Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Launching on a new LS7/LS2 combo

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching on a new LS7/LS2 combo

Just did the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel.

When I had the stock clutch I would launch at 2k and get good tractions... now the car won't really jump unless I go about 3k... is that weird???

I'm stock, including rear and gears. Running street tires...

what do you guys suggest???

500 miles have past since install.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS2 fly is a hell of alot heavier than the stock fly, that is part of it but doesn't sound like it's the whole problem. How well was the slave bleed during the swap???
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving to manual transmissions.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS2 flywheel isn't all that heavier, the extra weight is in the pressure plate.

As for launching, you should find that the LS2/Ls7 combo will hold a lot more energy and thus you'll find launching off idle to a be a bit easier. A 3k clutch dump should spin tires, heck I've been able to spin my stock 245 street tires off a 2.5k clutch dump (with stock suspension).

Using tire spin as a gauge to something wrong with your clutch is not a good thing. Depending on the traction of the road and your tires, the rpm at which will break traction WILL vary.

If you can spin 5krpm and not have the car creep, your clutch isn't dragging. That's a good thing. If you find it bogs at 2krpm, it just means there was more traction than power coming from the engine. If you can shift at 6krpm and not feel like it hits a brick wall when you shift to the next gear, then odds are your clutch is fine.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a clutch that has a quicker/shorter engagement than your stock clutch, such as the LS7, it will want to grab and hold very quickly and will tend to bog a bit if the RPMs aren't at an appropriate spot. Chances are you were able to technically launch the stocker from a lower spot, but full engagement wasn't taking place until you had brought the RPM higher anyways because of how quickly you were letting the clutch pedal out. With this clutch, if you try launching it too low but still let the pedal out at the same rate, it will bog on you.

Quick Reply: Launching on a new LS7/LS2 combo