General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible Bad head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Bad head gasket?

I have a 1995 firebird with the 5.7 V8, 6 speed. (95k miles, non-formula/TA) I recently pull it out this spring and the low coolant light came on. This happened last fall, I checked the fluid level and it was topped off. This time, it was half empty and took half a gallon of premix coolant to top off.

I checked the dipstick and it isn't foamy or white, just the standard dirty color indicating that the oil needs changed, but it seems like the oil is over full by a bit. It doesn't have an anti freeze smell that I can determine, but when I start it up, there's white smoke from the exhaust (rich smell, but not really a sweet, sickly smell).

It runs fine from what I can see (no visible loss of power) and the white smoke seems to disipate after a little bit of driving. I have an inspection coming up this week and i'll have them do a pressure test and an oil change while they're at it, but I wanted opinions from some folk on what it might be. It doesn't seem to have all the signs of a bad head gasket. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they make block testing kits you can get from like napa or whatever...uses a dye and you blow air through a tube...test the exhaust gas from the coolant...the dye will change color and then you will know
Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Teching In

well it looks like I have something bad going on. went to have new tires put on and leaving, the car started to shudder so i turned it off. White smoke in the back and coolant from the exhaust. It didnt run more than a minute or so when it started, so i hope there is minimal to no damage.

Im guessing a head gasket or both.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its hard to say it could be a cupple thing, Have you checked your oil is it milky and over full? But its hard to tell these kinda things because I'd have to be looking at the car to be for shure?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Well the oil level is over full but the oil color is the color of coffee or so, little or no milky substance that I saw. Sadly, I wont know til friday, since the pontiac tech they have that does it is in training for the week.

I do know the radiator was extremely low. It drove perfectly fine the 20 miles to the tire store, but once there, it went kaput. It is startable and driveable, but I don't want to cause any damage. (plus it sounded horrible the brief amount of time it was running)
Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Well, theres something majorly wrong internally. The pontiac dealer called and told me its going to cost 1700 just to break the top end down to find whats wrong. If its just bad head gaskets, then maybe another 300 or so, but if the heads need work or they're bad, im looking at another 1500 for those.

It looks like I may have to part the car out at this point because frankly, while i could come up with the cash in a pinch, theres no guarantee something else is wrong that they may miss.

It's pretty sad too, because the rest of the car is in great shape. 95k on the car, new tires, interior is clean and fully optioned with T-tops, 6 speed
Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bummer to bad you cant do your owne work. If you lived around here I'd help ya.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Ive worked on cars before and at this point, if the motor is toast, its not gonna hurt anything but my hands to break it down myself. The bad thing is im not sure what id be looking for once i had the top end removed. Most of my prior experience with cars is on pre-1988 stuff which is a lot easier to work with.

I'm not sure what im gonna do about it quite yet. I just figure with the amount its going to cost to have the top end worked on, in the long run its likely cheaper to order a crate motor and go that route. The 6 speed just had the clutch done last year and everything else is fine, its just the motor that holding it back now.

edit: and thanks, if you were closer, at least one of us would know what to look for
Old 04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can get a warrantied crate ls1 from jasper or sdpc for right around 4k...not bad idea if you want something reliable...if you had planned on going performance with your short block, nows the time...breaking it down ALL the way...

I HAD to get a jasper motor due to my cars warranty from the dealer...im not unhappy at all...100k mile warranty to beat on my car and it runs like a champ now
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Well it seems a prior owner accidently swapped the # 5 and 7
fuel injector wires so that over time, the head gasket got burnt and leaked. No idea if the head itself took damage, but the gaskets need replaced. Everything else checks out fine so its a matter of new gaskets and possible a new head.

I was looking at some performance heads by edelbrock. Anyone recommend some decent yet affordable heads? I priced the edelbrock at ~460 bucks each.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

just get a set off an ls6...you can get a budget boost for that price total...
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

He has an LT1.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

my fault...for an lt1 edlebrock does make some pretty good heads...friend of mine has them...