Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni's installed today

Old 04-19-2008, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni's installed today

Thanks Sam for the excellent service. Packages arrived yesterday, I went with the 4/3 setup. I stayed late after work last night and installed the rears, and did the heater hose mod. Very easy since the back seat was out already and I had access to the alignment rack at work. Started to get into the fronts, but it was 8:30 and noone else was left at the shop to help if I got into trouble(thank goodness, cause I got into trouble.

So, today I went in on my day off and the shop was packed, so I did it out behind the building the old fashioned way. I decided to do the driver side first, since it seemed to be the most difficult(moving the master cylinder). Things went rather smoothly, though this was my first time doing struts on this type of set up so I had to take a few steps back at times. I decided to go ahead and order new mounts after pulling the first one out and seeing it's condition. Reinstallation went rather smoothly, though again, I had to reseperate the upper ball joint twice cause I was having a little trouble getting things lined up. I decided to start at 4 sweeps from firm and the adj. window is barely covered by one coil, should be easy to adjust. I moved to the pass. side and things got really interesting. Rinse and repeat on disassembly and when I pulled the assembly out, I knew I was in trouble. The top strut post and nut was just a molten blob of corrosion. I'm serious, there was no visible signs of edges of a nut, even after removing alot of junk. I tried hammering on a socket and it just spun, tried, a smaller socket, just spun taking more metal. Ended up having to take a cutoff wheel and cut off part of the mount to get to the stud and nut and cut it into. It finally split and the strut fell out. I was very thankful at this point that I had decided to get new mounts. Reassembly went smoothly. Going to take it out tomorrow for a good spin on some curvy roads, but I loved the initial test drive. I'll post more tomorrow after getting more seat time. Feel free to ask any questions about the install and I'll do my best to answer.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Launching!

I finished up my Koni 4/4 and Strano Springs today as well....Let me just tell you....AMAZING improvements over the shitty SLP Eibach and Bilstein package that came on my firehawk....

The cars stance is so damn perfect now, that I dont even want to drive it. If I drive it I wont be able to drool over it sitting in parking lots. It's like that ArmorAll commercial with the Vette and I forget which dude was in it, but you get the point.

Glad you got things handled and everything installed, I did have the exact same issue as you did with the passenger side nut. I bent my spring compressor too so that made it even more interesting lol.

Talk to you later
Old 04-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

lucky, thats what i want to do
Old 04-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Banned

01SSRMS what are you talking about mounts? i have strano springs and Koni 4/4 sitting here waiting on install.

Arcolog do you have any info or tips with your 4/4 install?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 AM
12 Second Club

I'm referring to the upper strut mounts. If you think of it like a sandwich with the spring as the meat, you have the lower mount that comes with the Koni's as the lower bun and then there is an upper mount. I had thought about reusing them, but mine were in bad condition with 115k on the clock so I chose to replace. They ran me $40 per side from Napa.

Nice Arcolog, I bet that thing does look good. Up next for me are springs and rear bar, but that may be in the fall. Or H/C, hehe. I would like mine to be a little lower, but it did get rid of the 4x4 look and like everyone says, the highway ride quality is better than factory with the Koni's.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Launching!

I had the same problem with the passenger side top nut. WHEW! I just thought I was an idiot for a moment until I read this. Just thought I had done something wrong....

Thanks for the posts guys!

jess

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Koni's installed today