Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 GTO LS1 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GTO LS1 fuel pump

I am working on a conversion in which an old 1940's all aluminum bodied car has been mounted onto a 70's Corvette chassis and I am now installing a nice low mileage 04 GTO LS1 into the car. The wiring I have figured out and have arranged to have the PCM dealt with to eliminate unwanted codes.
My only problem is the car has a fuel cell in which a pump can not be mounted inside so I am looking at an inline pump.
Can some one reccomend an in line pump that can run this engine with its single fuel line and no return line to the fuel tank. Thanks Dan
Old 04-21-2008, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It can't be done. You need a return to the tank.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:57 PM

That is what I thought as well but the fuel rail on this engine does not have a return line it has the feed line and a regulator but no return line.
Am I missing some thing here or am I going to have to figure out a way to mount the original factory pump in the fuel tank.
It does not make a lot of sense with a regulator on the fuel rail there should be a return line to the tank. Any other returnless fuel system I have dealt with had the regualtor built into the tank with the pump. Dan
Old 04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not 100% sure on the GTO`s, but with all of the other returnless fuel rails that GM made there is only 1 line like you said, and the regulator is on the fuel pump sending assembly in the tank.

Heres what you can do. You can run an external pump and then use either an aftermarket fuel injection FPR or you can use the 1999-200 4? corvette fuel filter/regulator assembly which will allow you to use your single line fuel rail. You could also go with a 97-98 vette fuel rail with a FPR and return line built in but thats not really worth the cost.

The thing on your current fuel rail is not a regulator, it is actually a damper to smooth out the fuel pulses.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks now that makes more sense if it is not the regulator on the rail.
Might be better in the end to just modify the tank to allow a fuel pump to be mounted inside it and just run the stock pump.
Is there after market fuel pumps with built in regulators that will work in this application or am I better off using the stock fuel pump assembly to run this engine.
Trying to keep things as simple as possible to make any maintenance down the road less of a hassle to do. Dan
Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t think there are any aftermarket fuel pumps with built in regulators.

Depending on how well the GTO fuel sending unit/pump/regulator assembly would fit into the tank that may be the best solution. An aftermarket pump is ok too, but a lot of people complain that the in line pumps are too noisy.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 AM
11 Second Club

The part on the fuel rail that looks like a regulator is to quiet the pulses in the fuel rail. The Corvette filter/regulator works great, you can mount it near the tank and still have just one line going to the front. You will need to open up the tank no matter what to put a baffle inside. If you don't put something in the tank to control fuel slosh you will run out of fuel when cornering/hard braking/hard accelleration because the fuel will move away from the fuel pump pickup and the engine will immediately stall.

I run an inline pump and it works for my application. I bought a new tank and made a baffle for the inside. There are companies that will make a tank like you want. Rock Valley is one, I am sure that there are others. http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/ndex.htm
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM

The fuel cell is made out of aluminum and has a baffle made into it but only has two 2 inch diameter holes one for filling the tank and the other has a fuel level sensor in through it. Other then that there is two small 3/8 holes with fittings for fuel lin feed and return near the bottom of the tank.
Could you give more info please on the Corvette filter/regulator as that sounds like an easier route then cutting up the fuel cell. Dan
Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Here is a picture of it. Any auto parts store should have one. The AC Delco number is GF822
Attached Thumbnails 04 GTO LS1 fuel pump-filter.jpg  
Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM

That is great thanks, now do you have a reccomendation for a good inline fuel pump to use with this part. Thanks Dan
Old 04-22-2008, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Walbro GSL392. About $140.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:40 PM

You assistance is much appreciated, will see about ordering the fuel pump and the regulator/filter right away so I can move forward on this engine swap. Dan

Quick Reply: 04 GTO LS1 fuel pump