Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

About to Purchase 01 Z28. Some ?'s

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to Purchase 01 Z28. Some ?'s

Hey guys this Saturday after work,(assuming im working), i may be headed up to a town 41 miles away from me to pick up an 01 Z28. Its t-top, leather, monsoon(steering mounted controls as well), power drivers seat, A4, only 36,000 miles and they only want 14k for it. Anyway the car has a couple mods, as far as i can see(stopped in on a sunday, they were closed). it has an aftermarket A4 ****(looks damn good compared to what ive seen), has c5 vette rims, lowered a little, and the exhaust is maybe stock just dumped at the rear axle and dualed. Thats all from what i could tell. The car is also a tealish almost chameleon color. When i called the guy he said that color was stock and its not chameleon(the lighting on sunday may have affected my view). To my knowledge i wasnt sure if they even made teal in 01? Can anyone clear this up? Also is this a good deal for the miles/mods? Ill be test driving it on saturday and ill be checked the fluids(color etc), under the oil cap for build up, tires, listening for noises/ticks, and everything on the inside. Ill also ask if they will throw it on a lift for me to look under if they will let me. Anything else i should look for? Also what are the better reasons for getting a later model LS1. Ive read the 01/02s have a bigger stock cam, stock LS6 Intake mani, and no egr. Well all input is appreciated. Thanks Guys. - Zack
Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also the VIN # is 2G1FP22G012109465 if anyone can run a carfax for me?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
Hey guys this Saturday after work,(assuming im working), i may be headed up to a town 41 miles away from me to pick up an 01 Z28. Its t-top, leather, monsoon(steering mounted controls as well), power drivers seat, A4, only 36,000 miles and they only want 14k for it. Anyway the car has a couple mods, as far as i can see(stopped in on a sunday, they were closed). it has an aftermarket A4 ****(looks damn good compared to what ive seen), has c5 vette rims, lowered a little, and the exhaust is maybe stock just dumped at the rear axle and dualed. Thats all from what i could tell. The car is also a tealish almost chameleon color. When i called the guy he said that color was stock and its not chameleon(the lighting on sunday may have affected my view). To my knowledge i wasnt sure if they even made teal in 01? Can anyone clear this up? Also is this a good deal for the miles/mods? Ill be test driving it on saturday and ill be checked the fluids(color etc), under the oil cap for build up, tires, listening for noises/ticks, and everything on the inside. Ill also ask if they will throw it on a lift for me to look under if they will let me. Anything else i should look for? Also what are the better reasons for getting a later model LS1. Ive read the 01/02s have a bigger stock cam, stock LS6 Intake mani, and no egr. Well all input is appreciated. Thanks Guys. - Zack

I already sent you a pm, but I'll respond again lol. After looking it up, the color is Mystic Teal Metallic. They made something like 930 of them in 01 so its pretty rare. The dealer should run a carfax report for you if you ask. Just be sure to go over the car and look for any other aftermarket parts. Don't take the dealers word for it, they're not gonna be sure of every mod that's on the car or its history.

98-00 got the more aggressive cam with the standard LS1 intake.
01-02 had a less aggressive cam but got the LS6 intake.
All stock LS1s will make around the same rwhp regardless of year and will run right with eachother. Once you mod it's anyones game. But I'd be more concerned with finding a well maintained LS1 first.

As for what to look for: Check the rubber seals around the t-tops, last thing you want is for them to leak. When you look underneath the car check for any damage from jacking the car up in the wrong spots. Since it's got aftermarket exhaust, check if it's custom made etc and look for any leaks. Look for scuff marks on the exhaust to see if it scrapes since it's lowered. Check the tread life left on the tires. Listen for any whining noise coming from the rear end. See if the car pulls to one side while driving and braking. Check every body panel and check for signs if it's been repainted anywhere (different shades between the panels, overspray). Listen for any backfiring while driving. See if the car hesitates to start. Throwing any codes? Check the oil pressure. Trans shifts smoothly? Check the brake pads and if it has warped rotors. Check the power windows if they go up and down slow, the motors are notorious for going out. Check the shocks for leaks and if the shocks are stock, b/c if it's lowered on aftermarket springs and still on the stock shocks they won't last long and might need to be replaced soon. There's more but it's late and I can't remember every thing right now lol. You should know to look for the obvious things like paint condition, scratches, dents, interior condition, radio, lights, A/C etc.

Like I said, just go over the car slowly and carefully. When buying a modded car from a dealer, 9.9 times out of 10 they know as much about it as you do.

You know where to reach me if you have any more questions lol
Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take some pictures. Good luck.

Bill
Old 04-18-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I certainly will. I called the guy again today and half of the paperwork is filled out, IF i decide to buy it, it wont take long to drive her home. Pics will be posted on Sunday (will be light outside) for all of you to check out!! I get off at 4 tomarow and am still contemplating whether or not to drive up there greasy or go home and shower! Haha, im damn excited(if its everything i hope it is). Ill keep you updated! Thanks guys- Zack
Old 04-18-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
I certainly will. I called the guy again today and half of the paperwork is filled out, IF i decide to buy it, it wont take long to drive her home. Pics will be posted on Sunday (will be light outside) for all of you to check out!! I get off at 4 tomarow and am still contemplating whether or not to drive up there greasy or go home and shower! Haha, im damn excited(if its everything i hope it is). Ill keep you updated! Thanks guys- Zack
Clean up first. You do not want to get your seats dirty.
Good Luck.
Bill
Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
Clean up first. You do not want to get your seats dirty.
Good Luck.
Bill
Dont worry, i may end up grabbing a plastic seat cover and floor mat we use after services etc and then changing on the way up while my gf drives. I may end up makin her pull over so i can mash on it as hard as her little neon will go. Havent driven a Camaro since november and im having with drawels. And that was only a 14 sec LT1 not an LS1
Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I paid 16K for my car with zero mods, 43K and it was an M6 just 2 years ago. doesn't sound like a bad deal honestly.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the deal never went through. :-(. I dont have ANY credit what so ever AND my gf has good credit(co signer) just "not enough". So it'll be awhile when my mom can co sign after she finances her house! This sucks.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sucks bro, sorry to hear that. with the economy the way it is, it is harder to get loans, but just be patient. i hope you get one soon.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As do i, i have been waitin for what seems like forever! I may just try to find a dealership who doesn't require credit. Which brings me to a question. How do i get some credit? Something solid as well.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to hear that man, but don't worry it'll work out for the best. As for getting credit, you can start small by getting a sears card or something. You can use it for things like videogames, electronics, etc. and just be sure to make the payments on time. It should be easy to get and it's a start to build your credit up.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID
Sorry to hear that man, but don't worry it'll work out for the best. As for getting credit, you can start small by getting a sears card or something. You can use it for things like videogames, electronics, etc. and just be sure to make the payments on time. It should be easy to get and it's a start to build your credit up.
Thanks bro. Would it be the same if i tried to get a loan through a bank? Would they turn me away due to no credit or would my interest rates just be high as a kite?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=43

Huge link but thats the car.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Pm sent.

Still not crazy about that color lol. That shift **** looks like it's from a T/A. And what's up with the switches above the radio where a vent is supposed to be?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID
Pm sent.

Still not crazy about that color lol. That shift **** looks like it's from a T/A. And what's up with the switches above the radio where a vent is supposed to be?
The color is bitchen and you know it! haha and yeah its a t/a shift **** and thats for the line lock.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

For future reference these are the differences between years:

1. Had differnet casting heads which had perimeter bolts and valve covers.
2. Ignition coils were mounted to the valve covers one at a time.
3. The water temp gauge actually works.
4. 98's do have an oil life monitor, they just don't tell you anything when its time for a change. You can find it in Auto-Tap
5. WS6s had single outlet exhaust (all others had duals)
6. Steering wheel controls were completely different part with indentations on the buttons, and were better built
7. Only year that Purple, Gold, and Green were available
8. Some very early Trans Ams came with LT1 style headrests
9. Rear hatch release was poorly designed and often caused problems releasing mechanism
10. Early model 98 Monsoon stereos didnt have capability to control 12-disc CD changer
11. 1998-1999 automatic transmission LS1s could be started in 1st gear even with the shifter in 2nd. Starting 2000, if you put the shifter in 2, it would start off in 2, even from a stop.
12. 1998-1999 LS1 cars had a smaller throttle body cam, which caused the throttle to open to WOT faster than 2000+ cars
13. 1998 cars had 28 lb fuel injectors from the factory
14. 1998-2000 cars had a larger cam than the 01-02 cars
15. 1998-1999 cars had more restrictive exhaust manifolds
16. 1998-2000 cars had an LS1 intake with EGR
17. 1998 and some early 1999 cars had blue outside rear view mirrors (TA/Formula only)
18. 1998 only LS1 blocks had a much smaller cylinder sleeve that only tolerated a .005" hone
19. Last year F-body to use the old 15.5 gallon steel fuel tank.
20. Only year LS1 F-body to contain a gascap with a tether long enough to actually hang from the fuel door while open
21. Only year LS1 F-body to not contain the famous GM black box used in the event of an accident to record up to 5 seconds of pre-crash data
22. 1998 only cars had a different PCV system with the PCV valve located above the passenger side valve cover
23. 1998 most cars did not have an idle adjustment screw on the throttle body. Some 98 cars do have the idle throttle stop set screws.
24. 1998 cars have a completely different PCM from 99+ cars
25. A production shortage of F-body cams caused the use of a C5 cam to be installed in F-body LS1s for a very short time
26. 97-98 LS1's used a paper water pump gasket. The only gasket that isn't reuseable
27. SSs did not ALL go to SLP starting in 98. Y2Y was the RPO code that sent them to SLP for additional options
28. SS option did not "include" the Synthetic oil package, it was a SLP only Option

1. 1999-2000 cars switched to 26 lb fuel injectors
2. Cylinder heads and valve covers redesigned to have center bolts instead of perimeter bolts. Other than that, the heads were the same.
3. Redesigned cylinder sleeves that allowed for a small bore, up from .005" in 1998 models.
4. Midyear model change to a cheaper steering wheel audio control button without finger indentations, and cheaper built
5. 1999 cars continued the LS1 intake with EGR provisions
6. 1999 cars continued more restrictive exhaust manifolds and larger cam
7. Only year that Hugger Orange was available (Camaro only)
8. 30th Anniversary Trans Am available with special blue and white paint package and blue clear coated WS6 wheels
9. Switch to larger 16.8 gallon plastic fuel tank to meet new emissions requirements.
10. Gascap tether was shorter and could no longer be used to hang on the gas door when open.
11. Company wide change added black boxes to record up to 5 seconds of data before a crash
12. Rear hatch release was redesigned with stiffer spring that released the hatch better
13. Water temp gauge was redesigned to work basically as a dummy gauge and only show an overheat condition.
14. An oil life monitor was added to all LS1s, thus changing the gauge cluster a little to show the oil life reset swtich
15. 1999-02 cars had a different PCV system with the valve located to the side of the intake manifold
16. Early production 1999 Trans Ams still had the blue outside mirrors, but a midyear change went to the non-tinted ones
17. 1999 there was the color "Medium Blue Metallic" which was available on both the Camaros and Firebirds. Only one year of that color

1. Redesigned exhaust manifolds for new emissions standard actually flowed better and created a little more HP.
2. 2000 continued use of LS1 Intake, EGR, smaller cam, and 26 lb fuel injectors
3. Added rear child seat safety hooks to interior per federal requirements
4. Very early run of WS6s had "salad shooter" style rims. A production change switched back to standard 5-spoke WS6 rims.
5. Camaros got redesigned 10-spoke base rims, and SSs came with new 10-spoke rim design
6. First year of Monterey Maple Metallic paint
7. Charcoal (grayish) interior was replaced with Ebony (almost black) leather interior
8. Cloth interior cars got new rainbow colored cloth patterns
9. Camaros only got the Pontiac steering wheel with optional audio controls
10. Throttle body cam was increased in size to slow the speed at which the car reaches WOT
11. Automatic transmission cars were reprogrammed to allow a car to start off in 2nd gear from a stop when the shift lever is put into 2.
12. The last year a WS6 Formula was offered
13. Starting 2000 intake lids contained a seperate breather filter
14. 2000+ Camaros came with body colored mirrors instead of black ones like 98-99

1. A small percentage of 2001 and 2002 LS1s actually had LS6 blocks which had a different part number and a darker metal cast
2. Starting 2001, all LS1s came with an LS6 intake manifold without an EGR system
3. Advertised HP output was changed from 305 to 310 on base LS1s and from 320 to 325 on WS6s and SSs
4. 2001-02 cars have a smaller cam from the Vortec truck engines to increase low end torque
5. 2001-02 cars had 28 lb fuel injectors like the 98 cars (albeit different part numbers)
6. WS6 cars had a redesigned 5 spoke rim which was more wavy
7. WS6 cars got less suspension upgrades from a base Trans Am suspension than previous years
8. Manual transmission cars all came with the Z06 clutch

2002 - Last year of the F-body

1. 35th Annivesary edition of the Camaro, and Collectors Edition Trans Am available
2. 2002 LS1 head gaskets redesigned. The new ones are a pressed metal, as opposed to the graphite ones and are no longer specific to the side of the car theyre installed on
3. 2002 cars continued with the LS6 intake, 28 lb fuel inectors and smaller truck cam
4. 2002 continued the use of an LS6 block in some LS1 F-bodies
5. A factory supported optional 345 HP option could be ordered from SLP
6. Manual transmission cars continued use of the Z06 clutch
7. Some 2002 model F-bodies came with a revised rear view mirror that had the map light buttons on the bottom, rather than the front.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

if the car has a line lock its prob been ragged on a bit
Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshag
if the car has a line lock its prob been ragged on a bit
Nothin LS1 cant handle. Especially low mile LS1. Thats what these were built for.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

A Z28 with 36K mi for $14K is high. Z28 don't command as much money as the SS, I don't know why it's basically the same car but that's how it is. Just be patient you can get a better deal. I picked up a red 01 Z28 A4 last feb with 29K mi, tan leather, and a 12 disc changer for $9600. In excellent condition with No mods...which is how i prefer them. All I had to do was put 2 tires on it and service the trans, coolant, and a fuel filter.

Look online and in the paper allot of good deals from private sellers. If you go to a dealer they will charge you more than what it's really worth....Be patient...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to Purchase 01 Z28. Some ?'s