Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1-67 camaro front clip questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1-67 camaro front clip questions

im planing on putting an ls1 into my 67 camaro, it is a 67 camaro with a 327 and powerglide and im putting an 00 camaro ls1 witha t56. im aso looking into buying a new front clip with 12'' rotors with 4 piston calipers,it will also have rack n pinion. i believe that the clip will come with ready installed LS1 motor mounts for this aplication.
questions are
1. can i fit hooker longtubes on this with the clip and will it clear, or do i have to get hooker motor mounts for the hooker headers to clear?

2. im thinking of getting an f13 cam for it but ive heard that painless wireing offers this cam and wire harness for about 1500 ready for this whole set up, what do u guys think would be the best way to go with this option?

3. what radiator should work good on the 67 with the ls1 that wont leave me broke?

4. i want to keep most of my interior looking stock but i kno i have to get new gauges, what should i do for that as far as guuages ive heard taht autometer 5'' gauges will fit in the stock place of the OG 67 camaro gauges.

5. what pedals should i use since im going to swap from an auto to a 6 speed?

6. im going to get my stock 10 bolt redone to take the power of the ls1, im getting 373 gears with rear disc brakes and posi, im running new mono leaf springs in the back. will this hold up for the power of the ls1 with jsut a cam and full exhaust?

7.what shifter boat can i use to make it look as OEM as posible on the 67?
thanks for any help that i get in advanced
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which front clip are you buying? I don't think anyone can answer that question about headers.

I used the Art Morrison front clip with their mounts and headers. Everything went together without a hitch. It is a very well engineered package, take a look. I used the stock F body oil pan and accessories with a Vintage air bracket to mount a Sanden compressor in the stock location. I purchased C5 Z06 rotors, abuttments and calipers to get a very cost effective brake package.

Don
Old 04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

1. What dhutton said. and +1 for the AME subframe being sweet--I want one!

2. I'd go with Speartech or Wait4me for a harness and PCM

3. You can use any radiator. I used a 68 Camaro application 4-core stock/smallblock sized radiator. 67rss used an LS1 F-body radiator. Some people spend a bunch of money on a BeCool or Ron Davis.

4. You can adapt your stock gauges to the LS1--that's what 67rsss did. You can rig 5" aftermarket gauges in a 67 instrument panel. Check out the interiors forum on camaros.net for dozens of discussions and pictures of various gauge setups. There's also a new classic instruments panel I saw in the jegs catalog that puts a full set of gauges (combo's) into a normal 67-68 bipod panel.

5. 67 pedals. You can get repros from places like Rick's.

6. If you run wimpy tires you'll be OK. If you ever run slicks or drag radials, you will break the 8.2. I'd recommended a Moser 12bolt with Ford-style ends/bearings (no C-clips).

7. Are you using a console? if so, you can either slide the console back, or use a McLeod offset shifter. If not, just replace the carpet, cut the new hole in it farther back, and bolt down a stock '67 boot over it. I think the stock '67 boot should fit fine although I haven't tried it myself. My shifter hole is only about 1/4" wider than the original 4spd hole--and I only made it that wide so I could R&R my shifter from the top side.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Stock clip with Hookers and ATS mounts works, dont know about anything else for sure.
2. I have heard nothing but good things about speartech and their setups. You can get a used cam on the board for pretty cheap here. There are a few cams as equally good if not better than the F13 cam available.
3. I used an LT1 radiator with fans and it fit perfect. Had to drill a hole on the passenger side of radiator support for coolant drain fitting but i was able to drill holes in the radiators flange at the top to bolt it on and the botton i made some brackets to attach to the flanges.
4. Covans classic makes gauge setups or you can do like i did and get a blank covans classics gauge bezel and cut holes for the gauges you want to use.
5. 67-68 manual pedals can be used. I got mine form t56kit.com for like $69. You will need an adjustable clutch master cylinder or a modified clutch master cylinder to attach it to the clutch pedal. You will also need the t56kit.com clutch master cylinder mounting plate.
6. I'm running a 74 nova 8.5" 10 bolt with richmond 4.56s. I picked it up for $350. the 8.5" 10 bolts are suprisingly strong. Alot of threads out there claiming them to be as strong or stronger than 12 bolts (8.875"). I'll be running M/T Et drags, putting down around 440rwhp+ when i put my heads on and spraying a 100 shot on top of it and I'm not worried about my rear.
7. That is entirely up to you for how you want it to look. I'm running no console although i do have a spare 4th gen console that i'm debating test fitting.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

to u 3 who replied, thanks. u guys helped a lot....im going to do a lil more research on what u guys told me about.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else want to help with their 2cents
Old 04-19-2008, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by 59 camaro
im planing on putting an ls1 into my 67 camaro, im aso looking into buying a new front clip with 12'' rotors with 4 piston calipers,it will also have rack n pinion. i believe that the clip will come with ready installed LS1 motor mounts for this aplication.
questions are
1. can i fit hooker longtubes on this with the clip and will it clear, or do i have to get hooker motor mounts for the hooker headers to clear?
Who makes the clip. Is it a stock clip that has been upgraded or a aftermarket clip??

3. what radiator should work good on the 67 with the ls1 that wont leave me broke?
If your on a budget, use the factory 69 rad for now. Save up some cash and get an aluminum tig welded rad (as inexpensive as $500) through Summit.

4. i want to keep most of my interior looking stock but i kno i have to get new gauges, what should i do for that as far as guuages ive heard taht autometer 5'' gauges will fit in the stock place of the OG 67 camaro gauges.
Unless yours are shot, who said you have to get new gauges?!? Do what 67rsss did and install the converter that translates the electronic signal to a mechanical signal (spinning cable) to the factory gauges.

5. what pedals should i use since im going to swap from an auto to a 6 speed?
You should trade pedals with me since I'm swaping from a manual to a auto!

6. im going to get my stock 10 bolt redone to take the power of the ls1, im getting 373 gears with rear disc brakes and posi, im running new mono leaf springs in the back. will this hold up for the power of the ls1 with jsut a cam and full exhaust?
I guess that would depend on how you drive the car. I plan on treating my car like a rental so I opted for the Moser 12 bolt.

ChrisP
Old 04-19-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

thanks chrisp 3....im going with an aftermarket clip off CPP and im going with a 9'' rear end....im also getting the covan's guages...as far as pedals if u think i can use the pedals off ur car i will def trade u
Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 59 camaro
thanks chrisp 3....im going with an aftermarket clip off CPP and im going with a 9'' rear end....im also getting the covan's guages...as far as pedals if u think i can use the pedals off ur car i will def trade u
Will that CCP clip allow you to use the stock accessories and pulleys etc or will you have to buy an aftermarket setup? Were you able to get any performance data or was the purchase based on price alone?

Don
Old 04-20-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

i just got back from the pomona carshow in CA and i bought the guages and i ordered the front clip....the guy said the mtor should bolt on with all the accesories with no problem

Quick Reply: ls1-67 camaro front clip questions