that I got a couple of CEL having to do with slow response on both sides.I did have an exhaust leak on both sides . Along with the codes which were p0133c and p0153c the car was running very rich at idle. (eye burning rich). I stopped both leaks and the idle was still way rich. I decided to go back to the orginal front sensors and the idle cleaned up back to normal. I have not driven it any since then to see if the codes come back but I don't think they will. Anybody run in trouble using the rear sensors in the front position?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you plug the rear sensors into the front harness? I know the 04 Vettes have different connectors for the front and rear sensors so you can't use the rears for front sensors. Not sure about the 03.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Did you plug the rear sensors into the front harness? I know the 04 Vettes have different connectors for the front and rear sensors so you can't use the rears for front sensors. Not sure about the 03.
Yes the header mfg. sent the square to flat adapters to allow you to plug the rears into the front. My car did not like that set up. The orginal front sensors were sheilded and had slots milled into the shield 360 degrees around the sensor. The rears have less shield with several large holes around the sensor. Lots of people on the different corvette forums have made this mod without problems just wondering if anyone else had seen this issue.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if im understanding but this is what i got........so you have no oxygen sensors in your headers? Just the rear ones are plugged into the front harness? If this is correct, no wonder your car runs like ****, you need oxygen sensors in the header plugged into the correct harness for them. Just leave the rear o2 sensors alone, go out and buy a set of rear o2 sensors, so now youll have to sets of rear o2 sensors. One set that is the rear ones bank 1 sensor 2, bank 2 sensor 2. And now the new set will be installed into the header, use the adapter so you can plug them into the proper harness for the front o2 sensors, bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
Not sure if im understanding but this is what i got........so you have no oxygen sensors in your headers? Just the rear ones are plugged into the front harness? If this is correct, no wonder your car runs like ****, you need oxygen sensors in the header plugged into the correct harness for them. Just leave the rear o2 sensors alone, go out and buy a set of rear o2 sensors, so now youll have to sets of rear o2 sensors. One set that is the rear ones bank 1 sensor 2, bank 2 sensor 2. And now the new set will be installed into the header, use the adapter so you can plug them into the proper harness for the front o2 sensors, bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1.
You are right you misunderstood. I left the rear sensors in place and bought new rear sensors to plug into the front position with the adapters supplied. Codes appeared after about 50 miles. But I am now running orginal sensors in their orginal position just waiting for good weather to try em.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh okay...got ya now. Um not sure why they would thro a code. Were any other changes made to the car when doing this? See if you can hook it up to a scanner and see if the o2s are working properly?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
oh okay...got ya now. Um not sure why they would thro a code. Were any other changes made to the car when doing this? See if you can hook it up to a scanner and see if the o2s are working properly?
No other changes . The only other possible cause was the exhaust leak at the collector / cat connection. Finally got that to stop leaking. Reset the codes and will drive it a while and see if they return. Thanks.