Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve spring question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve spring question.

Is it overkill to be running dual springs rated to .650 on a cam that nets only .555 lift. I understand that I won't be pushing the springs to their limit but is the extra spring pressure counter productive to any horsepower benefit? Or would the pressures equalize out, i.e. one compressing, another expanding so in turn end up being neutral forces? Or would I be better off going for a single coil, beehive spring closer to the cam lift to minamize harmful harmonics?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSsuperdave
Is it overkill to be running dual springs rated to .650 on a cam that nets only .555 lift. I understand that I won't be pushing the springs to their limit but is the extra spring pressure counter productive to any horsepower benefit? Or would the pressures equalize out, i.e. one compressing, another expanding so in turn end up being neutral forces? Or would I be better off going for a single coil, beehive spring closer to the cam lift to minamize harmful harmonics?
what'a the cam profile and how hard you going to spin the motor?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been thinking the same thing!
My cam is a HOtcam 218/228 and .525 lift, with 1.8 Harland sharp RR's, which equals a new lift of .556 and new duration is 220/230. Sorry didn't mean to highjack!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

any time that happens it will benifit everyone has there debates try putting stock springs with stock cam then try putting aftermarket springs with stock cam it makes the world of a diffrence goes eathier way thou
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SSsuperdave
You're probably better off running a single beehive for a .555" lift cam. A dual valvespring capable of .650" would either:

a)cause you to run excessive coilbind clearance which reduces a springs harmonic dampening effect

b)cause you to shim the hell out of the spring in order to reach an adequate coilbind clearance, but also resulting in excessive seat pressures.

A single beehive spring, on the other hand, will probably control the valvetrain and reduce fuss points better with less spring pressure, ie friction.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by litle88
Been thinking the same thing!
My cam is a HOtcam 218/228 and .525 lift, with 1.8 Harland sharp RR's, which equals a new lift of .556 and new duration is 220/230. Sorry didn't mean to highjack!
This is almost identicle to my Z06 with 1.8 YTs. I'm running PAC 1518 beehive springs that are good to .650 and I'm routinely spinning this motor to 6,500 as it's a track car. So far everything is working out just fine.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
You're probably better off running a single beehive for a .555" lift cam. A dual valvespring capable of .650" would either:

a)cause you to run excessive coilbind clearance which reduces a springs harmonic dampening effect

b)cause you to shim the hell out of the spring in order to reach an adequate coilbind clearance, but also resulting in excessive seat pressures.

A single beehive spring, on the other hand, will probably control the valvetrain and reduce fuss points better with less spring pressure, ie friction.
I like the way you explain things.
OP Listen to this guy.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

well there you have it!!
I guess were screwed with some patriot springs....damn its 200 for the spring install! and if I buy a cam with a 59? lift I'm ok and a cam install is 400bux man oh man, more money to blow......
all of this from recommendations by my installer!
thank you predator for chiming in KCS for the elaboration.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by litle88
well there you have it!!
I guess were screwed with some patriot springs....damn its 200 for the spring install! and if I buy a cam with a 59? lift I'm ok and a cam install is 400bux man oh man, more money to blow......
all of this from recommendations by my installer!
thank you predator for chiming in KCS for the elaboration.
No problem, here to help.

Pred, thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

I called Patriot today and spoke to Chad, Wow do they have some of the best customer service there. They even took the time to help me with some other issues!
But he said I should be fine with the Harland 1.8's and have no worries with any *excessive coilbind clearance which reduces a springs harmonic dampening effect
*cause you to shim the hell out of the spring in order to reach an adequate coilbind clearance, but also resulting in excessive seat pressures
Thanks Chad @ patriot performance!