Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

69 Vette 350 L46 With T56 Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Vette 350 L46 With T56 Clutch Question

I am going to install a 6speed, inc. T56 using a Mcleod bell housing adapter plate to my 230rwhp (yes whimpy) SBC motor. I will need a 26 spline clutch to work with the adapter plate. The car is a daily driver believe it or not and has seen several passes at Moroso (13.8@101mph) and auto-x. So I need something that is good on both the street and track allowing me to really rip through the gears banging them as hard as I can.

Also don't know if this matters or not but I plan to install the carb'd LS3 next year after prices have dropped a bit. Is there a clutch setup I can buy now that will work with both motors to save some costs when I do the conversion next year? Also is there a scattershield or new bell housing that will allow me to run my mechanical clutch setup with both my old SBC and the new LS3. Just trying to plan ahead and save some monies if I can find the parts needed to better prepare me for the LS swap next year as I am totally new to this stuff.

thanks...rob
Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a T56 from an LT1 or an LS1 car? If it's an LT1, Centerforce makes an "adapter" flywheel for a 2 piece rear main seal block that lets you use a standard LT1 clutch (they are pricy, but it's what you have to use). I'm running a Centerforce Dual Friction in my LT1 T56 swapped 1992 Z28 and at roughly 400 crank hp, I'm having no issues (this is a track/autocross car). If you swap to an LS series engine, you'll need to swap to an LS series T56. I don't know of any way to adapt the LSx trans to fit an old SBC (unless something new has come out in the last few months or so).

The LT1 clutch works "backwards" and I don't think there is any way to use a mechanical linkage with that clutch. I'm not thinking you'll have any more luck with the LSx version because I don't think anyone makes a bellhousing that will support it. I suspect you'll have to add hydraulics to the Corvette to operate the clutch. That's off the top of my head, but I've not seen anything for the conversion (I've got LT1 hydraulics in my Camaro, but mine was at least hydraulic to start).