Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

questions for Marines

Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions for Marines

I am 18 about to finish highschool, I have looked into the Marines and have talked to my recruiter. But I want to ask those who have been in things about it.
The Recruiter promised me I could be a mechanic and can secure me a job, is this true?

Does the buddy system really work as in you will be with your buddy at base, boot camp, barracks, everything?

Can you take college classes while on base and be able to get a degree, in a 4 year enlistment fairly easy, or do you kill yourself between work and school?

Can you get the lasik eye surgery for nothing, just sign up and wait?

Do you get money for a house?

If any can help me answer these it will much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice avatar

gota link to the full size version of that pic?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aggiez28
nice avatar

gota link to the full size version of that pic?
no not right now it is on the webn website "salute to the underboob"
Old 04-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Teching In

The Recruiter promised me I could be a mechanic and can secure me a job, is this true?

Don't believe your recuiter. All they can do is promise you a MOS field. They might be able to get you a mechanic no problem but make sure that the MOS in your MEPS paperwork is correct before you sign it.

Does the buddy system really work as in you will be with your buddy at base, boot camp, barracks, everything?

Buddy system does work to an extent. You will go throught boot camp together and after that it all depends if you friend has the same MOS or not. If they are the same you will go to school together but will probably get stationed at seperate places.

Can you take college classes while on base and be able to get a degree, in a 4 year enlistment fairly easy, or do you kill yourself between work and school?

College is a little tricky. You have to do it on your own time. They will not give you time off to go to college unless you are in an officers program in which you go to college then become an officer.

Not sure about this one as I got out before they offered it. But did hear that you can sign up and get it done for free but I wouldnt trust the military doctors to do anything.

This is tricky as well because unless you are married you will be in the barracks until you are at least a NCO. Even then you have to have a reason to move out in town and get the money for a house or apartment.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

I am by no means saying not to go in, but a recruiter will tell you what you want to hear to make his quota for the month.

Yes, you can get lasik eye surgery, but you will have to wait a while, like once you become a fleet marine and have been deemed in need of the surgery.

Money for a house? Only if you are married you will get a set amount per month in addition to your pay, based on your rank......so for a while your housing allowance will be crap. Once you pick up E-6, it get pretty decent IMO.

The recruiter promised you a job? LOL. GOOD ONE. He may be able to get a job field but I doubt a specific job, unless you are some smarty pants rocket scientist, but then if you were you wouldn't be a mechanic, you would be intel or avionics. He will say that you will get a job field, example the "2300" field is logistics.....that could be: supply, supply admin, ammo etc.... whatever you do, get something SPECIFIC in WRITING.

Buddy system worked for the few people in my platoon that went in on it. They went through boot camp together, but were separated during MCT and then went seperate ways during MOS school.

You can take classes, you will have to wait a shjort while for enough to be paid into your GI Bill, but if you are a mechanic, you will have long *** days and most likely wont make it to college on time. Plus, if your dept. is short handed, going to school can be up to your commands discretion. You berst bet is to just take some online classes and get 50% done w/ school while in the USMC. Not to mention, you will deploy overseas and that alone puts a damper on school.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Launching!

the recruiter said as I am on base and am enrolled in a college class I would do work one day and school the next and take saturday classes that are 6 hours long. I know not to believe most of what they say but Im trying to get a good Idea of what I should do.
I either go to college and get a full time job and pay for school or go into the Corps and try to get my degree in there and transfer back to being a civilian.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just go to the Naval academy and become a officer. i did my 5 got out for two then they recalled me back for another one, which is where i am now. If i could do it all over again officer would be the way i went, 200% better living and accommodations. I also say i would chose the air wing. There will always be planes around and my job on the civilian side started at 75k a year and i do my same job as i did when i was in(just get to wear real clothes and facial hair). I would also try to go to all the recruiters and see what they can offer, no one branch is better than the other, they all pay the same but if its college you want then the Marine Corps is probably the wrong choice. Get anything they say in writing!!! If they don't put it in the contract it is a lie!

PM me if you have anymore Q's
Old 04-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

If you are wanting to get a degree while enlisted, your better off going to college first. Join the ROTC program and while in it decide whether you want the military life. I have 2 Marines in my shop that go to college after work, they can do it and when time and work allows it i let them go earlier or get extra time off to help. But dont expect anyone to allow this. I have another 2 Marines on the list for Lasik, one of them has only been in a year, but like said above, they have to evaluate you and after all that you get put on a list (wait list). If your recruiter "promised" you a MOS, see it in writing then sigh the papers. don't sign the papers until you can go in within 30 days that way you get the $3k enlistment incentive. Unless your married you will not get money to live out in town. Hell im a damn Sgt and i still have to live in the barracks. although barracks life is getting much better compared to years ago. some bases are better than others. If you want to be a mechanic, be an aircraft mechanic, all my runins with the "wingers" has shown me how relaxed the job is and easy going. good luck
Old 04-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Stay away from Marine recruiters as they are notorious liars. There is no way for them to gaurantee your MOS. Once you inlist it is out of their hands. You will most likely be 0311 (basic rifleman) same as me 15 years ago. It is based on need. As for the buddy system, I was in it. As soon as we got on the bus the troop handlers asked everyone who was on the buddy system and immediately seperated us permanently. Take out a Stafford loan and go to school now. If you want to learn how to be a man listen to your father. I went to school on the Whiskey Sam bill which isn't **** and I still have loans out. And "on base taking class" is a lie. Marines fight (the only Marines not in the fight now are the recruiters). You will be in Iraq taking fire, not classes.

If you are hell bent on inlisting, go in the Air Force and become a radiologist.
Just my.02

Last edited by rapid1der; 04-16-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

work one day school the next???? LOL......PM me your recruiters #'s, I'll tell him he is full-o-****. being a Marine is a FULL TIME job, especially since the middle east is in turmoil. IF you do become a mechanic, YOU WILL GO TO IRAQ. That is a busy *** MOS, Marines break ****, that's just the way it is. If you fix a Humvee on Monday morning, the same one will come back busted all to hell Monday afternoon. Trust me bro, your recruiter is one of the worst bullshitters there is.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by batman08
I am 18 about to finish highschool, I have looked into the Marines and have talked to my recruiter. But I want to ask those who have been in things about it.

Yes he can get you a specific job. If you want to be a mechanic make sure that he/she PUTS ON YOUR CONTRACT 3521 that is the Marine Corps number for that job. DO NOT let them talk you into lets do this or that, if you get locked in to that job then your ship date might vary, as in you might have to leave earlier or later than you buddy. Also that is one of the busiest job right now with the deployment cycle being the way it is right now. You will also see Iraq or Afgan two may be even three times in four years, so be prepared for that one also.

This system usually only works if you and your buddys last name is close. The platoons in boot camp is set up usually by last names A-G etc you get the picture. If they ask you if you're on the buddy program shut your mouth.

Yes you can go to college it is going to depend heavly on where you're at ex Div, Wing, MLG, Base. If you're with a Base unit you'll have time as civilians usually run everything out there. Once youget on a deployment cycle however it's going to be damn near impossible to get to classes. Depending on what your C.O.s guidance is you might get time for classes. But in no way is it going to be one day at work and one in class.

Yes you can get it, however the Navy does not do lasik, they do PRK which is better in my opinion. I had it done a few years ago and have 20/10 vision with no problems. The Navy has a better track record that their civilian counter parts on this specific surgery. I was only on the waiting list for may be 20 days. If your C.O. knows how to write you should only be on it for may be a few months. With the deployment cycle it might stop youfrom getting it though, but on the flip side to that with so many people deploying they usually can't make their appointment so if frees up a lot of them.

Unless you are supporting your parents, brother, sister, or kid that is the only way you'll get housing to live of base.

If any can help me answer these it will much appreciated. Thank you.

hope that helps you out a little

Last edited by blackws69; 04-16-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned

blackws69, thats some good info. It should help him out a little more.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Launching!

thank you you guys are really helping me.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two the people replying in this thread are personal friends of mine, and are 100% right.

I am a 3521, we are some BUSY SOB's, its a little better now, but dont be surprised if you work from 0700-???? Ive worked OVER 24 hours straight, and this was here in the US. In Iraq you can count on 18, 20+ hour days EVERYDAY for 7+ Months. It may sound crazy, but I really love what I do and I wouldnt change what I do. We deploy, alot. Dont let that sway you, I know alot of Marines that would prefer being deployed than working here in the states, it really gives you a sense of occomplishment when you know you are helping out the Marines out there beatin feat and getting shot at everyday. Just my .02
Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well im in the wing and we are busy as **** all the time. our a/c are old as hell and our pilots are hard as **** on them. prepare to work your *** off as a mech.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Launching!

(As you could probably tell, I will write my answers in bold.)

No, just like everyone else said, he can only promise you an MOS field, and even so, I'd get that in writing. I'm in Intelligence and my recruiter made my job out to be this awesome job kind of like the FBI and such. One word, liar. It's not like that at all.

Yeah it works, for Boot Camp. And I'm sure that's as far as it goes. I went to boot camp with my cousin and best friend. My best friend and I went to the same platoon initially but my cousin got seperated. Our Senior DI asked us who was in the buddy program, we told him, he got my cousin in with us. So that was nice. Other than that, I was lied to. My recruiter told me, my cousin and I and my best friend would be stationed together and could possibly live together. False.

I took 2 college courses last year, in Iraq. That sucked. You can go to college in the states on base but you'll have to do it after work. I worked 13 hours days in Iraq, went to the gym for an hour, did at least an hour of school, 30-45 to get ready for bed, averaged maybe 6 hours of sleep a night in Iraq. Wouldn't recommend doing school out there.

Yeah it's free but there is a huge waiting list. You are actually entitled to one free elective surgery while on Active Duty. If you don't believe me, PM me and I'll tell you more about that. BUT, I wouldn't trust the military doctors to fix you. My roommate has had 4 surgeries on his hand that should have been a simple fix. He broke it 4-wheeling, not too bad. They still have him on light duty and not fixed after 5 months now and 4 surgeries later.

Just like the others said, you get BAH if you are married or a SNCO. If you aren't either of the 2 listed above, and you're an E-5 and below, good luck, unless you know someone.

Hope that helps. Honestly bro, don't join. If you care about your family, money, living comfortably, living without people treating you like the ground you walk on, don't join. Go to college, get a degree and stay a civilian. For those still serving active duty, "Say YES to EAS."

My $0.02 and I know most everyone in this section wont like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: questions for Marines