User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

DNS Server Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DNS Server Failure

For the past month I’ve not been able to log onto LS1tech or any their sister sites. My ISP is Wildblue and they’ve assured me that it was not on their end. The only way I can access tech is by http://67.201.16.56/forums/ but it won’t let me log on so I cant post or reply to anything.

I’ve spoken to Brian (LS1 tech support) on the issue but haven’t been able to correct the problem.

I’m at a hotel in Dallas right now with my notebook and can access it fine but not at home.

I’ve flushed the DNS, and searched the web and tried all types of things.

Does anyone out there have wildblue that could get on or any ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

try assigning a different dns lookup server...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ How?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Default Dns

Go into your TCP/IP properties and specify primary and secondary dns servers. Plenty of public dns servers out there.

I wouldn't use the dns servers specified in the link below, but it gives you an idea of how to change the settings.

http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/network/dns.html
Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright. I'll be home tomorrow afternoon and will give it a try.

Anyone else with ideas...keep them coming.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like sound advice so far.

Do you have any network devices between you and your ISP? Meaning, do you have a router or something between you and the cable modem/dsl modem that your ISP gives you?

If so, remove that from your path and see if that works. If it does, then you have an issue with your router. If it doesn't, call up Wildblue and ask them to provide you with proof that it isn't on their side(ie, some kind of proof they have a record for LS1Tech.com in there).
Old 04-22-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ The only thing between me and the router would be a wireless router. When I get home I'll plug into the wildblue modem itself and see if it works.

I talk with every member of Wildblue's tech support dept. and for about 3 weeks and they had to call in some special outside company to work on the problem. (Atleast, this is what they told me)

They assured me that it wasn't there end and it had to be the host.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copy and paste the results of a trace route to LS1Tech.com. Google if you don't get me.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

If they had to call in an outside company, WTF are they doing in the ISP business?

You can always "cheat" ... Add LS1Tech to your hosts file:

Windows:
Start -> Run -> notepad system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Mac OSX:
Open a Terminal
sudo nano /etc/hosts

Linux:
Same as Mac

Now that you have the hosts file open, add a line for each site you want to visit:

67.201.16.56 www.ls1tech.com
67.201.16.28 www.corvetteforum.com

etc. etc. etc.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm home and It works

Don't know what changed but it's working fine now. All sister sites work too.

Go figure.

Thanks to all for ideas.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just noticed this thread and went through a horror show trying to get the matter resolved. I have Dish Network which markets the Wild Blue product.Below is the permanent fix.

I am emailing in regards to your inquiries about accessing certain websites (LS1tech, corvetteforums, etc) via your WildBlue Internet services. I apologize for any frustration you may have experienced in trying to get this issue resolved. We have had an open ticket with WildBlue for your issue, and performed some research of our own. We have found a method that fixed the problem for our test WildBlue computer where we were able to duplicate the same issue (Please note we do have other computers via WildBlue in separate gateways that can access the sites just fine).

Here is the fix, assuming from the notes in your account, you are using a Windows PC, please access the Internet Protocol TCP/IP.

To do this in Windows XP, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections (skip this if using classic view), Network Connections, right click on the Local Area Connections icon (may be titled something else if your system is configured differently) and choose properties, highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP, then click the properties button.

To do this in Windows Vista, click the Start icon, Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Mange Network Connections, right click on the Local Area Connections icon (may be titled something else if your system is configured differently) and choose properties, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4, then click the properties button.

In the above screen, please change the radio button beside Obtain DNS server address automatically, to Use the following DNS server address, and enter:

For the Preferred and Alternate DNS server lines. This is from http://www.opendns.com Click ok to save the changes.

You may also need to flush dns and/or reset your router. If you have questions please email back or give us a call at 1-800-333-3474

This should resolve the issue you have been experiencing, and again I apologize for any frustration you may have experienced in trying to get this issue resolved.

Quick Reply: DNS Server Failure