Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any way to lockout 2nd gear over "X" mph?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to lockout 2nd gear over "X" mph?

I am not great at shifting apparently and have accidentally, while banging teh 3/4 shift, hit second. I cannot figure this out Ive done it 1000's of times correctly but I don't want to risk it happening again....is there a way to lockout 2nd over X mph?

If not I will invent it.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe just install a better shifter?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to keep your elbow closer to the passenger side to make a good 3-4 shift. Don't just concentrate on the wrist forward but the position of the whole arm.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hellbents10
You have to keep your elbow closer to the passenger side to make a good 3-4 shift. Don't just concentrate on the wrist forward but the position of the whole arm.
+1

grip the top of the shifter instead of gripping the side of it
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be a smart ***...yes there is a way to lock out second gear, and at any MPH you want!!!

its called not shifting to second...

lol, but seriously there isnt. just practice you're technique more, that's how i do it.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

the stock shifter does this a lot and i would def. reccommend getting an aftermarket shifter because even though our cars have rev limiters they dont work when you downshift like that and that is a good way to bend your pushrods you have a bent pushrod if the car falls on its face after 5400 rpms get a new shifter havent missed a gear yet with my pro 5.0 but if you get it make sure its adjusted good
Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

When shifting 1-2 and 3-4, make a cup with your hand, place your hand on the top of the shifter and pull straight back. You will never miss that shift with that technique
Old 04-16-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it sounds like you can change your grip on the shifter and you'll help yourself.

A new shifter makes a WORLD of difference for most people.

I was trying to find the vid, or picture description of what Im about to say, but I cant seem to find it.

When I go 1-2, I have my palm facing the drivers side, and I pull straight back. The palm orientation will make it go to the left if anything. So 2nd gets hit.

2-3 gets the palm facing forward, and I push straight up (pro 5.0). As long as I push straight up, smooth and quick, it will hit 3rd every single time.

3-4, if I want to bang it...I put my palm facing the PASS. side, and pull straight back. Sort of putting my hand upside down. If I miss 4th, it wont go into 2nd, it'll go into 6th. No biggie... I know it sounds awkward, and it does take a couple times to get used to it, but it works for bangin em.

But check out some new shifters... I recommend the pro 5.0. But anything is an improvement over stock.

J.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a short shifter handle for my stock Hurst and that made a HUGE difference. the handle is slightly slanted towards the drivers side. For me, it made a HUGE difference, i guess it is b/c of the way i held the shifter or something. Also; i didn't want to spend the $$$ on a Pro 5.0 at that time. try the short handle; i bought it off a sponsor from here (I'm sorry i don't rememeber the exact one). I don't think it costs more then $45 (i bought it last summer). try it out.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, you could re-program the computer so that CAGS always blocks 2nd gear, no matter what speed!! Perfect 1st --> 4th shifts every time!!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont force the shift into gear just let it go in just point it iin the right direction it goes in everytime for me
Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Look at my times and mods, I knwo how to drive. I have made the shift perfectly manymany many times.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's in the hand technique. Shifting doesn't require your whole arm to be in the process. A lot of people bang gears using the force of the whole arm when really it doesn't need it. A proper shift will find it's way into gear quite well if your hand is in the correct position.

Grab the shifter and pull from the front of it directly back, not to the passenger side or the driver's side. Try it slowly at first during cruising to get your arm accustomed to it. You can usually get away with only having your middle finger or your middle and ring finger applying the pressure. The springs within the shifter will keep it straight, so all you have to do is learn to keep your arm from applying "side" pressure to the left or right.

To make your arm remember the difference in the 1-2 and 5-6 shift, you need to basically change the position of your hand to be somewhat different. My 1-2 shift has my pinky more wrapped around the shifter ball a bit while my 5-6 has my thumb on the ball. only the 3-4 has neither my pinky or thumb making any significant contact. By having different hand positions for each shift, you give a different muscle memory for the shift. Eventually this will stick even if you do a quicker shift. That's how most of us shift well, we don't think about it, we bang gears because we perfected our shift positions with either trial and error (lotsa transmission repairs for these folks), or just plain practice. If you aren't comfortable shifting quick in normal driving, WOT shifting on track or racing isn't something you should dive right into. You should be able to drive in normal everyday driving choosing whatever gear you want without giving it a second thought.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

The only way I can see someone going from 3-2, is they are gripping the shifter with their palm facing them and pulling back. Its the LAST shift Id expect someone to f-up when racing. 2-3, sure, but not 1-2 or 3-4
Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ravensfan
The only way I can see someone going from 3-2, is they are gripping the shifter with their palm facing them and pulling back. Its the LAST shift Id expect someone to f-up when racing. 2-3, sure, but not 1-2 or 3-4

It happens easier than you think.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=MOV01340.flv
Old 04-18-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

If thats you in your car...

1) Your car sounds pretty damn good.

2) It sounded like you were smooth. One thing you dont want to do is force yourself to shift fast. You want to concentrate on hittnig the gear. Speed will come naturally. I started off shifting slower than granny. But once you do it, you build muscle memory, and you'll be able to pick up the pace. But if you arent hitting the gears, being fast wont get you anywhere.

Ide say do some shifter improvements, and just keep practicing.

J.