Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Main Reason For Boost Controller

Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Main Reason For Boost Controller

I know what its for but what I mean is if your car is just a street car do you really need one.I plan on 15lbs of boost all the time tuned sd,so do I need to run a bc or not.What would you guys do and what controller are you guys running.

Thanks
Brad
Old 04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
FormerVendor

You need a boost controller if you wish to ever change the boost higher then the wastegate spring. I would go with a manual boost controller to save on cost if you don't mind having to turn the **** when you want it higher.

You can always add the boost controller at a later time.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69vette
You need a boost controller if you wish to ever change the boost higher then the wastegate spring. I would go with a manual boost controller to save on cost if you don't mind having to turn the **** when you want it higher.

You can always add the boost controller at a later time.
Exactly what he said, I have a 9psi spring and plan on running that to start but also have a manual b/c that I'll hook up for now. In the future I plan on buying the Hallman pro mbc that has the in cab kit to change it on the fly inside the vehicle. I think it go's for about 150 on ebay and is one of the best you can get for a manual.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Websy21
Exactly what he said, I have a 9psi spring and plan on running that to start but also have a manual b/c that I'll hook up for now. In the future I plan on buying the Hallman pro mbc that has the in cab kit to change it on the fly inside the vehicle. I think it go's for about 150 on ebay and is one of the best you can get for a manual.
I have a 15lb spring in my wastegate,do you think I should go with a smaller spring and run a boost controller to turn the boost up when I need to.I seen that Hallman Pro on the internet for like $100 when I did a search for boost controllers.I just wasn't sure how good a manual controller would be.

Thanks
Brad
Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vandal0-0
I have a 15lb spring in my wastegate,do you think I should go with a smaller spring and run a boost controller to turn the boost up when I need to.I seen that Hallman Pro on the internet for like $100 when I did a search for boost controllers.I just wasn't sure how good a manual controller would be.

Thanks
Brad
Its one of the best, if not the best manual. That is the one without the incab kit and only the b/c for 100 bucks which is still good and if you are fine with stopping and popping the hood to change the setting. I'd get the prokit with the incab together, think its called the RX Evo or something. ITs on ebay anyways, but get the prokit with the ceramic ball.

Being that you have a 15psi spring you could jsut run off of the wastegate spring and have 15 psi all the time not needing a controller. If you want to set it lower, yes you'd need a lower spring and a controller. This is what I'll be doing with my 9psi spring which will be the low setting and 15 my high or anywhere in b/w with the manual.

edit - jsut looked its called the Hallman Evolution RX Kit manual boost controller. Not sure if they offer the normal ball or jsut the ceramic one but if you get it get the one with the ceramic, which is thus the Pro. This one is for 146 bucks which I'll get down the road. Spending enough money on everything else right now!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Sounds good websy21 Ill check that out.I may leave the 15lb spring In there and use the mbc to turn It up more for tuneing purposes on the dyno.

Thanks
Brad
Old 04-19-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vandal0-0
Sounds good websy21 Ill check that out.I may leave the 15lb spring In there and use the mbc to turn It up more for tuneing purposes on the dyno.

Thanks
Brad
You could also do that, I assume you have a 3bar map than.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Websy21
You could also do that, I assume you have a 3bar map than.
When I get back from Canada I am takeing the car to Speed Inc. for a 3bar tune.Hopefully It makes some good power.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wth a good electronic boost controller you can reduce or elimenate boost spikes and boost creep or drop at top end, maintaining a smoother boost curve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Main Reason For Boost Controller