Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans and Clutch Or Only Clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans and Clutch Or Only Clutch??

Alright, well for a long time my clutch has had problems shifting at WOT at anything past 4.5k RPM. But I live in Texas and now that it's getting hot again I'm seeing some serious problems. It all started the other day, I was picking up my girlfriend from school and I had been idling in the parking lot for about 10 minutes or so at probably around 90 degrees, when I went to put it in gear it was damn near impossible. I was on my way home to pick up my dads truck when it started to get better so I figure hey it's just the heat, I need to get that fixed soon. Well, ever since then the shifting has seemed really rough and it grinds going into 4th damn near every time. I just ordered a Spec 3+ and master/slave cylinders and am hoping I won't have to do any additional work and that the grinding is just caused by the clutch not fully disengaging. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

id say you have a slave or master going bad and its not lettin the clutch fully disengage. but since your gettin a new clutch and slave and master i think that you wont have no problems after you change it out
Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Ah thank God, that's definitely what I wanted to hear! I've been saving up for a H/C swap and was afraid I was going to have to spend that money on a transmission rebuild. I'm not completely in the clear but hopefully once I get my new clutch in it'll work like new
Old 04-11-2008, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

yep sounds like heat getting to the fluid to me
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah that was really the first conclusion I jumped too, but even when it's not hot its still doing it now. Oh well, I have a new clutch and master/slave on the way, hopefully that'll clear up the problem.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like a hydraulic problem to me, so I would imagine the new clutch, master, and slave properly bled will solve your issue. There is always a chance that it's something in the transmission, but from your description, it sounds like the clutch not disengaging properly. I wouldn't drive it until you do the new clutch setup because you'll be at a very high risk for damaging the transmission internals. Let us know how it goes after the clutch swap.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh ok,if its doing it cold, then its not the heat issue...lol