Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leak in back of head causing low pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak in back of head causing low pressure?

I got my motor when it was roughly 55k miles. When I drive about 25 minutes consistantly on the freeway, the motor would start to tick very loudly. Its not a rapid tick. After pulling over and letting the car off for about 10 minutes, it would go away.

There's also a oil leak all over the starter.

I bought a oil pressure gauge(autometer electric) and i found out that my car gets only 25psi of pressure and drops slowly to 20 when its warm. If I rev the engine up, the max it would go is 25psi.

I took my motor out and going to change the oilpump and inspect the bearings and replace them and the rod bolts to see if anything is damaged. But could this oily portion of my motor cause it to leak pressure?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont think thats your pressure problem. Probably the oil pump.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also say oil pump or maybe the pickup tube is blocked, even though 1 psi per 100 rpm is the base rule, 20 psi is a bit low. We dont want spun bearings so check it out.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Teching In

yeah I should check out the pick up tube. Just have to find time to get the motor up on the engine hoist. But what would cause the oil leaks on the back(which usually soaks both rear of the motor?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been using a UV leak detection kit for a few years, and it's been great so far - especially on black blocks where it's hard to pinpoint the source

Tracer makes mine, and it's been a lifesaver.

As far as your current issue, I think you two. 1) I think your oil pump is on its way out - I honestly don't think your leak would cause a drop in pressure like that, unless you're spewing oil everywhere as you drive. 2) You need to inspect your oil sensor inlet, and all around the manifold for leaks.

Hope this helps,
Vince