Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C set up with procharger in mind for the future

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up H/C set up with procharger in mind for the future

Hey all currently I have a stock (with the exception of exhaust and lid) 01 formula m6 with about 46k miles on it. What I am wondering is if there is a good head and cam setup that will net me some nice power that later on I can through a Procharger on it and i wont have to worry about the compression being too high as stock I believe is already 10 to 1.Any suggestions would be great.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kinda hard to have it both ways. The NA cam won't compliment the procharger.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Teching In

So there is no n/a set up that can net me a nice gain without having to change it later for a FI set up? Is there a set of heads that would net me some nice power that would not hurt a FI set up later? And if I went with a heads and cam set up n/a would the only thing I would have to change be the cam to go FI?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guns77
So there is no n/a set up that can net me a nice gain without having to change it later for a FI set up? Is there a set of heads that would net me some nice power that would not hurt a FI set up later? And if I went with a heads and cam set up n/a would the only thing I would have to change be the cam to go FI?
Sure there is but there is a problem. You can have H/C-only and be fine at that power level with a stock short block. You can have FI-only and be OK at that power level with a stock short block. But add H/C AND FI and you will have exceeded the power level that would be "safe/durable" on a stock short block.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Sure there is but there is a problem. You can have H/C-only and be fine at that power level with a stock short block. You can have FI-only and be OK at that power level with a stock short block. But add H/C AND FI and you will have exceeded the power level that would be "safe/durable" on a stock short block.
I do not really agree with that. Stock block can take way in excess of 550 rwhp. The issue here is not to go overboard on boost. Many boosted stock block fail because of primarily poor tuning and secondarily too much boost and detonation.

So to answer the OP yes you can have a head cam that will add power till you get a SC.
Cam like a 224/230 .581/.590 114+1 LSA and Stage 2 (2.02/1.57) CNC 241 heads, unmilled.
This is just 1 exemple. Add a SC to that at about 7lbs boost and you have a solid 550+ rwhp setup.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks alot Z for the information, That is what I was looking for , Some suggestions on a h/c setup that would net me some nice gains now that I wound not have to change later to go FI . Any idea what I can expect from a set up like the one you suggested hp wise ? Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

properly installed and degreed with pro tuning, between 400>420