General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TA Alternator

Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TA Alternator

For those of you with post '98 TA's (or Camaro's), have any of you had alternators that was destroyed from a power steering leak right above?

It's funny how the alternator is right under the PS.

If the alternator fails when the engine is running, could it eventually stall the engine out at idle...? I asked this question to a couple professional people from Meineke, and their answers sounded like they weren't too sure.

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 04-08-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
For those of you with post '98 TA's (or Camaro's), have any of you had alternators that was destroyed from a power steering leak right above?

It's funny how the alternator is right under the PS.

If the alternator fails when the engine is running, could it eventually stall the engine out at idle...? I asked this question to a couple professional people from Meineke, and their answers sounded like they weren't too sure.
there is no way even if the alternator locked up completely would it ever stall a V8 engine the belt would slip long before there was enough force to stall the engine

but then again if the belt slips across the alternator enough when its locked up the belt will break and you'll lose the water pump so it wont take a long time for the **** to hit that fan when that happens
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

If the alternator gives out you can continue to run only as long as the battery has power.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had one on my old s-10 lockup on me. Though the damn motor seized up.

Search this Thread