Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Transmission builders come in*

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default *Transmission builders come in*

I built my TH350 with a Trans Brake with reverse manual valve body. The valve body is a TCI. I have built lots of TH350's and 4l60e's with great results. Heres the problem , I took the car down the road and everything seemed fine. All the gears shifted fine and all that. But I noticed that the car felt sluggush in first gear. So I got on it in first pretty hard and it is obvious that first gear is in a bind. There is no power to the Trans Brake.When I take off in first it act's like it is chained to a tree. The tranny dont slip just act's like it is in a bind in first and soon as I shift to second it is like the motor frees up. It also pushes some fluid out of the vent tube in first. BTW it has a vigilante converter. Any suggetions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

A caracked or damaged accumulator or seal in the 1-2 on the side of case could possibly cause that. Just and Idea, I am not that familiar with the TCI transbrake set up however.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
A caracked or damaged accumulator or seal in the 1-2 on the side of case could possibly cause that. Just and Idea, I am not that familiar with the TCI transbrake set up however.
Does anyone think that the spring still being behind the accumulator could cause this problem.I heard that it should be removed but It didnt mention anything about it in the instructions.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

The piston should be installed first, then the spring, then the cover.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Well the accumulator and seals look fine. I wonder if the spring being there could cause this problem I am going to leave it out and see. Any other ideas?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

I hate to say this, but you're going to have to take the trans apart and see which clutches are burned. Two of the gears are being applied at the same time. This is how you will diagnos your problem. Find the damage and go to your flow chart. My guess will be the lo clutch and intermediate clutch. It may be a valve in backwards or a spring put in in front of or behind a valve. I don't remember TCI's directions for that trans. I had a friend do his own and it ended up they put the wrong gaskets in the box. Hope this helps. Also, are you saying you put the accumulator spring behind the accum piston? You can leave the spring in, it will just soften the 1-2 shift firmness. If it's behind the piston, you may dump oil where it is not needed. The piston MUST go in before the spring.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Just for an update TCI said to pull the spring out, I did and every thing works fine.