Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam Vent Hose Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam Vent Hose Question

I have a 98 chev s10 with a 5.3l in it. Is there a way to plug the steam hose? I read about rerouting it to the rad hose and all that stuff but i need a quick fix till i can tap a part of the upper hose.

Will it harm anything if it is pluged? seems like a pretty usless hose.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just to get air out of the system, some people have plugged it and had no problems. I would only plug it if i had to, or if i was sure there was no air in the system.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can plug the back one.. but you should use the front one to vent to somewhere in the cooling system, else you might end up with a air pocket and you will over heat.

You can get some tee's that will go to either the radiator or heater hoses. that would be the quickest.. may other Truck or cars have them and you might be able to find a applicaiton and use just the tee.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bczee
you can plug the back one.. but you should use the front one to vent to somewhere in the cooling system, else you might end up with a air pocket and you will over heat.

You can get some tee's that will go to either the radiator or heater hoses. that would be the quickest.. may other Truck or cars have them and you might be able to find a application and use just the tee.
No kidding - why borrow trouble? Even if you braze a little "nipple" onto the top of a radiator tank, or have to replace a section of your upper rad hose with a section of pipe with a fitting, it would really be best to keep the fittings/functionality that the factory designed in.

Think of it this way - given the way that GM (heck, seems like all major corporations these days) would like to save a nickel on each unit, do you think they'd retain that stuff if it wasn't absolutely necessary???

Quick Reply: Steam Vent Hose Question