Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Low buck home made pitman arm

Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low buck home made pitman arm

Didn’t want to pop the $ so I decided to make my own re-enforced pitman arm. I was looking for something stronger than stock with stiffer ‘fillins’

I took the stocker, pressed out the bushings and shot blasted it. I then pulled in a favor from one of the water jet operators and had a blank cut 3/8x42x7/8 with a few ellipses cut into it. I then took it over and drilled and tapped it for grease fittings.

Tomorrow I’m going to stitch weld in the blank and hit it up with some por15 I have kicking around.

Should have finished pics by the weekend.

Total expense so far
$25 shipped for bushings
$5 grease fittings

I know it seems like I pulled in a bunch of favors from work, but a length of 3/8x3/4 blank can be picked up from most home improvement stores. instead of shot blasting you can make due with some coarse grit paper. Drill and tap sets can picked up at a hardware store.

Lastly you are on your own for welding but Im sure you can get midas to do it for under $40 and because none of the welding is structural you can take it to a cheap O shop and not put your car at risk

Next project… boxed LCA’s

Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Launching!

thats the way to do it, it will work fine we do that with the buick GNs lower and upper control arms.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Thats a panhard bar BTW. I've seen custom pitman arms on lifted 4x4's so I thought WTH, f bodies don't have them.
Took me a while to figure it out until I seen the pics, looks nice.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Thats a panhard bar BTW. I've seen custom pitman arms on lifted 4x4's so I thought WTH, f bodies don't have them.
Took me a while to figure it out until I seen the pics, looks nice.
That's what I was thinking.....had to look at the pictures figure out that it was a panhard bar he was talking about Plate looks great by the way, like the oval details instead of just a plain plate...

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
That's what I was thinking.....had to look at the pictures figure out that it was a panhard bar he was talking about Plate looks great by the way, like the oval details instead of just a plain plate...
DOH!! Moving faster than the speed of thought !!

I thought the ovals would spice it up a bit but mostly its to avoid rusting. This way when I go to por 15 the thing I can fill it with paint coating every thing inside. I wish there would have been a good way to put one at the ends so any trapped water could run out, but I would much rather have that nice strong joint at the ends.

Yeah I should have it welded up by the end of the day. Basically the whole story here is I want the BMR lowering kit (springs, adjustable panhard bar, and LCA relocation stuff) but with the recovery from buying the car and the money I just paid out for wheels and tires I’m on a next to zero budget.

With the 305's in the back I needed something stiffer to keep the back end in line. I didn’t want to go out and pick up a strong non-adjustable because I will only be running it for about 3 months or less before it gets down graded to my 99 v6 winter beater.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I certainly wouldn't fault your craftsmanship or ingenuity...BUT, how are you going to center the rear if it's off? Beefing up the OE piece is very worthwhile, but if you change the ride height, you lost the benefit of your work.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I certainly wouldn't fault your craftsmanship or ingenuity...BUT, how are you going to center the rear if it's off? Beefing up the OE piece is very worthwhile, but if you change the ride height, you lost the benefit of your work.
That’s why im buying the BMR lowering kit that includes an adjustable panhard bar. This one will be used on my v6 winter driver (99 bird) at that time which will remain stock ride height.

well I talked to one of the welders at work and he set me up with a mig and told the boss id be helping him for a few hours....
amazing how easy and clean the job is with the right equipment!
welding done, and the bar is painted.
Tomorrow it should be dry and ready to install.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok done and installed.
very little shimmy or rebound after hard cornering... Just the way I likes it.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

you need to do a little cleaning ???
Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by billyb
you need to do a little cleaning ???
yeah, come on over and make it happen!! Im too buisy making my own parts becaus I cant afford to buy them!! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low buck home made pitman arm