Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice ,Budget Rebuilding My ls1

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Advice ,Budget Rebuilding My ls1

Well took the intake off today to change a leaking gaskit and installed it all back together and heard some noise.Took it back off and found Pieces of Meatal in my intake that look very Similar to pistons pieces. and smell of Raw Gas.I have yet to fully confirm what i think but will later today.So if this is what i think it is what would be my best bet?
my car is a 98 trans am with 94k
bbk intake
PP tb
TQ v2 cam
full exhaust
100 shot spray

I have been looking at Shortblocks/stroker kits .I just dont knwo what would be better for me to do .I would love a 408-402 but Price just will not allow me to do that at this time.So assuming it is a piston ,What Would be the most benificial way to Improve some Hp and Strength .I put down 375Hp with stock 806 heads with my mods listed above on motor.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the engine is busted you can get a replacement forged 347 shortblock for under 3K and you can sell the block you have now to get some $$ back. If its got a broke piston you can sell it for a few hundred $$.

Or you can pull your motor and rebuild it with forged parts yourself, buy forged rods/bolts, pistons/rings, and new bearings. Plus get the cylinders honed.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

put the money in rebuilding a 6.0 lq4
replacement pistons .030 over will b at 370ci
lq4 pistons are 300$ with rings, for press fit on stock rods
everything else will b pretty much the same price
Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1chris
Well took the intake off today to change a leaking gaskit and installed it all back together and heard some noise.Took it back off and found Pieces of Meatal in my intake that look very Similar to pistons pieces. and smell of Raw Gas.I have yet to fully confirm what i think but will later today.So if this is what i think it is what would be my best bet?
my car is a 98 trans am with 94k
bbk intake
PP tb
TQ v2 cam
full exhaust
100 shot spray

I have been looking at Shortblocks/stroker kits .I just dont knwo what would be better for me to do .I would love a 408-402 but Price just will not allow me to do that at this time.So assuming it is a piston ,What Would be the most benificial way to Improve some Hp and Strength .I put down 375Hp with stock 806 heads with my mods listed above on motor.
Sounds like you probably broke a ringland, probably nitrous related.

If you rebuild the aluminum 5.7L block, you'll get 347ci with a 3.905" piston and stock stroke. With an iron block, you could go 4.040" and get 371ci, but at the cost and weight of an Iron 6.0L block. Whatever you do, thrown in some ARP rod bolts while you're at it, turn the crank and resize the rods. If you wanna go the extra mile, you could even offset grind the crank for a few more ci.