Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue smoke after idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blue smoke after idle

OK, I did a search and never found a definitive answer to my problem.

I have Patriot Stg 2 5.3s, 232/238 cam, ported 90/90, catch can, and a new PCV valve. When my car has been idling for a minute or so, like in a fast food drive thru waiting for my lunch, blue smoke starts coming out the exhaust. It doesn't seem to do it any other time, but I don't usually climb out of my car when it is going down the road. However, in the garage, if I rev it a little after it warms up, a little blue smoke comes out. The car needs a tune, and runs rich at WOT as shown by my wideband.

I added the 90/90 about 4 months ago. When I took the LS6 intake off, there were small puddles of oil on the tops of the valves (the intake ones anyway - couldn't see the exhaust). I assumed it was seals, so I went ahead and replaced the valve seals with new ones from Patriot. I already had the catch can on for several months before this. While I did this, I used sealer on the exhaust rocker bolts, too (they had not been sealed before).

The car has 65K miles on it. I REALLY hope it isn't a ring or two gone. I do have a leakdown tester, but have not had the time lately to work on it. Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when mine did that same thing it was the valve seals. Maybe you have one or so that are damaged.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

I hope that is all it is. If so, the leakdown test should show strong correlation across all 8 cylinders, right? If the seals are bad, I will be pulling the heads and sending them to Gunnar to re-do - evidently I can't do them right!! I will also clearance the heads for the HS roller rockers I have and will stud the heads, too.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

The best way to test if its a ring is to take your dip stick out and put your finger over it.. (while the car is running)

If its blowing then you have a internal motor problem, like a ring etc..

If its sucking its something else!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well changing the seals are pretty easy. Just need a good spring tool like the Crane. Then just pull the springs and install the new seals. You don't have to pull the heads to change the seals. Pulling the heads is not much fun
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

Thats from what I hear anyhow...
Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I have a dual-spring tool that is home-made, so I do not have to take the heads off. But I have changed seals 2x now in these heads with potential oil issues afterwards both times, so I evidently am not doing a good job. I am suspecting that the seats might be worn.

BigBlock - I already did that and felt a "little" suction - no pressure. It was enough suction to hold a piece of paper on the dipstick tube.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

i am having the same problem, i would like to see how this pans out.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Restricted User

Mine did the same thing... Valve seals
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having the same issue as the OP as well, but I just had new patriot valve seals put on. I wonder is they were installed correctly or I had some bad seals!
subscribing!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HAHA I 1
OK, I did a search and never found a definitive answer to my problem.

I have Patriot Stg 2 5.3s, 232/238 cam, ported 90/90, catch can, and a new PCV valve. When my car has been idling for a minute or so, like in a fast food drive thru waiting for my lunch, blue smoke starts coming out the exhaust. It doesn't seem to do it any other time, but I don't usually climb out of my car when it is going down the road. However, in the garage, if I rev it a little after it warms up, a little blue smoke comes out. The car needs a tune, and runs rich at WOT as shown by my wideband.

I added the 90/90 about 4 months ago. When I took the LS6 intake off, there were small puddles of oil on the tops of the valves (the intake ones anyway - couldn't see the exhaust). I assumed it was seals, so I went ahead and replaced the valve seals with new ones from Patriot. I already had the catch can on for several months before this. While I did this, I used sealer on the exhaust rocker bolts, too (they had not been sealed before).

The car has 65K miles on it. I REALLY hope it isn't a ring or two gone. I do have a leakdown tester, but have not had the time lately to work on it. Any suggestions?
I also have a ported 90/90, catch can, and a new PCV valve!
When I took the LS6 intake off I also had oil in the intake by the ports! But I didnt have smoking issues!
Then my installer, installed a patriot spring kit with new valve seals and the oiling issue BEGAN! I will be ordering new valve seals and see what happens!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm. Keep the replies coming!!

I am going to do the leakdown test either tonight or tomorrow evening. Hopefully (crosses fingers) that will tell me that I do not have a ring problem. But you know, if it is a ring problem, I get to go ahead and build that 418 I have been wanting.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Any word yet?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the condition of your PCV system? since you said you has some vaccum at the oil dip stick tube. You could be pulling oil into the intake. How much oil are you burning between oil changes?

Using a newer design PCV. LS6 PCV or a catch can to help control the oil being sucked into the intake.

I am just using the Cheap "Homedepot Catch Can", aka; a Compressor Oil Seperator, $14.95 ? It does work for me and is cheap.. there are many thread on it.. just search on it.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I finally got around to doing the leakdown test:

all of them were between 20-40% with the car cold. I know I am supposed to do it with the car warm, but I did not feel like torching my hands and arms to do it. Most of the cylinders were 20-25%, one was 35% and one was 40%.

And I have a catch-can already.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Default blue smoke

I have a similar problem, 01 SS M6. When car first starts all runs well. After warmed up, I can be sitting at a light and it will start to smoke.
I can take off from light and almost stall it and get big blue smoke screen. When pulling in my garage, I give it a big shot and out comes the blue.
Car works good, 65 K, was there a piston ring issue or recall,
Any suggestions, I did replace seals on cyl 1-3-5-7 because compression was higher in cyl 5 than others, 180 vs 170-175

Quick Reply: Blue smoke after idle