Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Planning my first turbo build. Lots of questions...

Old 04-20-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Planning my first turbo build. Lots of questions...

Here we go! I'm excited about this but already dreading the sophisticated routing I will encounter. This will be a GT 76mm single front mount turbo setup retaining the A/C. I will be trying this new c6 manifold style setup. Eventually when all is said and done I want to be 525-650rwhp on a blower cam 347 motor, running no more than 13 PSI, pump gas, being slightly conservative. Now for the questions.

Parts needed:
bov, wastegate, A2A intercooler, piping clamps & flanges, heat insulation, injectors, fuel pump(s), oil feed/return kit, gauge pod & gauges, wideband o2 sensor, fan setup. That's really all I can think at the moment I need.

Questions:
1) Piping... Trying to stay as affordable as possible on the piping material. I understand the smaller the pipe the cheaper. What size should I run for my downpipe hot & cold sides? I see a lot of people running multiple sizes and using reducers, but why?? Can I just use 3" all the way around? Stainless steel 304? or Aluminized steel? Aluminum? I have yet to figure out where this turbo will be mounted with the c6 manifolds and going around the a/c. (thread about the c6 mani's - https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/901350-how-can-i-keep-my-c-stock-manifolds.html). I previously thought relocating the battery and putting the turbo there. But I've also seen many of the truck manifold setups with the turbo between the intercooler/radiator & motor. To start buying, I have no idea how to calculate how much pipe I'm going to need and how many bends and at what degree of bends.

Rice Etr's c6 manifold setup:

2) Misc... What # injectors do I need? 42? 60? What fuel pumps are recommended for a lower budget? Any recommendations on bov & wg sizes? How do I go about this intercooler install? How much room am I going to have?

I think that's all the questions I have for now. I'm sure I'll have more later on...

Last edited by candlelit; 04-20-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy questions not to be an *** but I think you need to research a bit more having that many questions. What do you already know, LOL, just joking.

Fuel, minumum 60#'s and dual intank walbro's will suffice nicely. Might get away with a single walbro for 550rwhp, than I'd go with the raetronix kit to retain the stock fuel bucket system so you don't run it dry, etc and have to worry about having no less than a quarter tank.

No idea on fabricating the downpipe in terms of the material, but with stock cubes and a t76 a 3'' should suffice but the bigger the better. With your power goals, 3'' should do it. You could run 3'' all the way back, catback, duals, etc whatever dills your pickle and have an electric cutout as close as possible to the turbo. This has shown to help immensely with the more so restricted setups. This is how mine will be.

You do have a very wide range for your power goals, is it more so 525rwhp or 650rwhp b/c that makes a huge differnce in terms of like everything, LOL I hope you motor is forged b/c at the minimum of your goals is about the border line for the stock internals too.

Honelsty though, if I had a penny for every second I've researched for my build I'd be living with my feet up on the beach. You should try doing some more researching since you have allot of questions. FI is very expensive no matter which way you look at it. I have had parts show up every day at my house fo the last couple weeks. Not to mention all the one's my engine builder has recieved and the parts I collected last year as well. Just when you think you have everything, think again, you don't. Something leads to something else, if you need this you have to do this, but if you do that you'll also need this. Its a ficious circle and I can't wait for it to pay off!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I understand about research. In fact, I've spent the last three weeks, everyday, doing research and I still had these questions. I'd like to get the info in MY thread about MY setup instead of someone elses so I have something accessable to look back at. Anyways, yeah I have a built 347. We are actually going to be dropping it in this morning so I better be going.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darn! I see you already have a turbo. I am trying to sell my GTS 76. It is new, only taken out of the box to look at. I bought it and then decided to go with a 408 engine. This turbo is too small for my new engine and hp goals, and front mount location. I need a t-6 flanged turbo instead.

Anyone interested?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

well guys... think I'm going to go the 6.0 manifold no-a/c route and someday figure out how to relocate the A/C or extend the lines somehow... any thoughts on this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Planning my first turbo build. Lots of questions...