Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Designing headers in SolidWorks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Designing headers in SolidWorks

Here are a few screen captures of a set of headers I'm designing for my conversion in SolidWorks.

I was really amazed by how easy this was. Solid Works is really an amazing program!

Once I'm done I'm going to call up a few local businesses with CNC mandrel benders to see if they can make each tube section for me; hopefully at a reasonable price if at all.

Even if I am unable to find a place to do this, this will greatly simplify fabrication and make the whole process more economical since less tube will be wasted on trial and error. Particularly with how tight the engine bay on this conversion is.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very Impressive!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

NC mandrel bending probably is higher than laser cutting but I was quoted $80 / hr to post process my .dxf files and then pay $120 / hr + material for the lasering.

Would be pretty though. How much of your vehicle did you model to get them to route around things?

When I was building my drag car, I worked late doing ProE modeling on my frame. I made plots I'd take home and use as patterns for the tubing and compound angle cuts.

Saves work, that's for sure.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Launching!

I hate to say it, but when you add up all the time spent modeling it and subtract the time saved building, I bet you don't come out ahead. Plus, the only way to make sure they'll fit is to build them with the engine in the car. That's how I did mine, no surprises. I didn't have any wasted material either.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:47 AM
On The Tree

Once they are built you can have a header company copy them for $1200 bucks. The design is yours and yours only. Stainless works told me this. I've spent over $2000 just in bends and pipe/mufflers for the complete exhaust for my Volvo.
Attached Thumbnails Designing headers in SolidWorks-picture-149.jpg  
Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmmm,care to make a decent set for a s10?...ha,looks great
Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Here's a product that seems to work well, and allows one to actually fit the "pipe" on the car...
http://www.icengineworks.com/
Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Using high-end CAD (or any other 3-D CAD) is well worth the effort, even if you don't use the data set to make parts from; the planning advantage and the "where do I start and where go" questions are greatly simplified. We used Catia V16 for our design of engine mounts, HydroBoost mounting and radiator/fan mount. The CAD model of the engine mounts was also used for FEA analysis of the stress on the mounts, in addition to hand-calcs to verify the size of the welds. We also verified our assumed loads that the T56 and LS1 apply to the mounts by weighing the drivetrain assembly on 3 scales: under each engine mount and the tranny mount. Weights were: 260lbs on each engine mount, 83lbs on the tranny mount. 603lbs with all accessories and harness.

Check out our E30-LS1 (BMW 325) build thread at:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=699289

Garret & Steve
Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steve VanS
Using high-end CAD (or any other 3-D CAD) is well worth the effort, even if you don't use the data set to make parts from; the planning advantage and the "where do I start and where go" questions are greatly simplified. We used Catia V16 for our design of engine mounts, HydroBoost mounting and radiator/fan mount. The CAD model of the engine mounts was also used for FEA analysis of the stress on the mounts, in addition to hand-calcs to verify the size of the welds. We also verified our assumed loads that the T56 and LS1 apply to the mounts by weighing the drivetrain assembly on 3 scales: under each engine mount and the tranny mount. Weights were: 260lbs on each engine mount, 83lbs on the tranny mount. 603lbs with all accessories and harness.

Check out our E30-LS1 (BMW 325) build thread at:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=699289

Garret & Steve
It's great for production, but the cost/benefit ratio goes down drastically for the hobbyist.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nashty
NC mandrel bending probably is higher than laser cutting but I was quoted $80 / hr to post process my .dxf files and then pay $120 / hr + material for the lasering.

Would be pretty though. How much of your vehicle did you model to get them to route around things?

When I was building my drag car, I worked late doing ProE modeling on my frame. I made plots I'd take home and use as patterns for the tubing and compound angle cuts.

Saves work, that's for sure.
So I presume you ended up fabricating them yourself?

I didn't actually model the engine bay as I still have not removed the engine. Though I plan to do this once the engine is removed and then modify the headers accordingly.

To design these headers I just went by the prototype OEM V8 Catera manifolds, service manaul drawings and photos of the empty engine bay. Building these in SW really did not take very long and is quite easy.

Most of my time was spent attempting to make these with SolidWorks Routing; that was a huge PITA and an enormous waste of time. After I gave up on SW Routing I just went with the conventional assembly approach which was A LOT easier.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hotrod406
I hate to say it, but when you add up all the time spent modeling it and subtract the time saved building, I bet you don't come out ahead. Plus, the only way to make sure they'll fit is to build them with the engine in the car. That's how I did mine, no surprises. I didn't have any wasted material either.
I'm guessing that you've made custom headers before, so in your case you are most likely correct.

But for some one who has no experience, SW et al. may make the process much easier.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Here's a product that seems to work well, and allows one to actually fit the "pipe" on the car...
http://www.icengineworks.com/
I've looked into those as well at it seems like a great product until you see the price........

..... $1600 for a V8 kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and all it is are a few stupid plastic bits that snap together that cost pennies to make!

Unfortunately it's only intended for large shops and teams with big budgets.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
...I didn't actually model the engine bay as I still have not removed the engine. Though I plan to do this once the engine is removed and then modify the headers accordingly...
That right there really kills the point of your model. You'll spend a $1000+ to have the headers produced, then chop them up for re-work (wasting material) if you find they don't fit.

Either model the engine and the engine bay, or build them in the car from cut/welded donuts and J-tube. If you're careful with your measurements and cuts, building a set of headers from scratch is not too difficult (just time consuming).
Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
I'm guessing that you've made custom headers before, so in your case you are most likely correct.

But for some one who has no experience, SW et al. may make the process much easier.

I don't think anyone that can't build a set of headers from pieces can model a functional set and then have the pipes bent. Someone would still have to weld them together. It'd be a $3000 set of headers. Trial and error is the best way to fabrication experience. No need to turn every project into a production.

Here's a pic of mine. It's my first set and I spent three weekends and several week nights on them. All 304.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Have you heard of this guy "Headers by Ed, Inc." his website is dead but apparently he is still in business. I have never dealt with him but he has a good rep on the forums. He sales kits for you to build your own custom headers. Good luck and nice Cad work by the way.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itslow
That right there really kills the point of your model. You'll spend a $1000+ to have the headers produced, then chop them up for re-work (wasting material) if you find they don't fit.
Of course I only plan to have them built once the V8 is in the bay and have made all of the required measurments.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hotrod406
Here's a pic of mine. It's my first set and I spent three weekends and several week nights on them. All 304.
Very nice work!

Did you do all of the welding and cutting yourself? How much did the tubing cost and flanges cost you?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Also check out the following thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread...=116979&page=3

User MonsterZ on the Hybrid Z forum used an interesting product for his header tube mockup.

I've uploaded pics so you don't have to register and log in.

The material is called Clavalfex, manufactured by a company in Cleveland OH. It's used for piping and wiring insulation and holds its shape when bent and is quite rigid.

http://www.clevaflex.com/about.php

He spent under $100 for all of it.
Attached Thumbnails Designing headers in SolidWorks-2-17-06-20149.jpg   Designing headers in SolidWorks-12-01-06-20001.jpg   Designing headers in SolidWorks-12-01-06-20002.jpg   Designing headers in SolidWorks-12-01-06-20003.jpg   Designing headers in SolidWorks-12-01-06-20004.jpg  

Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Launching!

pics cont.
Attached Thumbnails Designing headers in SolidWorks-12-01-06-20005.jpg   Designing headers in SolidWorks-12-01-06-20006.jpg   Designing headers in SolidWorks-321_turbo_merge.jpg   Designing headers in SolidWorks-car-20016.jpg   Designing headers in SolidWorks-header.jpg  

Old 04-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Wow, the collector on that thing is amazing. A far more involved project than mine.

I did all the work on mine myself. The parts were $650 total. The collectors were $165 from Meg'sexhaust.com. They are a lot nicer than the common swedged collectors that most places offer. I highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: Designing headers in SolidWorks