View Full Version : G8 GT or CTS-V (1st Gen)

racerns
04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I am looking to buy a new (to me) car in the next month or two and a used CTS-V was on the top of my list but lately I have had a growing interest in the G8. I did a side by side comparison between the two last Sat. but did not get to drive either. The G8 is a bigger car with significantly more interior room and the interior styling is a little nicer. Is there anyone here that has bought a G8 GT and has spent time driving a CTS-V that could give a comparison between the two?

Ackattack1
04-09-2008, 12:15 AM
I am looking to buy a new (to me) car in the next month or two and a used CTS-V was on the top of my list but lately I have had a growing interest in the G8. I did a side by side comparison between the two last Sat. but did not get to drive either. The G8 is a bigger car with significantly more interior room and the interior styling is a little nicer. Is there anyone here that has bought a G8 GT and has spent time driving a CST-V that could give a comparison between the two?

I'm in almost the exact same boat as you...thinking of both, but I won't be doing anything for about a year, so the GXP should be out :D

Anyways, after doing some reading, it sounds like the CTS-Vs rearend is pretty weak.

On the other hand my wife is scoffing at a $30k car (I didn't tell her about the GXP) I mean I'm willing to give up the corvette when we have kids....but I'm not going to go to a boring car (like an Accord or similar as she suggested).

20SS07
04-09-2008, 08:00 AM
What do you value more? Having a brand new car or having one that's faster with a M6?

Phantom_LS2
04-09-2008, 08:19 AM
What do you value more? Having a brand new car or having one that's faster with a M6?

G8's won't have an M6 until the GXP model comes out. All you can get now is the A6. Even with the A6, all you need is a tune and you'll be knocking on high 12's door. Exhaust and tune will be 12's. Not to shabby for a 4 door saloon if you ask me.

Oh, I'd go for the G8 myself.

Killer_Z
04-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I say G8, better interior, updated suspension and rear, probably better over all car. now if it was the new cts - v then hands down the cts-V.

20SS07
04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
G8's won't have an M6 until the GXP model comes out. All you can get now is the A6. Even with the A6, all you need is a tune and you'll be knocking on high 12's door. Exhaust and tune will be 12's. Not to shabby for a 4 door saloon if you ask me.

Oh, I'd go for the G8 myself.

Yea, I know, that's why I was referring to the CTS when mentioning the M6.

Jay z28
04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I say G8, better interior, updated suspension and rear, probably better over all car. now if it was the new cts - v then hands down the cts-V.

Well if it was the new CTS-V, then you could buy 2 G8 GT's for the same price!

G8 GT gets my vote. They look a lot better than the CTS-V.

GTOSE
04-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I love CTS-V's I think they look way better. But all the same its a new car.

fast01z28
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
i would do a G8, even tho its less powerful. I have driven a CTS-V a lot and ive sat in a G8. i honestly like bother interiors, but the G8 Interior seems to flow better. I also hear good stuff about the rear end of the G8 versus the CTS-V.

racerns
04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I guess I am going to have to get a good test drive in on both cars to make a good decision. I agree that the CTS-V should be the better performance car from an acceleration, handling, braking stand point but the rear end is a problem with launching though I don't plan on much drag racing. The interior of the G8 has nicer styling but lacks some of the features (NAV, XM) that the V has. I am fine with the V's interior styling and don't hate it like some people do. As for the manual vs auto tranny, I would prefer the M6 though I can live with an auto. It is my wife who is pushing the auto. The car is going to be my daily driver and I will still have my Camaro as my "race" car. The G8 makes more sense as the "family" car because of the size. I will be carting around kids in it daily. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

STAGEUP
04-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Ive driven both, the CTS-V is no doubt stronger, but the G8 is a new car that everyone wants to see.

Raptor_WS6
04-09-2008, 11:33 PM
g8 hands down,

looks better
cheaper
good power

racerns
04-09-2008, 11:50 PM
g8 hands down,

looks better
cheaper
good power

Cheaper, not really.
Remember I am looking at used CTS-Vs and they can be had in the mid to upper $20's K for the years and miles I am looking at. Most likely the G8 will be the more expensive option right now.

U LUZ
04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I have a G8 and a cts-v. I can tell you hands down the caddy is way better car . But I love the G8 it was $31,499.00 out the door my caddy was around $54,000.00. I like the 6 speed in the caddy.But I also like the 6 speed auto in the G8. The G8 is a little bigger. It also has a lot bigger trunk. The caddy seems to handle better than the G8 but I also have lowering springs on it. I think the brakes on the caddy stop the car better.The Interior in the caddy is a lot better it is more "Expensive feeling". If that is the right way to explain it. The G8 interior is nice but the leather seems like it is more "pleather" than leather. Thats what I call plastic leather.I do not like the displacement on demand at all. It is going to make it harder to mod the car because It is my daughters car. All in all the G8 is a great car but I think if I could buy them both used for the same price I would do the caddy hands down. Just my $.02

Semper91-RS
04-21-2008, 11:51 PM
On the "harder to mod" point above, not true. Disconnect the DOD solenoids. Nuff said, straight V8. THEN you can cam it.

Slayn
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
I say just wait until GXP. Bigger engine, better suspension, 6 speed trans no DOD, better front seats. All problems solved.

U LUZ
04-23-2008, 02:04 AM
On the "harder to mod" point above, not true. Disconnect the DOD solenoids. Nuff said, straight V8. THEN you can cam it.
Well since its my 16 year old daughters car ask my wife if her car will be easier to mod than my daughters G8."She will kick my ass"..i think is how she put it:D. Belive me I want to ...

Slayn
04-23-2008, 02:14 AM
You're giving your 16 year old daughter a 32,000 360hp car?

marcus769
04-23-2008, 12:53 PM
No kidding! 16 years old getting a G8! I'm up for adoption! :D

racerns
04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a G8 and a cts-v. I can tell you hands down the caddy is way better car . But I love the G8 it was $31,499.00 out the door my caddy was around $54,000.00. I like the 6 speed in the caddy.But I also like the 6 speed auto in the G8. The G8 is a little bigger. It also has a lot bigger trunk. The caddy seems to handle better than the G8 but I also have lowering springs on it. I think the brakes on the caddy stop the car better.The Interior in the caddy is a lot better it is more "Expensive feeling". If that is the right way to explain it. The G8 interior is nice but the leather seems like it is more "pleather" than leather. Thats what I call plastic leather.I do not like the displacement on demand at all. It is going to make it harder to mod the car because It is my daughters car. All in all the G8 is a great car but I think if I could buy them both used for the same price I would do the caddy hands down. Just my $.02

Thanks for the comparison. Since I started this thread I have had a chance to test drive both cars though not for an extended period of time. From a shear perfromance aspect the V is better but the G8 is not bad. Though I think the G8 with the right mods will be the better straight line car. I had the same feel about the interior quality of the V though I still like the interior and exterior style of the G8 better. The V could be "too nice" for me in some ways as I wonder what my 2 small childern would do to the suede inserts in the seats. :eek: At this point I am leaning towards the G8, as I put a deposit down to get first right at some coming in towards the end of the month but I seem to second guess myself every day, so who knows.

As for the GXP, it looks to be a bit out of the price range I want to spend right now.

RangerRob
04-23-2008, 11:12 PM
get a V... you won't regret it!! i wouldn't be caught dead driving a pontiac... even if it is made by GM

racerns
04-24-2008, 07:56 AM
get a V... you won't regret it!! i wouldn't be caught dead driving a pontiac... even if it is made by GM

What do you mean? It is really a Holden anyway.

theloanman219
04-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I have read more thread started and gone toward how bad the rear is in the V. I have had my 05 for almost 2yrs and not so much a leak or anything. I have brought it in to the dealer and had it checked (that is why I have 100k :) warranty) Now don't get me wrong, I drive it like I stole it! Just think a 4 door Caddy that can hang with most if not all stock cars on the road. Now I know there are cars out there that are more powerful and may handle better, but stock for stock the V is much more fun.

Good luck in what ever you choose

Gene

Phantom_LS2
04-25-2008, 06:32 AM

It's funny you say that because the G8 is a Chevrolet Lumina SS in the land of sand (saudi arabia, dubai, etc). Something else funny is I think I heard that a limited run of the GTO's were sold in Japan as a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 or some shit. LOL

Zger
04-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Test drove both, bought the Caddy.

Slayn
04-25-2008, 08:41 AM
My boss bought a brand new 04 z06 and tore up the rear end many times. I have had customers complain to me about the rear end on his 07z06 many times. I dont think one IRS is particularly stronger than another, most IRS seem to be weak period so I wouldnt think a G8 or anything is stronger than a CTS. You'd have to build them all up eventually or lay off on the hard launches and traction.

CWW17
04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
It's funny you say that because the G8 is a Chevrolet Lumina SS in the land of sand (saudi arabia, dubai, etc). Something else funny is I think I heard that a limited run of the GTO's were sold in Japan as a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 or some shit. LOL

No, that is not true. The Mitsubishi 3000GT was sold in Japan as a Mitsubishi GTO. Also, get the V. You will not regret it. No offense to any G8 owners but the V is in a class of it's own and the G8 simply does not compare.

-LS6 or LS2
-Bilstein Struts
-Brembo Brakes
-6 Speed Manual
-Upscale Adult Styled Exterior (ie no hood scoops)
-Navigation
-XM Radio
-Memory Seats

It's a Cadillac. The small refinements are the things you will appreciate the most.

dieselp
04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
plus you wont see your self comeing and going less V's than G8's to go around there will be a lot more g8's runing around

Hawk108
04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Also, get the V. You will not regret it. No offense to any G8 owners but the V is in a class of it's own and the G8 simply does not compare.

-LS6 or LS2
-Bilstein Struts
-Brembo Brakes
-6 Speed Manual
-Navigation
-XM Radio
-Memory Seats

It's a Cadillac. The small refinements are the things you will appreciate the most.

+1

I have spent alot of time driving my fathers V and it is just a all around fun car to drive. The rear isnt that bad, you just cant be too big of an idiot(I know its hard sometimes) when your driving.

Ackattack1
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I went and looked at some used CTSs this weekend (they didn't have any Vs) and I assume it has the same interior. Anyways, I was sorly disappointed in the Caddy's interior in comparison to the G8s. I thought it was plasticy and when I wiggle the console in both CTSs they were loose and squeaky. It may be because they were used, but not impressed. The G8's interior seemed more solid.

I also looked at a new CTS (direct injection V6). Wow! That's a nice car. But more than I want to spend and not enough power.

Plus, the used CTS's size was smaller than what I want. So G8 it is!

ODLA
04-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I drove a g8 on a small track at barrett jackson auction and its a great car. Now i driven many a V's on the track and hands down if you want performance in stock trim i would have gone for the v. if you want to hardcore drag race at the lights go with the g8. i still launch pretty hard with the v but i know its limits in a dead stop to a next light at top speed. Then take it to track and ive passed much more $$$$$ cars. Also the fact that they are much more rare is a big bonus.

trukk
05-07-2008, 12:31 PM
No, that is not true. The Mitsubishi 3000GT was sold in Japan as a Mitsubishi GTO. Also, get the V. You will not regret it. No offense to any G8 owners but the V is in a class of it's own and the G8 simply does not compare.

-LS6 or LS2
-Bilstein Struts
-Brembo Brakes
-6 Speed Manual
-Navigation
-XM Radio
-Memory Seats

Picking nits, the struts are made by Sachs, not that it really matters :D

Regarding the CTS-V rear end. the Bean counters won that argument, and they used the same diff carrier that came stock in the regular CTS (and STS, SRX, and Solstice/sky), it is a pretty wimpy case, although the '06+ onces have the case beefed up just a bit (as well as the half shafts).

Personally, I'm on my 4th diff. All were replaced by my very tolerant dealer for whine (no failures). Had I not been under warrantee, I would not have had them replaced. Once time I took the car in for another issue, and my dealer told me "we thought your rear sounded noisy again, so we swapped it out".

A lot of the people that are grumbling about the diff, grumbled because of the noise it makes. A lot less actually blew one up. You can easily avoid that if you don't go to the drags, or do agressive launches.

I do expect mine current diff to blow up at one point or another in the future, but I think it will be a pretty long while. My car is a ways down the mod path, which is one reason. I also take my car to the road course about 4 times per year. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats passing a 911 at VIR, in a nearly 2 ton tank :D. Cts-V's do very well on the road course.

I will take a serious look at the GXP when it comes out, as a replacement for the V in Daily Driver duty.

Here's a quick pic of my car, getting ready to go to the track.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2790/043nk6.jpg

-Chris

racerns
05-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. Just to let you know I picked up a fully loaded Magnetic Gray G8 GT this weekend. I really like both cars and if I had any plans to open track with this car the V would have been my choice but my Camaro is well set up for that. If anything, the G8 may see some light drag racing duty and I believe it is better suited for that than the V. Mostly I just wanted a nice, comfortable, fast daily driver that could also be a family car if needed and the G8 seemed to fit the bill just a little better. With the GM loyalty dicount and my GM card and Bonus I ended up getting it for ~$29300 before tax and tags.

gspfunk
05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Nice work! That's my favorite color so far. We saw one at a showroom here in Dallas (Plano) and it was gorgeous.

Phantom_LS2
05-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Good choice, and congratulations!

trukk
05-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Whatever you chose, you already won.

Enjoy your new G8!

-Chris

TrakDay
05-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Well I currently have an 07 CTSV and I am looking at getting rid of it so I can get the G8 GXP when it comes out.