Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinions

Just got my tax return and want to buy an exhaust system for my 2001 Trans Am. I've been researching and listening to clips online and have narrowed my choices down to four companies.

SLP LM - $400
GMMG - $750
Borla - $800
Corsa - $900

I would like people's opinions on the best sounding system. My car is 100% stock and I am not getting headers at this time, just the exhaust. I'm looking for the deepest growl I can get. GMMG is a good example but out of my price range. What have you heard (literally)?

*prices are from site sponsor www.ws6store.com

Last edited by mermel; 04-09-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have SLP and i think it sounds the best. my car has no other engine/exhaust mods.

basically you will get alot of people responding to this thread. most of us will just give bumps to what we have.

upon hearing the SLP on my car, my buddy pulled off his 2k mile old Magnaflow and tossed it in favor of the SLP. i think the SLP sounds the best.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BadGTho
i have SLP and i think it sounds the best. my car has no other engine/exhaust mods.

basically you will get alot of people responding to this thread. most of us will just give bumps to what we have.

upon hearing the SLP on my car, my buddy pulled off his 2k mile old Magnaflow and tossed it in favor of the SLP. i think the SLP sounds the best.
Yeah, I know. This thread should be called "What exhaust do you have?" but there are some objective people out there that will give me their honest opinion. And most of my fbody friends have magnaflow but it just doesn't sound like what I want.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mermel
Yeah, I know. This thread should be called "What exhaust do you have?" but there are some objective people out there that will give me their honest opinion. And most of my fbody friends have magnaflow but it just doesn't sound like what I want.
i like magnaflow for other applications.... but it lacks the rasp.
the borla has a very distinctive sound, but again.. it lacks the rasp/burble. i ran borla on a truck i used to have but it looked nicer than it sounded and was too much money.

i really like flowmaster, i have it on my truck now, but i think that on the 4th gen the slp is really the best package...looks/price/sound.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say loudmouth, just because i couldnt justify to myself paying 800 dollars for a muffler and 2 tailpipes. with the loudmouth you can change the muffler out for any round muffler you like if you ever get headers, or keep it as is and sound pretty bad ***.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Quick follow up question. Does anyone think True Duals are worth the money? I'm not really into racing (it's a drop top), I'd rather just cruise and sound like I could race.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how much true duals cost. Info on them is hard to find unless you go through a performance shop.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have true duals on my car.
i paid
-325 for headers
-140 for mufflers
-250 for 2.5 inch exhaust

total of 715

it is dumped right before the axle and is very loud in the car on accelerating, but not bad at all just cruising. if you want to sound like an oldschool muscle car go with duals. but if you want a more refined sound go with a catback. the only reason i got the duals is because i was planning on racing the car and now have changed my mind. it sounds bad *** but next time im probably just going to get a loudmouth or something.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

true duals kick ***, but with a stock motor, i'm not sure it can be justified.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently have a Flowmaster kit but it's a SOTL not a dual outlet setup which would obviously look better on a T/A. The reason I made that choice is because the Single Out setups are more efficient and therefore make more power. Problem is too many people can't get overthe single outlet look.
IMO the loudmouth is probably the best catback for a F-body with stock manifolds and cats, Great sound and Excellent Quality.
I love the sound from my Flowmaster but the LM turns Heads.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

i like how the loudmouth sounds, i have stock exhaust though
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Quick follow up question. Does anyone think True Duals are worth the money?.

For sure. You can get duals fabbed up for around the cost of the last 3 systems you listed in your original post. For the price of "higher end" catbacks, why not go duals for the same cost, maybe a little more? Anybody would be crazy not to, imo.

I had my 2.5" over the axles fabbed up w/ Borla Xr1's for $550. I did supply the mufflers though. So right around $750 total. Had 2 setups b4 them, and would NEVER go back...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

^^How's the ground clearance?^^
Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ Good. Lowest spot is where the headers meet the xpipe.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

I got a friend who tells me that the SLP LM is obnoxiously too loud. Says people he knows switched from LM to Magnaflow because of the sound. Anyone else epxerience this?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a friend who tells me that the SLP LM is obnoxiously too loud. Says people he knows switched from LM to Magnaflow because of the sound. Anyone else epxerience this?
no offense// your friend is a *****. (j/k)

it's loud. it drones.

i used to own a stang with a built motor, so to me, the car is still quiet.

it all depends on taste... and compared to an asian car, it's crazy loud yo.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the LM, I have the Dual-Dual (not sure if it's made anymore) and I like it. Most people go with SLP or Magnaflow in terms that they all flow the same (except Flowmaster who isn't much better than our stock ones), so it's down to sound, and those are the top 2 picks.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

mermel-> Took a measurement for ya. Lowest spot on my setup is 4 3/4". Plenty of clearance on stock height.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Kev. Jury's still out on a decision. If I'm not gonna drag, just cruise around and be seen/heard, think true duals are worth it? I'm not gonna do many mods, just probably new headers and some appearance mods, that's it.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Its your call... The more mods you do, the more you'll benefit from duals. Plus, catbacks cannot match the sound duals offer.

Prior to my current setup, i was running LT's, ory, and a Hooker Catback. Very nice sounding setup, imo... Low rumble at idle. Racey, kinda exotic sounding while cruising/ spirited driving. Damn loud at wot. Downside, it was too quiet for me most of the time. I would recommend this setup also.

Here's a pretty good vid from LS1Sounds-> http://ls1sounds.com/Hooker/hooker_p...LT_3in-ORY.wmv
Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a cut out and smile.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions