Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

any chance at all?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any chance at all?

is there any way that with about 550-600 hp i could pull low 11's to mid 10's - with an iron block, AND, here comes the tough part, still auto x the car or at least have it handle a bit better than stock, im afraid to lower it because the stiffer rear springs cant help in the straights.
is there anything that can be done?
thanks for any help
Mark
Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you really need an iron block to pull low 11s? How much weight does that add over the stock block?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont need it, but i have an lq4 out of a wrecked hd truck that i got for absolutely nothing. i figured id use it. i really wanted tens but i dont want to get my hopes up too high, my dad was wanting the aluminum block out of my car anyway for a future project
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dragcamaro
i dont need it, but i have an lq4 out of a wrecked hd truck that i got for absolutely nothing. i figured id use it. i really wanted tens but i dont want to get my hopes up too high, my dad was wanting the aluminum block out of my car anyway for a future project
Give your dad the LQ4, IMO it hurts your goals too much. I'm pretty sure the iron block is 60-100lbs heavier than the al. one.
How streetable do you want this car to be? Will you completely gut it?

From what I've gathered you really cannot be competitive in any kind of handling with drag suspension (I've ridden in a few Fbodies with drag suspension, they handle like ****, and not just in grip terms, in feel too, which is very important), and on the other hand you can still be quick in a strait line with suspension aimed more at handling.
I say gut the car as much as possible (check road race section, I think they have some thread on how to get better F/R weight balance) get suspension aimed at handling (koni shocks ,strano swaybars, adj PHB, full length torque arm, etc.) and when you are drag racing disconnect the front sway bar, and adjust the shocks. You can stay on the stock springs for better weight transfer, they aren't really bad for handling.
Also what do you think about N20? You could use the N20 when dragracing, and then go N/A when auto-xing (too much power is not a good thing here).
Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

he needs the aluminum block, were wanting to build a stock class car, the suspension is almost done even, but we need to run a factory aluminum block in that.

N2O was the plan actually, the car needs to be pretty streetable, i drive it every day, but i can tolerate a lot, id drive a pro stocker on the street if it had a/c lol. idk about gutting it, id consider light carpet and taking the back seats out, and ill make my stereo a little smaller, i have a pretty huge box in the back now, but im keeping my ac. what other stuff can i take out without making it unliveable.

like i said, id like to achieve tens with a great handling car, my friend has a 06 gti and he wants to take me on auto xing, im pretty sure my car will out handle him now but i still want to later in the days lol
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Give your dad the LQ4, IMO it hurts your goals too much. I'm pretty sure the iron block is 60-100lbs heavier than the al. one.
How streetable do you want this car to be? Will you completely gut it?

From what I've gathered you really cannot be competitive in any kind of handling with drag suspension (I've ridden in a few Fbodies with drag suspension, they handle like ****, and not just in grip terms, in feel too, which is very important), and on the other hand you can still be quick in a strait line with suspension aimed more at handling.
I say gut the car as much as possible (check road race section, I think they have some thread on how to get better F/R weight balance) get suspension aimed at handling (koni shocks ,strano swaybars, adj PHB, full length torque arm, etc.) and when you are drag racing disconnect the front sway bar, and adjust the shocks. You can stay on the stock springs for better weight transfer, they aren't really bad for handling.
Also what do you think about N20? You could use the N20 when dragracing, and then go N/A when auto-xing (too much power is not a good thing here).
For one thing, competitive he won't be for autox. He will have to run in at least SM, and an iron block doesn't help you compete with the EVOs and little Hondas. Though he just wants to handle better than stock, which might not be too hard to do. The iron block will make his weight distribution worse than stock.

I wouldn't consider a drag suspension if you want to autocross. I can't see how you'd have any control over your car. But you can use an autox friendly suspension to get decent times on a drag strip.

So if he were to do this, I would say any QA1s or drag shocks are out the window. I would suggest Konis because you can turn them all the way down in the front for the strip. With more weight up front, you'd want more springrate most likely.

Quick Reply: any chance at all?