General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

First problem and it is an electrical one! Windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First problem and it is an electrical one! Windows

So today the passenger went down slow. Did the driver and it went down about half way and stopped. Now the driver's side is up and wont move at all. The passenger side moves when it wants too! First problem with the car since I have owned it for 2 weeks and I bet it is going to be a bitch! Doubt it is the switch because the passenger side works the same on that switch. Any ideas?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful f-body window club! Check the door switches first if the connections are good you need new motors. I got mine from AutoZone for like 50 bucks a peice with a life time warrenty. Do a search for the shoebox guide to help you install them. Its pretty easy and alot cheaper to do them yourself.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Sun went down and they are working again. What gives?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Sun went down and they are working again. What gives?
>>

Sounds like either the relay that controls the flow of power to the motor or the motor is getting weak and needed a break.

I had the same problem even after the dealer installed a new motor, it would do that at random after the dealer put in the new motor. I took my car back to the dealer to show them the problem. The dealer could not replecate the problem. I noticed a relay clicking under the dash if I pressed the button up to roll it up and it would only click in the relay and not move the window. After I tried to show the tech the problem by makeing the window go all the way up and all the way down many times in a row. ( trying to make it mess up.) It would not duplicate the problem for him. I left the dealer and have never had "that" kind of problem again.

It could be bad mojo or the alignment of the stars....

I have since replaced the regulator track wheels and another motor also making sure they are free from binding.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Launching!

If you plan on owning an F-body for any length of time, you'll be needing a motor sooner or later.

I bought mine on Ebay. It was less than $25 shipped with hardware and warranty. I figure that all these motors are cheap pieces of junk so I might as well get the cheapest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

Worked again this morning okay. I think it is a power delivery problem more than motors. What is in the system there? Where is the regulator or relay located? Anyone have pics of any of this or the guts of the door?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You are fortunate that your motor is giving you warning that its on its last legs! Sometimes, you'll get intermittant problems when its going out and others it will just up-and-die on you.

If your window gets stuck half-way again, you can try turning off the car, turning it on again, open the door, and then tugging up on the window as you push the switch. A lot of times, the extra help is enough to keep the motor running until the window us up.

I've found that turning off the car seems to help "reset" the bad relay/switch in the motor. There are aftermarket relay kits discussed on this site that isolate the window motor from bad power/leakage in the system. (I think this leakage is why turning off the car may help to reset things in my case.) When I replace my next motor... for the 7th time... I will defintely be installing one of these kits also.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Pictures:

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 04-17-2008, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Is this everything I need including the regulator? I want to order tonight!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Is this everything I need including the regulator? I want to order tonight!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...spagenameZWDVW
>>

That looks like only the motor, the motor itself should not contain any relay...

I don't think that includes the regulator.

Unless your regulator is damaged, these and a new motor should be all you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...spagenameZWD1V

You will have to drill out the regulator door rivits to get to the rollers that are in the track though, and pull the entire unit out...

It was fun when I did mine.

Last edited by B T; 04-17-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by haacer
>>

Nice pics!

The most reported symptom of the window motor dying is that the motor will stop when attempting to raise the window. After a minute or less and you try it again, it will go up some more and stop. The cycle repeats until you can get the window fully up. Usually the longer you wait between tries, the farther it will go up at a time. The motor has an internal electronic circuit breaker (thermal resistor) that will heat up and trip when the motor is overloaded (either by just being worn out or from trying to overcome mechanical drag). This causes it to have to "rest" before it will go up some more.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 PM
B T
Launching!

Here is one with the motor, regulator and rollers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-98...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-18-2008, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by B T
The most reported symptom of the window motor dying is that the motor will stop when attempting to raise the window. After a minute or less and you try it again, it will go up some more and stop. The cycle repeats until you can get the window fully up. Usually the longer you wait between tries, the farther it will go up at a time. The motor has an internal electronic circuit breaker (thermal resistor) that will heat up and trip when the motor is overloaded (either by just being worn out or from trying to overcome mechanical drag). This causes it to have to "rest" before it will go up some more.

Thats excactly what happens with mine 130kmiles...
Have to get new motors and also the rebuild kit for the passengerside..
First electrical prob i have seen..
I will proboly just remove the door panel and try to lubricate everything and have a friend of mine to have a overhaul on the motor. And then i hope it works!

Last edited by The Crazy Sweed; 04-18-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by B T
>>

Nice pics!

This is exactly what my car is doing. What has me confused is.....the passenger window started doing this last week...yesterday the drivers side started. I know it's not the BCM (been there, done that) as the radio still works. Also, when one window stops working, the other still works....until it stops too. I just thought it was odd both would have this problem at the same time. Am I over looking something, or did both my motors croak within a week of each other?!

-Rich