General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter problems, what do I do?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter problems, what do I do?

Sorry, kind of a long story. Car info: I have a 99 T/A, M-6, with an LS6 swap, and an LS7 clutch. ( I bought the car like this)

A while back my starter began making this nasty grinding noise a every so often when I would crank the car. It started getting to the point where it would do it almost every time I started the car so I went to Autozone to get a new one. I swapped it out and the first couple of times the car started fine, then it started grinding like the last one did, but kept getting worse. I figure that the flywheel was bad (I could see the teeth were slightly rounded off) so I change that. A few starts later the grinding returns. It sounds slightly different now, but it's doing the exact same thing. It's bad enough where the car won't even start.

My question is, since it must be the starter, should I just get a replacement at the store? Will that solve the problem, or am I getting the wrong starter all together? I've been told that the regular starter for my car should work with the ls2 flywheel, but I'm wondering if the flywheel may have a different number of teeth causing it to not mesh up like it's supposed to. I noticed that even though the new starter has the same number on it and is the same brand, it is cut slightly different where the gear slides forward. I'm really not sure what to do and I would hate to waste my time replacing the starter only to find out that it's the wrong one and possibly damage the new flywheel.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reposted in the Gen. III External Engine section.

Last edited by Herbal Chicken; 04-09-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Search this Thread