Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni adjuster won't move

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Koni adjuster won't move

I can't get the adjuster to move with the allen wrench in it. Before the shocks were on the car, they felt like they were binding a little and only moved with difficulty, but I was able to adjust them. After the shocks were installed, I was able to move them about a half a sweep, then no more.

I've tried it with the shock loaded and unloaded, and pushed hard on the allen wrench with a screwdriver, but no go. The shocks are currently at four sweeps from full soft, and I'm trying to go softer - going to the track soon.

I can't get it to move any further on either side in spite of repeated attempts. What gives?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Try a smaller allen key, sometimes the adjust holes don't line up just right with the opening on the top cap and a small key can give you more wiggle room. The allen keys can just bind on the cap. If that doesn't work there are other things to look at, but I can't give away the farm, and it's one of little bits of information that my customers are privy to and add up.

I can't really recall if RevGTO is or isn't a customer, mostly because I don't know his real name (I hate screen names...). I think he is, and if so call me up and I'll try to help you out. If not, as terrible as it might sound I can't support the product that someone else made a living on selling, but I get to "fix".

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Thanks. Tried a 2mm which fits in there with some play, and again, pushed hard enough on it with the screwdriver that it started to bend, but that adjuster wouldn't budge.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

In all honesty, then it sounds broken to me and a call to Koni to discuss warrant is in order. 859-586-4100....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the pair I had bought off ebay that were froze up. Should have known when I bought them because they had prokit springs installed on them mounted on the lower perch. You shouldn't have a problem getting them fixed if you've got all the paper work.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Y'know, when I was adjusting them before I put them on the car and encountered resistance turning it, I thought, are these shocks binding? And then when there seemed to be overmuch impact harshness driving on them, I wondered the same thing. Now I'm really beginning to wonder ...

The situation is the same on both sides. It didn't seem likely that they'd both be bad, so I figured they needed to just break in bit.

Would this mean the adjusters are broken or that the shocks themselves are bad?

Last edited by RevGTO; 04-18-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's rare, but not impossible to have a shock break, even a Koni, and that can wreck ride quality too.

We have had a few instances where certain cars just keep breaking them when lowered. But again, there is an easy fix for that issue in those rare occassions. It's quite rare, but can happen. But all of '07 Koni warrantied only about 9 shocks for these cars in total, so it's clearly not a problem with the shocks (just the number of folks here with them will tell you that), but a sum result of the ride height, springs, type of use.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Pontiacerator

I talked to Koni NA today and the guy I spoke to was very helpful and accommodating. They are backordered but are willing to send out replacements as soon as they get them. But driving around on these shocks tells me they're not broken. Heck, they've only been on the car 3 months and less than 1500 miles. Just dunno why the adjuster won't turn.