PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much hp can be gained from HPPIII???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much hp can be gained from HPPIII???

I know LS1 edit is the way to go but I don't have internal work done to the car yet so it would be uselees as of now but since I will be getting the HPP III for $150, then its something good to have as opposed to even considering the predator for lots more money that and I think they don't make one for 98...not sure though but.....Anyways what HP can be gained or what is this claim I see in the magzines that state up to 19 HP! and stuff like that but from where......I mainly will be getting it to adjust my gear ratios and set the rev limiter, recalibrate the speedo and set the fan settings.......But what is to be gained???.See my sig. .......Thanx!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: How much hp can be gained from HPPIII???

To be perfectly honest...Don't waste your money on something like the HPP 3. I payed a couple of times to have my car dyno tuned with LS1Edit and lets just say I should have just waited in the first place so I could buy Edit to begin with. I'd suggest the same. Whether your car is "heavily" modded or not.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

SORRY BUT WASTE OF MONEY!!! go with the Predator or LS1EDIT if you plan on doing some kind of MODS. Im not sure HP wise, but it felt like totally diff. car with the Predator. Plus, HPP3 is a YES or NO programmer, the Predator can make fine tune adjustments and read and tell you SES codes
Old 07-30-2003, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup HPP3 is a waste... their "performance tuning" is crap... it copies the high octane tables into the low octane tables, and leans the car out.. that's about it...

if your car is already running lean from the factory or if you put a ported MAF on it'll prolly hurt performance!

The predator seems better as a hand programmer... but if you can afford LS1 Edit and have a laptop... go edit

Edit: just saw you have 98.. yes predator is not available for 98s... so basically expect to gain little hp from the HPP3 and you may even lose power if their programming leans you out too much (just don't install the Hypertech Power Programming)
Old 07-30-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanx for the replies guys but i know LS1 edit is the way to go...but I don't have that kind of money right now and if I did I'll invest in some major mods and then get professional tuning from MTI......Couldn't go wrong with that but I'll wait till I heavily mod the car then I'll be able to fine tune it !!!that and the fact that I'll neeed it!!!...But since Predator is not available for 98's then I have no choice besides I'm not buying the HPP III new($150)....It will be a little good investment in the meantime I think....Besides I can always turnaround and sell it!!!! FWIW: I have an extra set of unported MAF with screen so I'l be able to lean it out a bit........
Old 07-30-2003, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well from the look of your MODS, I think you might have to send it off anyway to get it reprogrammed for the 373's. Im not sure how much it cost but its not free (I THINK)
Old 08-03-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

i noticed a diff when i installed my hpp3 but i did have them re-tune it cause at first it did suck hell for a buck fifty its a good idea and with your mods i think you will see a gain but that ported tb might not mix well with it youll just have to see....
Old 08-03-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ported TB is likely to give you problems with
either HPP3 or Predator as both of these presume
stock electronics (and truth in MAF airflow data).
Predator custom tunes could deal, HPP3 won't. You
don't need to lean it out "a bit", you've already
done it and don't need the "double whammy". To use
either of the handhelds I'd say to swap back the
original ends w/ screen.

To use Edit effectively you'd also need 'Tap or
EFI-Live etc. So the price bump is not just the
(what, $200) difference between Edit and the
Predator, but throw down another $250 for the
logger and assume you already had the laptop.

My rule of thumb is, if you think you're gonna
get headers and a cam someday, you are making
a hardware investment that exceeds, and makes
necessary, the greater software investment (and
investment of personal time). You might get by
on this threshold with Predator tunes, they can
handle it for you. But if you're a wrencher you
probably want your own e-tools.

So you got to ask yourself one question -
Vise-Grips, or rollaround tool chest?

Depends two ways on the size of your pockets.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called Hypertech and asked them just that. They told me that GM's program and theirs is very much the same. He said I might get maybe 8 horses max out of it. I bought it anyway just to correct my spedo and play with the shift points. I did put their program in. With their program in the only thing I noticed was all the pinging coming from the engine. So I put the factory engine program back in and never looked back. Like I said I do use it for the shift points and speedo correction. Also something else to keep in mind, I bought their 160' thermostat too. I set my computer to the 160' setting. The engine never cooled off any more then the factory temp. I belive the factory radiator will not pull the temp down to 160' so that mod was a waist of money and now my fans run all the dang time

So I would say that if you are going to stay stock on the engine but need to correct the speedo or want to play with the shift points its and ok thing to buy. But if you plan on doing a lot of mods, its a piece of sh*&. I do not know what programing device is worth the money.