Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Made a little more tonight with the APS kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Made a little more tonight with the APS kit

Going to the track tomorrw but after tuning on the car since 8:00pm till now we got a little more out of her. Had to route the wastegate setup two more times in order to get it right. Even at that my e boost maxxed out would only net us 12.5 psi. It did go from 687 rwhp to 711 rwhp. So later on today Ill head to the track and try once again for a single digit pass Boost ducts looked fine and 12.5. Just wish I had changed the waste gate springs before I installed it But if APS sells the upgrade Ill bite the bullet and upgrade. Hope everyone that bought kits is getting alot closer. Would like to see a few more track times posted. Time for bed fewwwwwwwwww
Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Cool stuff. Can you post up a diagram or explain how you routed the eboost 2 with this kit? I'm at that part of my install and want to do it right the first time. Thanks and good luck~!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-16-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

maybe you should inquire about this?
http://www.turbosmart.com.au/index.p...ownload&id=172
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

im close.....work has been kickin my *** and havent had any time to work on it. should be up and running by this weekend. and a vid to follow....

Goodluck at the Track JM!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm that is disappointing ,was hoping to see some big new dyno numbers from you. Well expect less than a m6 car since of course you have 4l80.

So a bit unclear. The standard wastegate springs might be not letting you go past that 12.5 is that your main guess?.

It does sound like they are nightmare to change out once the turbos and gates are installed and it looks even tighter with 4l80 in there.

So you don't think its the turbos not being able to put out past 12.5 on the 402.?
A quick and dirty test is to just not hook up the gates. Watch the boost gauge and take it up carefully to 15 or so and confirm these turbos will at least boost higher.

So wonder how high a spring is needed then to get it to 15psi or 18psi . 18psi will almost for sure be my max boost level if the turbos can put out that much on the 408.
Maybe have to upgrade too. Hoping a few guys can do some more experimenting and soon as was going to do my install next month and need to decide what springs to install and if would send the unused turbos back for the upgraded ones.

Personally will be pretty happy with a 10 second car even and running around at 12 might be ok too lots of safety margin but guy hates to leave too much power on the table. Now we know APS cranked big power from their forged 346 mule at think 18 to 20psi. Wonder what springs they were running to hit that boost level.Talking their first dyno not the one with upgraded turbo wheels.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
maybe you should inquire about this?
http://www.turbosmart.com.au/index.p...ownload&id=172
Maybe you should read more of my posts That doesnt help much.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hmm that is disappointing ,was hoping to see some big new dyno numbers from you. Well expect less than a m6 car since of course you have 4l80.

So a bit unclear. The standard wastegate springs might be not letting you go past that 12.5 is that your main guess?.

It does sound like they are nightmare to change out once the turbos and gates are installed and it looks even tighter with 4l80 in there.

So you don't think its the turbos not being able to put out past 12.5 on the 402.?
A quick and dirty test is to just not hook up the gates. Watch the boost gauge and take it up carefully to 15 or so and confirm these turbos will at least boost higher.

So wonder how high a spring is needed then to get it to 15psi or 18psi . 18psi will almost for sure be my max boost level if the turbos can put out that much on the 408.
Maybe have to upgrade too. Hoping a few guys can do some more experimenting and soon as was going to do my install next month and need to decide what springs to install and if would send the unused turbos back for the upgraded ones.

Personally will be pretty happy with a 10 second car even and running around at 12 might be ok too lots of safety margin but guy hates to leave too much power on the table. Now we know APS cranked big power from their forged 346 mule at think 18 to 20psi. Wonder what springs they were running to hit that boost level.Talking their first dyno not the one with upgraded turbo wheels.
LOL Disapointed? Nope. With a six speed and a street tire I would see well into 750 to the tire. Im not about numbers as Ive said before, Its about track times PERIOD! Ill get it to crank out more safely when I have time to remove the gates. But untill then this will have to do. Also I am not locking up my converter. Ill be at the track in a couple of hrs so we will see what these weaksauce numbers can do
Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

No sorry that came out wrong. I realize that 720 rwhp on auto is like 900 engine hp. And at 12psi that is still very good. I am mostly just curious to see if the standard turbos can give 850rwhp on m6 or 800rwhp on an auto on a 402 or 408. Could be harder to get those numbers on my car as currently trying that mild gt7 cam.

I realize you are already on the borderline of 9s in the quarter and thats plenty smoking fast and more than I need in my street car. I guess its just a psychological number I want to see on the dynos more than anything. Even if run it daily at 10 or 12psi just knowing you have the capabilty to go say 15 or 18psi and see the above goal numbers is comforting to an old speed freak.

I may still use some small shots of spray on my car anyway. Have a zex wet kit lying around but was going to maybe go direct port kit at some point. Partly for looks at the car shows and partly because n20 and turbos work well together. So can just put in a 100 shot or whatever if fall a bit short on the 850 m6 and 800 auto numbers. At least with forged engine should be no problem to hit the power level with boost and n20 combined.

Still JM if you want to experiment with disconnecting the gates and see if you can indeed get 15 or 18. Your tune should be safe enough for a few more pounds and your engine is forged of course. I have done the no line to gate thing in my talons several times carefully to check things out. I am curious as to what boost levels these snails can hit on the 402 and 408s.Course then we still may have that intake tube collapse problem interfering. You have not mentioned if you were sent new intake tubes yet?

Also JM you said you had 90psi and melling pump. I think have same pump going into my build. So you have the higher pressure or is it higher volume spring installed with no oil problems correct. Again just want to clarify.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

exuse me, sounded like you were fighting with eboost 2 configuration, and this is another option to achieve max boost.

if the boost is being limited by the turbo system then i reccomend this link

www.turbotechnologyinc.com
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry but forgot to ask. You still have 4.10 gears in there? What redline are you using?

Good luck at the track of course.

Does not locking up the converter affect dyno numbers and if so by about how much? Not as familar with autos but seriously thinking of ditching my t56 for 4l80.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Going to the track tomorrw but after tuning on the car since 8:00pm till now we got a little more out of her. Had to route the wastegate setup two more times in order to get it right. Even at that my e boost maxxed out would only net us 12.5 psi. It did go from 687 rwhp to 711 rwhp. So later on today Ill head to the track and try once again for a single digit pass Boost ducts looked fine and 12.5. Just wish I had changed the waste gate springs before I installed it But if APS sells the upgrade Ill bite the bullet and upgrade. Hope everyone that bought kits is getting alot closer. Would like to see a few more track times posted. Time for bed fewwwwwwwwww
Just wondering, do you have a cage or any parts to keep car tight(bmr).

I am wondering what is the max these can take ? I have some bmr parts and Kenny Brown DD subframe connectors,(welded in)

NO TT kit YET !!!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

for some future insight.... to remove the gates, for the passenger side which seems to be a big pain the ***, the best way i have found is to just remove the downpipe assembly. One of the bolts is a pain to get back on the downpipe, but getting just the wastegate off itself is nearly impossible and will drive you insane. Hope this helps and saves you some time later! Good luck tonight!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
exuse me, sounded like you were fighting with eboost 2 configuration, and this is another option to achieve max boost.

if the boost is being limited by the turbo system then i reccomend this link

www.turbotechnologyinc.com
You see a long time ago I was going to buy it. But the under the k member down pipe was a major turn off. Then removing my AC living in Texas is a huge LMAO! I am almost to that point bro! I do have Rossler building my brake and MVB Off to the track. Be on tonight!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Is taking off the gate top going to be a problem for m6 guys or just you a4 guys?Although might be an a4 guy next year then would change out my springs when swap my tranny.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Is taking off the gate top going to be a problem for m6 guys or just you a4 guys?Although might be an a4 guy next year then would change out my springs when swap my tranny.
NO....there's no clearance issue with the M6 trans. we have more than enough room to work with. allthough i havent had the need to remove the wastegate off just yet, in lookin at it though, doesnt look like a big deal...plenty of room.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Good to know at least for m6 guys. And you don't have to remove the gate to change out springs. You just take off the gate hat. I have done it several times on my 97 talon with 44 tial wastegate.The pressure is nuts though once you start going up to like 10 or more psi springs. We used a hydraulic press at buddies shop to put in 20psi springs and that did require taking off the gate. Possibly could do it with c clamp or something similar. Too bad they didn't locate the gate a bit better for auto cars.
I know this sucks too but would it be easier to take off exhaust manifold and lower things down a bit that way?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmm so nothing from JM yet..hope you got that 9 second pass JM..suspense is killing me.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
9 Second Club

10.06@140 Videos later. Im working on my vette's belt slip. LOL MY car weighs 4350 LMAO
Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
10.06@140 Videos later. Im working on my vette's belt slip. LOL MY car weighs 4350 LMAO
You car weighs what?

Quick Reply: Made a little more tonight with the APS kit