Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking G body swap info

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking G body swap info

Like a fool I drove a frineds 87 Monte SS last week, and now I want one. The plan is to install a 5.3 or 6.0 truck engine with an A4. This will be the cruiser and family hot rod the Camaro SS can't be. I AM doing research on my own but figured I'd post a few questions that have come up early on.

1: What do I do for a fuel tank/pump? These things were never injected that I know of and I don't want to have problems when running low on gas.

2: How do I drive the mechanical speedo??

3: Will truck accessories fit and clear everything?? Also interested if anyone knows if the truck intake will clear the stock hood (it is ugly but it makes awsome tourque).

4: Headers.....nuff said.

5: I assume the newer A/C compressor will work with the older system on these cars if I have custom hoses made. Am I right??

Please post pics of your G body swap if you have any.

Thanx in advance
Re'
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

1. baffled, custom tanks can cost a pretty penny
2. "cable x", box takes the electronic output and spins the cable
3. it should clear, the Alt. might have very little room
4. theres a thread about headers floating around, I'm in the same boat havent found a absolute answer to that.
5. i have no idea

JohnB has the best webpage for the g-body swap, but there are a lot of these running around, quite a few frequent the board too. good luck.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Grab a tank and sending unit out of an EFI monte (the V6 4.3L montes had EFI) IIRC they were made from 1984 to 88. Of course starving for fuel depends on how hard you drive it, I have the baffled EFI factory style tank for my El Camino and today I was hitting air on an expressway off ramp with half a tank of fuel....of course I may have been pushing it kinda hard through the corner.

2. Cable X or swap electric speedo guts behind your monte face

3. Sort of, if you set the engine back enough the accys should clear (they do in an EC). But you will have to grind the pass valve cover and notch the heater box to make it fit.

4. No ideas, but if you find a set that fits nice and is a bolt in let me know.....I feel the need for more power. F-Body 2001 manifolds fit if you relocate the drivers o2 sensor.

5. Works great, nice cold air. But you have to notch the K member to get the compressor to fit. (the newer ones with hoses that exit out the passenger top side fit easier)
Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

2. Cable X or swap electric speedo guts behind your monte face
Know who I would contact to do that?? It sounds like a better idea.

Re'
Old 04-23-2008, 03:12 AM
11 Second Club

If you want to put an LS motor in the Monte or any Gbody for that matter, then you absolutely have to look at John B's site, covers alot of what needs to done in detail. Here's the link http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/ You will absolutely love to drive the Gbody LS swap, I know I do.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I swapped the factory tach and speedo for Autometer units. It took quite a bit of trial and error to get them to fit, but the results are worth it.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

Anyone know the big G-Body websites?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BRPhotrods
Anyone know the big G-Body websites?
www.montecarloss.com
Old 04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. The more the better.

I swapped the factory tach and speedo for Autometer units. It took quite a bit of trial and error to get them to fit, but the results are worth it.
Looks great, but I'd rather keep the interior as unmollested as possible and use the stock gauges, or maybe something that dosn't stand out as being obviously not stock.

Re'
Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Theres pics of my speedo floating around here somewhere. IIRC there are some in the big El Camino swap thread. A search should turn it up, jd_perk started the thread and it ended up around 10 pages of info.

I did the swap myself, it wasn`t too difficult, but I had someone else make the new pseudo factory look decal/face......I have no artistic talent whatsoever.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Heck, those gauges look great and were the same AM I was looking at at Summit.

I like the BRP mounts, but $480 just seems a little high.

Still in the air on manifolds too. I got a set of GTOs cheap but wondering if the F bodys are better. Also looking at some nice coated headers (mids) that are under $400.

Watching this thread too

FB
Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Phil, I don't doubt the quality of you parts and the RD. I was simply looking at what you get for $$.

LS1, this is great! " The lugnuts on my truck need more torque than your ricer makes "

Looks like you have the factory center gauges? Did the Speedo and Tach fit in the trim plat or did you have trim it alot and rewire?

thx
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have also sold our ls1 s-10 mounts to a few G body guys and they seem to like how they work but you will have to install lower 2.8 mounts and fab your own crossmember, These same guys are also using the schoenfeld ls1 dirt track headers for the metric chassis.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Phil, I had found BRP when I started this conversion or sighed up here.

I think we have hijacked the thread a little and mine is here; https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...573&highlight=

I have a couple conversions under my belt and am good at fabbing when it doesn't bolt on.

My conversion will be in May time period and a drop in mounting set would be the way to go.

For info mine is an 87 Elky, BGN rear/3.42 posi, Hotchkiss/BMR A Arms/B spindles, SSBC dics on all 4, IROC 16 wheels.

THX
Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

I’m just glad that there is interest in the G-body, I have 5 G-body myself including Mrs Goodwrechs old aerocoupe and 3 other aerocoupes including a silver 87 I bought new. These are fun cars that you can really enjoy and I’m glad to see there finally starting to get the attention and respect they deserve.

Here is a pic of the black DEI car and my silver car, which are the only cars covered out of the 5 cars in that building which have a 1969 SS/RS 4 speed. 1957 210 heater, radio, clock delete and a 56 Hemi 40K real mile Desoto. So it tells you what I think about a G-Body

Thanks Phil

Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Nice collection. I may have to get another at least with 3 little ones to pass them along too.

FB
Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Pacesetter non egr 98 up f-body longtubes will fit I run them on my malibu....No mods on driver side, have to flatten a little on the passenger side rubs the frame a little, not enough hammering on them to reduce air flow though...Cost less than 300 dollars as well....
Old 05-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Any pics of those pacesetters? I went to look at a set of MAC midlengths yesterday and they looked like they would be halfway through the passenger frame rail, and the drivers side would have been all over/through the steering shaft. Decided that if I would have tried to use them I would have had to basically rebuild them from the flanges out LOL.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

I need to keep the elky legal too here in Ca. Nice thing is the 5.3 is from a truck and into a elky that is reg as a truck here. Less smog issues

Not sure how the 2 inch headers would do on the 5.3, and they look down on long tubes here. Many states have adopted the same rules. A nice set of mids with 1 3/4 might be a nice option?

Fred
Old 05-09-2008, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Fred,

I agree completely that’s why I have 5 versions of each header in every application so that the enthusiast has more options to get the header that’s right for their project. The street header option would be best for your 5.3 which is a 1 ¾ primary long tube header, the 2in primary super comps are an option for guys with the big cubic inch LS engines. I will have ceramic coated options, as well as stepped options on both the 1 ¾ and 2in headers.

Phil

Quick Reply: Seeking G body swap info