Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a VERY rich tune eat up crank bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Could a VERY rich tune eat up crank bearings?

My car was tuned very rich last time around; so much that I did a flyby past my friends car and they had to pull over because they couldn't see- they had their windows UP and the fumes went through the vent and into the car blinding them- they looked like they had been crying from cutting onions. I ALWAYS smelled like fuel from driving it even when just cruising. I couldn't even drive it to work because I would wreak from ten feet away.

Anyway, eventually my car wouldn't get oil pressure. I pulled the motor and the crank bearings were ate up real bad. Could unburnt fuel have made its way into the oil pan and washed the bearings off?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most definately, too much fuel in the cylinders will wash down the cylinder walls and the rings wont seal, causing excessive blow by and fuel in the crankcase, greatly changing the viscosity of the oil, to the point it will flow too freely and not build pressure, ending up in spun bearings.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bww3588
most definately, too much fuel in the cylinders will wash down the cylinder walls and the rings wont seal, causing excessive blow by and fuel in the crankcase, greatly changing the viscosity of the oil, to the point it will flow too freely and not build pressure, ending up in spun bearings.
this is very true. but something that bad would have been seen with regular checks of the oil. like...wtf, the car now has MORE oil in it than before? haha **** like that should trigger something.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How rich was it running?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, too cool a thermostat too. You should get your oil analyzed next time to determine fuel contamination level.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Absolutely it can happen. Cyl wash down its called.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
this is very true. but something that bad would have been seen with regular checks of the oil. like...wtf, the car now has MORE oil in it than before? haha **** like that should trigger something.
no, something you have to realize, is your not going to see fuel contamination on the dip stick. your only getting blow by, which is just excess fuel vapors making it past the rings. the fuel is already atomized with air, so its going to be a very negliagle amount quantity wise, and what we are used to, (there isint going to be gallons of gas in your oil), but i beleive they measure fuel contamination in PPM, if im not mistaken. it doesnt take much of any contaminate to break down the oil to the point where it wont protect.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only time i've seen enough gas in the oil to cause a problem it was noticeable on the dipstick. granted it was a gen 1 motor, i believe the same principles apply. regardless, upon checking your oil regularly, you will notice something, be it discoloration, odor, etc...that is my point.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
so its going to be a very negliagle amount quantity wise, and what we are used to, (there isint going to be gallons of gas in your oil), but i beleive they measure fuel contamination in PPM, if im not mistaken. it doesnt take much of any contaminate to break down the oil to the point where it wont protect.

I agree, that is why I suggested used oil analysis. If its on the dipstick, its called a bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
only time i've seen enough gas in the oil to cause a problem it was noticeable on the dipstick. granted it was a gen 1 motor, i believe the same principles apply. regardless, upon checking your oil regularly, you will notice something, be it discoloration, odor, etc...that is my point.
i agree with the above, if you notice it on the dipstick, its a bomb. yes, you will definately notice an odor of fuel, if its even mildly contaminated, but my point is, it doesnt take a visiually noticable amount of contamination to ruin your day, and your motor.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

it would idle in the 10's instead of 14.7-15.0. WOT pulls were fine- 11.0-11.5, remember this is a turbo car. Oh, I never even got around to changing the oil. Motor only had 1000miles on it if that. I changed it at 20miles, 100miles, 500miles and that was it. I never noticed a fuel smell to the odor or 'more oil'.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

could be from your TT sucking up too much oil and then not enough left in crankcase for adequate lubrication