View Full Version : Toyota takes world sales in 1st Q

OSUBraden
04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Link: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080423/gm_global_sales.html?.v=8

Saw it on the Drudge report today. Looks like Toyota takes 1st quarter world sales lead from GM. There is a piece about how they predict "GM is probably going to have some recovery in the second half of '08 in the U.S. market," but then they go on to say that they think Toyota will benefit at the same time, and still be ahead.

IMO I think GM will be doing a lot better in 2009 as the Camaro and G8 hit the market hard. They've got a great line up this year and it will only improve by '09.

:usa:

2000Hawk
04-23-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/23/toyota-outsells-gm-globally-in-q1/
Worldwide:
Toyota: 2.41 million
General Motors: 2.25 million

But like the article says Toyota outsold GM in the first quarter last year, and GM still came out winning at the end of the year. I still don't understand why some people are fascinated with the Toyota brands, and act like they are so much better than those of the General.
-Joel

NHRAMAN
04-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Hope GM recovers.....damn Toyota..

dailydriver
04-23-2008, 04:32 PM
IMO I think GM will be doing a lot better in 2009 as the Camaro and G8 hit the market hard. They've got a great line up this year and it will only improve by '09.

:usa:

You're putting A LOT of faith in the import nameplate brainwashed sheeplemmings out there, but I DO hope (and pray) you are RIGHT!!! :thumb: :usa:

TT632
04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
I have one Toyota SUV in the family fleet. It is the least desirable, noisey (wind, engine and road noise) of any vehicle I have, other than the race car. If it didn't get acceptable gas mileage (23/28) it wouldn't get driven at all. Not sure how Toyota gets their sales considering their vehicles are expensive, basic (unless its a Lexus) and have mediocre styling.
I occasionaly buy a used low mileage Import to see what the other side raves about. I haven't been impressed yet.

Z ROADSTER
04-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Right ! When Toyota comes out with their under $30,000.00 muscle car with 425 HP weighing in at only 3595 lbs. I'll probably be about tenth in line . Then let the games begin .

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
I am not trying to discourage anyone from posting news but why does everyone get twisted about who is the true juggernaut of automotive manufacturing on a monthly basis?

I don't want to see GM die but I think that downsizing and concentraiting on quality could be a way for GM to survive.

SScam68
04-23-2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/23/toyota-outsells-gm-globally-in-q1/
Worldwide:
Toyota: 2.41 million
General Motors: 2.25 million

But like the article says Toyota outsold GM in the first quarter last year, and GM still came out winning at the end of the year. I still don't understand why some people are fascinated with the Toyota brands, and act like they are so much better than those of the General.
-Joel

That's because they are :lol:

If you look at it from a manufacturing standpoint Toyota IS the bar. I just saw a Ford commercial where they make it a point to say their quality is as good as Toyota's.

If one of the big three is willing to put a statement like that in a commerical that probably cost them millions to produce it definitely says something.

I've driven SUV's of Fords, Toyota's and GMs. I've been impressed most with Toyota's. Ride quality, ergonomics, noise and in an offroad situation to boot. It was a lot more fun the drive the Yota over the Dakota we had at the time.

Blakbird24
04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah I follow it just because it's interesting...but I won't be heartbroken if GM drops to number two. In fact, I think it will be very good news for GM because they will be out of the quality spotlight and Toyota will be in it.

TriShield
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
This news was inevitable. What's also inevitable is that GM will go bankrupt unless drastic changes are made and GM simply isn't making them.

There is no "new" GM. It's the same company being destroyed by the same hubris and mismanagement as it always has. It's being crushed under the weight of supporting eight nearly worthless brands in a market that doesn't support them and hasn't for 30 years.

The majority of their cars are still poor values, still have corners cut and are still mediocre.

Toyota is a benchmark for a reason and they are the world's wealthiest and fastest growing automaker for a reason.

OSUBraden
04-23-2008, 09:23 PM
lol, we posted these like 2 mins apart

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908266

I was first!

sigh!

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
04-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Free post cause you were first.

OctaneZ28
04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Threads merged, weeeeeeee.

98mysticZ
04-23-2008, 11:54 PM
i work for toyota and u cant beat the fit and finish of a toyota... and where else can u take ur car to a dealer and get steering engine drive train work lets say 3600 bucks worth of repairs done in a day u take a chevy in for a tune up aligh bla bla u have to wait till one tech gets done with it to pass it on the dont do it all they have engine techs drive train tech elec tech ect... at toyota u have to be able to do it all... i am a master ase/toyota tech and wouldnt ever go to gm.. ford or dodge.....

2000Hawk
04-24-2008, 12:05 AM
lol, we posted these like 2 mins apart

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908266

I was first!

sigh!

Damn it you got me!
-Joel

LS1LT1
04-24-2008, 12:28 AM
IMO I think GM will be doing a lot better in 2009 as the Camaro and G8 hit the market hard. They've got a great line up this year and it will only improve by '09.True, and don't forget the new Malibu and CTS too, those cars are doing VERY well. :nod: :usa:

LS1LT1
04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Right ! When Toyota comes out with their under $30,000.00 muscle car with 425 HP weighing in at only 3595 lbs.I'd hold my breath waiting for Toyota (or ANY import nameplate carmaker for that matter) to come out with that car but I don't want to die. :lol: :D

LrngCrv
04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
That's because they are :lol:

If you look at it from a manufacturing standpoint Toyota IS the bar. I just saw a Ford commercial where they make it a point to say their quality is as good as Toyota's.

If one of the big three is willing to put a statement like that in a commerical that probably cost them millions to produce it definitely says something.

I've driven SUV's of Fords, Toyota's and GMs. I've been impressed most with Toyota's. Ride quality, ergonomics, noise and in an offroad situation to boot. It was a lot more fun the drive the Yota over the Dakota we had at the time.

I've driven/owned Fords, Toyotas and GMs as well and I would like to disagree with you. If you think there is some huge quality difference between the brands you are nieve.

Go to a different country and you will see the exact opposite, a lot of people consider their domestic cars inferior to the imports (GM/Ford are imports in other countries). And it's completely baseless. Just a bunch of idiots, if you want to prove otherwise then show some proof, otherwise you just lead me to believe that you are included in that group as well that make up your mind without facts.

I think a lot of people are like that on almost everything in the world though...

LS1LT1
04-24-2008, 12:38 AM
What's also inevitable is that GM will go bankrupt unless drastic changes are made and GM simply isn't making them.
There is no "new" GM. It's the same company being destroyed by the same hubris and mismanagement as it always has. It's being crushed under the weight of supporting eight nearly worthless brands in a market that doesn't support them and hasn't for 30 years.Yeah we've all heard that before, for over 30 years now.
The company is still around and doing fine in what is among THE WORST TIMES EVER to be a car/truck manufacturer.

Toyota is a benchmark for a reason and they are the world's wealthiest and fastest growing automaker for a reason.True, the reason being of course that some clever advertising along with a little side order of brainwashing really does work! :lol: ;)

TT632
04-24-2008, 12:47 AM
i work for toyota and u cant beat the fit and finish of a toyota... and where else can u take ur car to a dealer and get steering engine drive train work lets say 3600 bucks worth of repairs done in a day u take a chevy in for a tune up aligh bla bla u have to wait till one tech gets done with it to pass it on the dont do it all they have engine techs drive train tech elec tech ect... at toyota u have to be able to do it all... i am a master ase/toyota tech and wouldnt ever go to gm.. ford or dodge.....

Must be different Toyotas then what I have owned. Previous 00 Tundra I owned was a mushy POS and was at the dealer 3 times in the first 2 years. My current 02 GMC, not one visit to the dealer in 105,000 miles, same for my 04 Tahoe. Current RAV4 I own is a little POS buzz box, no better then a Hyundai SUV. Rented a Corolla on a business trip...Yeh, thats real quality? Must be the Prius and Camry that are the real high quality vehicles.

On the other hand, you are employed to work on Japanese vehicles that never break so you must be like the Matag repair man since Toyotas never break.

LS1LT1
04-24-2008, 01:06 AM
On the other hand, you are employed to work on Japanese vehicles that never break so you must be like the Matag repair man since Toyotas never break.Good point, with their cars being SO perfectly reliable and dependable it's a wonder they even need any Master ASE/Techs on the payroll.:huh:
Job security for a tech must suck at a company making cars that never break down. ;)

TriShield
04-24-2008, 08:55 AM
True, the reason being of course that some clever advertising along with a little side order of brainwashing really does work! :lol: ;)

GM isn't going to last another 30 years as-is, they've sold off just about everything they can and they lost as much money last year as ExxonMobil made. The company isn't just swirling the toilet, it's going down it at this point.

Toyota didn't brainwash anyone, GM (Ford and Chrysler) all chased their customers away with abysmal cars and they still do today. Toyota makes the best appliances on four wheels and that's something GM isn't going to beat them at anytime soon.

TT632
04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
GM isn't going to last another 30 years as-is, they've sold off just about everything they can and they lost as much money last year as ExxonMobil made. The company isn't just swirling the toilet, it's going down it at this point.

Toyota didn't brainwash anyone, GM (Ford and Chrysler) all chased their customers away with abysmal cars and they still do today. Toyota makes the best appliances on four wheels and that's something GM isn't going to beat them at anytime soon.

I'm still waiting to see these perfect Toyotas. I haven't had a Camry yet, so maybe its the best thing since sliced bread. My 2 most recent GM trucks have required 1 visit to the dealer between the 2 over 170,000 combined miles which is better than the Tundra I had. Ive had a couple of Corollas in the past, adequite at best. I did have a 90's Toy small truck that lasted to 160k, but it was primitive and not deserving of great praise. Hell, My wife had a leased 07 Explorer that I was expecting to be terrible but had Zero problems.

I don't share your enthusiasm for the demise of our American auto manf and although I'm biased towards American products I do buy an occassional "used" Japanese vehicle to see how much better they are:confused:.

LS1LT1
04-24-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't share your enthusiasm for the demise of our American auto manfYeah, I certainly don't share his enthusiasm for that either and frankly I can't figure out how ANY honest and loyal AMERICAN could be as enthusiastic about it as some of the Japanese auto industry nutswingers on here seem to be. :confused:
GM's (or Ford's, or Chrysler's) demise might be on the horizon (but not likely) but there is really no need to celebrate it, even appearing to be smugly overjoyed by it. :eyes:

Gaunt's_Girl
04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
IMO, everyone wants the NAME. Take Lexus for instance, people are brainwashed. Yes, they are decent cars, but WAYYY overpriced for what you're getting. I've never myself driven one, but when people of the bat say "lexus is so much nicer than cadillac," I want to shoot them!! And really, some of the lexus models look THE EXACT SAME as the base Toyota model, just different badges and a $20,000 sticker increase. I just don't understand people sometime..

Really, I think it's all to do with marketing. Toyota has great marketing and GM's marketing BLOWS!!!!!!!!
If people see 5 toyota commercials and 1 gm commercial, what do you think they are going to end up buying?

TT632
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Some people don't realize the amount of Americans employed by our auto manufacturers compared to the Foreign OEMs. GM by itself employs more Americans than all of the Japanese, Germans and Korean auto manufacturers combined.

In my opinion, theres plenty of room for the bottom tier Japanese and Korean companies to go under long before any of the Big three go down. They don't employ us, why the hell should we buy their product!

I'd have to disagree on the Toyota commerials as being great. If I see that dorky "Toyota Joe" guy that they have plastered all over the internet one more time I'm going to puke!

LS1LT1
04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
IMO, everyone wants the NAME. Take Lexus for instance, people are brainwashed. Yes, they are decent cars, but WAYYY overpriced for what you're getting. I've never myself driven one, but when people of the bat say "lexus is so much nicer than cadillac," I want to shoot them!!I hear ya there.
Not sure if anyone realizes what it once meant to actually own a Cadillac. It was the WORLD STANDARD of automobiles back in the day, the trendsetter, the true measure used to show that one had 'arrived', I'm talking almost Rolls Royce status here.
I remember my uncles talking about it when I was very young, how they finally saved up enough money to buy even a used Cadillac and when my mother finally got her first one (a '67 Sedan DeVille bought in '71) the WHOLE neighborhood came over to see it.
I loved my '96 DeVille Concours, huge car with a 300hp Northstar 4.6L V8 and ran a 15.07@92.40mph in stock trim and I know I could've put it in the 14s. :D

98mysticZ
04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Must be different Toyotas then what I have owned. Previous 00 Tundra I owned was a mushy POS and was at the dealer 3 times in the first 2 years. My current 02 GMC, not one visit to the dealer in 105,000 miles, same for my 04 Tahoe. Current RAV4 I own is a little POS buzz box, no better then a Hyundai SUV. Rented a Corolla on a business trip...Yeh, thats real quality? Must be the Prius and Camry that are the real high quality vehicles.

On the other hand, you are employed to work on Japanese vehicles that never break so you must be like the Matag repair man since Toyotas never break.

what problems did u have with the tundra? and the rav did u ever take it in for the rattles? if no thats ur fault rattles are covered 3/36not toyota fault for u never taking it in..............

and BTW lexus is american built

SScam68
04-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I've driven/owned Fords, Toyotas and GMs as well and I would like to disagree with you. If you think there is some huge quality difference between the brands you are nieve.

Go to a different country and you will see the exact opposite, a lot of people consider their domestic cars inferior to the imports (GM/Ford are imports in other countries). And it's completely baseless. Just a bunch of idiots, if you want to prove otherwise then show some proof, otherwise you just lead me to believe that you are included in that group as well that make up your mind without facts.

I think a lot of people are like that on almost everything in the world though...

Proof? You serious? You don't need to be a genius to figure that one out.

Lets see

1. Ford compares their quality to that of Toyota in a commercial. Bad move IMO but it definitely says something when an established car company (one that implemented the first automotive production line) compares their production to a foriegn manufacturer.

2. In college (mechanical engineering) we were taught about Toyota's design practices. My wife (industrial engineering) learned about their manufacturing and quality control methods. What you can take from that is their practices are being taught at our universities.

3. Last statistic for quality I saw 7 out of 10 manufacturers were foriegn. I don't have it on hand but I can dig it up if you want "proof". It won't be hard.

Also, since you know it all, when integrating a system with thousands of parts you're going to have problems. Again, don't need to be a genius. It's a matter of who has the least.

As for preference, that's subjective, but I bet you're one of those idiots that thinks because it's not american it's garbage

And if you care to know we have 2 Ford trucks (maybe a 3rd very soon) and a GM vehicle in our driveway.

DrkPhynx
04-24-2008, 12:35 PM
what problems did u have with the tundra? and the rav did u ever take it in for the rattles? if no thats ur fault rattles are covered 3/36not toyota fault for u never taking it in..............

Nailing a few parts together does NOT make something American.

They do that only because we force them to. However, the trade agreement isn't so nice going back the other way.

And finally, the #s employed by the japanese companies is a drop in the bucket compared to the #s (of Americans) employed by the big 3.

DrkPhynx
04-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Proof? You serious? You don't need to be a genius to figure that one out.

Lets see

1. Ford compares their quality to that of Toyota in a commercial. Bad move IMO but it definitely says something when an established car company (one that implemented the first automotive production line) compares their production to a foriegn manufacturer.

2. In college (mechanical engineering) we were taught about Toyota's design practices. My wife (industrial engineering) learned about their manufacturing and quality control methods. What you can take from that is their practices are being taught at our universities.

3. Last statistic for quality I saw 7 out of 10 manufacturers were foriegn. I don't have it on hand but I can dig it up if you want "proof". It won't be hard.

Also, since you know it all, when integrating a system with thousands of parts you're going to have problems. Again, don't need to be a genius. It's a matter of who has the least.

As for preference, that's subjective, but I bet you're one of those idiots that thinks because it's not american it's garbage

And if you care to know we have 2 Ford trucks (maybe a 3rd very soon) and a GM vehicle in our driveway.

JD Powers 2007 Dependability study -
Most Dependable Midsize Multi-Activity Vehicle
Awardee(s): Oldsmobile Bravada

Most Dependable Van
Awardee(s): Oldsmobile Silhouette

Most Dependable Midsize Car
Awardee(s): Buick Century

Most Dependable Large Car
Awardee(s): Ford Crown Victoria

Most Dependable Midsize Sporty Car in a Tie
Awardee(s): Ford Mustang, Chevrolet SSR

2007 Initial Quality Study -
Highest Ranked Entry Premium Car in Initial Quality
Awardee(s): Lincoln MKZ

Highest Ranked Midsize Sporty Car in Initial Quality
Awardee(s): Ford Mustang

Highest Ranked Midsize Car in Initial Quality
Awardee(s): Mercury Milan

Highest Ranked Van in Initial Quality
Awardee(s): Chevrolet Express

Silver Plant Quality Award, North/South America
Awardee(s): General Motors Corporation - Oshawa #2, Ontario

Highest Ranked Large Car in Initial Quality
Awardee(s): Pontiac Grand Prix

Highest Ranked Large Pickup in Initial Quality
Awardee(s): Chevrolet Silverado Classic HD

Highest Ranked Large Premium Multi-Activity Vehicle in Initial Quality
Awardee(s): Lincoln Mark LT

Platinum Plant Quality Award, Worldwide
Awardee(s): Ford Motor Company - Wixom, MI

Your comments, though they mirror the mindset of most americans, don't add up against the data.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Nailing a few parts together does NOT make something American.

They do that only because we force them to. However, the trade agreement isn't so nice going back the other way.

And finally, the #s employed by the japanese companies is a drop in the bucket compared to the #s (of Americans) employed by the big 3.

:werd:

Just like the Sprinter Van. You can't pretty much 100% make it in Germany and then turn a couple of bolts in the good old USA and call it American.

mzoomora
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Wow, a Toyota needing $3600 worth of work!!!!!!! Must be a fluke.
:eyes:

dailydriver
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM

Since WHEN is this???

LS1LT1
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
what problems did u have with the tundra? and the rav did u ever take it in for the rattles? if no thats ur fault rattles are covered 3/36not toyota fault for u never taking it in..............Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there...that's not the point.
According to all of the import nameplate worshippers around here the vehicle is supposed to be rattle free and of ULTRA high quality at all times simply because it's a Toyota...if it were that good IT SHOULDN'T BE RATTLING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

and BTW lexus is american builtNOT TRUE!

Model Production Location:
LS Tahara
LS Hybrid Tahara
GS Tahara
GS Hybrid Tahara
ES Kyushu
IS Kyushu and Tahara
IS F Tahara
SC Kanto Jidosha
LX Araco
GX Tahara
RX Kyushu
RX Hybrid Kyushu

dailydriver
04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
On the other hand, you are employed to work on Japanese nameplated vehicles that never break so you must be like the Maytag repair man since Toyotas never break.

^^^^^ :rotflmao:

GOOD ONE!!

I used that same one on a independent mechanic who also was a TOY/'DUH nutschwinging TOTAL azzhat over on bobistheoilguy.com
I asked him how long he planned on being in business from just oil changes on the 'gold standard epitome of perfection'<- :eyes: :eyes: Nippon nameplates he tells his clients to buy exclusively.

Maybe since they are sooooo efficient/perfect/infallible, etc. with their 'kaizen', J.I.T., et al, all of these Japan worshippers want them to come over here and run the WHOLE show/country??
They already have ALL of our other manufacturing, electronics, etc. and it seems like so many of you are just rubbing your hands together in anticipation of them killing off what's left of our auto industry.
I've NEVER seen so many so happy about the prospect of becoming a 4th WORLD country!!
I guess they really did win WW2, huh?? (SORRY for that one vets! :( :mad: )

Blakbird24
04-24-2008, 03:07 PM
This news was inevitable. What's also inevitable is that GM will go bankrupt unless drastic changes are made and GM simply isn't making them.

There is no "new" GM. It's the same company being destroyed by the same hubris and mismanagement as it always has. It's being crushed under the weight of supporting eight nearly worthless brands in a market that doesn't support them and hasn't for 30 years.

The majority of their cars are still poor values, still have corners cut and are still mediocre.

Toyota is a benchmark for a reason and they are the world's wealthiest and fastest growing automaker for a reason.

You've got your facts skewed. The truth is that GM has cars that compete or excel in every single segment and often offer BETTER value than Toyota. GM is neck and neck with Toyota in every aspect of quality right now. Hell, last year 15 out of the top 18 vehicles in JD Power's initial quality study were GM and Toyota...9 GM, 6 Toyota.

Toyota is enjoying the success they currently have thanks to an inaccurate general perception of quality, and lots and lots of trade advantages given to them by our government because they are based outside of the US.

Toyota is the "benchmark" of how to build a bland car and sell it well.

Blakbird24
04-24-2008, 03:17 PM

YOUR university apparently. I, on the other hand, had an entire class about inherent Japanese design flaws, and the reasons why quality engineering thrives in the US and Europe, but is much less consistent in far eastern countries.

My brother, who graduated with his masters in industrial design, had countless classes in which Japanese designs were used as examples of "what not to do". Styling in particular was the biggest issue, and it was fascinating for me to learn why. Their vehicles are styled primarily based on superstitious teachings that are several thousand years old. Shows how ridiculous people in our country are when they eat this shit up.

I refuse to pay $4500 for a tranny rebuild simply because some executive's ancestors said that gears are bad luck.

Well that's what happens when your statistics are over 5 years old. That's the last time "7 out of 10" manufacturers in the top ten for quality were foreign.

TT632
04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
There must be some sort of psychology of denial in an import buyers mind. Once you have sold out, you won't come back as a domestic buyer no matter how bad your import is. I have a fellow Engineer in my office who got pissed off as hell when his Chevy truck had a flat and he couldn't get his tire jack to work. Ran down to the Nissan Dealer and proceded to buy a new Titan. The Chevy truck he traded in and the one before that were inffalable, along with the S10 I sold his son which has 220k on it (Other than fuel pumps from running out of gas every other week). Now all he does is bitch about the Titan and it's poor gas mileage and it being in the shop several times in the first 6 months of ownership. My guess is he'll be back to a GM truck sooner or later.

My current Rav has nothing wrong with it as far as Toyota is concerned, it's just under developed from the factory-ie Wind noise, road noise, poor insulation, no features. Thats what you get for 28k. My 105k mi GMC feels like a Cady by comparison. My 2 year old Tundra had the trans go at 60k and a continuing warped rotor issues the 25k miles I owned it. I'm sure theres some good ones out there, but if I have to take it into the dealership and people are saying they are the best cars in the world I will cry Bunk!

I think my next car is going to be a Supra, it's the best car in the world, or so I'm told on the Supra boards.

dailydriver
04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I think my next car is going to be a Supra, it's the best car in the world, or so I'm told on the Supra boards.

Of course.
Didn't you know that they perform >2000 rwhp surgery on themselves, on pump gas and stock heads/internals, reliably, all the time, without you doing anything, and without you spending a thin dime!!
Why God himself is unworthy to touch this masterpiece of ultimate automotive perfection!!!
Chuck Norris runs in abject fear at the site and ppssshhhh, pppssshhh sounds it makes.
They launch nuclear projectiles out of their low hanging, sidewayzz fart cannons, which vaporize everything else on the road!!! :eek:

Is that enough fanboyzz, or have I not even scratched the surface yet??!
:rotflmao:

2000Hawk
04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
^ OMG LMFAO!!! If it wasn't so damn long i would say that shit right there is sig worthy. But i agree with you guys, i know a ton of people who sware that Japanese cars are gods compared to ours. For a while it would seem GM and even Fords designs "were" straight garbage. And the key word is "were", some of their new designs lately are just amazing to what we had a few years back. I think some people should just open up and take a ride in a GM or Ford vehicle again, im sure they will be suprised.
-Joel

TT632
04-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Of course.
Didn't you know that they perform >2000 rwhp surgery on themselves, on pump gas and stock heads/internals, reliably, all the time, without you doing anything, and without you spending a thin dime!!
Why God himself is unworthy to touch this masterpiece of ultimate automotive perfection!!!
Chuck Norris runs in abject fear at the site and ppssshhhh, pppssshhh sounds it makes.
They launch nuclear projectiles out of their low hanging, sidewayzz fart cannons, which vaporize everything else on the road!!! :eek:

Is that enough fanboyzz, or have I not even scratched the surface yet??!
:rotflmao:

Well, i was going to buy one just to be cool! But now that you brought up all of those features I'm ready to go NOPI racing:headbang:

^ OMG LMFAO!!! If it wasn't so damn long i would say that shit right there is sig worthy. But i agree with you guys, i know a ton of people who sware that Japanese cars are gods compared to ours. For a while it would seem GM and even Fords designs "were" straight garbage. And the key word is "were", some of their new designs lately are just amazing to what we had a few years back. I think some people should just open up and take a ride in a GM or Ford vehicle again, im sure they will be suprised.
-Joel

Yeh, I kind of felt the same thing about Fords. Having tested them in to past, I was never impressed. The Escorts were very poor compared to everything except the Neon. I was never expecting them to step it up a notch, but the wifes leased Explorer had no faults and a very good ride. I borrowed a friends 07 1/2 ton for towing duties and it performed fine on a trip to Ca and back. Mustang still feels kind of cheesy though.
"Were" is right!

chuckie311
04-24-2008, 05:30 PM
never have never will buy a toyota..Gm all the way..

Rawr256
04-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Damn this is like Dejavu reading this thing all over again. Everyone talking about Toyota overtaking GM in ONE 1/4 of the year. Since when has one 1/4 of the year impacted what would happen the other 3/4???

Out of curiosity... how many vehicles has Toyota'd recalled this year alone? I know they just did a recall for the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix... Somehow the Vibe made front page news with 150k or so recalls... but the Matrix dodged it with 570k or something like that.

Hell I want to say it was a couple million in # of recalls accross the board for Toyota, GM and Ford were in the low 100,000 range. Oh I get it now... the more recalls must = the great amount of quality and thourogh testing right!? These guys pull their Nascar trailer with their own truck yet or they still using that unreliable GM truck?:eyes:

2000Hawk
04-24-2008, 06:44 PM
never have never will buy a toyota..Gm all the way..

My first car was a 1996 Toyota Celica :bang:, used to be my moms. But my second car is my current car, the T/A :D. Then she went from that to a 2001 convertible mustang, then got an 06 mustang because she loves how they look. My dad had a 350Z liked it, then got the car hes always...a corvette. And my brother a few months back traded in his dumdumdumdum for an 07 JK Jeep Wrangler. I understand we must be open we can't tell the import owners they are selling out America by buying Japanese, if most of us are saying we will only buy american. It just makes us as bad as them, i just wish alot of the Japanese loving owners would just get off their cloud and take a look at the recent production of vehicles the General and Ford have come out with.
-Joel

NemeSS
04-24-2008, 08:19 PM
i hate toyota, if i had to go ricer i would go gtr r34 skyline, but since they are not available anymore i guess its not gonna happen

OSUBraden
04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Eh, even if I went 'ricer' I'd still go Chevrolet:
http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/3060000000056119.JPG?0.5653490592089911

unit213
04-24-2008, 09:29 PM
If you look at it from a manufacturing standpoint Toyota IS the bar.

Can you please educate us about Toyota and their manufacturing
process vs the American auto makers mfg process? In your response,
please define your role and expertise in the auto industry so that
we fully understand and appreciate your valued input. Also note how
many assembly plants you've physically been in...both Toyota and
American OEMs. That's clearly a requirement if you're going to provide
first-hand knowledge of Toyota's outstanding mfg process.

Please spare us what you've read, heard, seen on the internet, etc.
Give us some FACTS based upon personal experience please so we
can really understand what you're referring to.

Once you're done, I'll compare my first hand experience as a high level
employee of a billion plus dollar (annually) Tier 1 supplier to all automakers
from a Quality, Delivery, Technology, and a Pricing standpoint. I'm curious
to see how my thoughts align to yours.

Thanks.

The Manalishi
04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Can you please educate us about Toyota and their manufacturing
process vs the American auto makers mfg process? In your response,
please define your role and expertise in the auto industry so that
we fully understand and appreciate your valued input. Also note how
many assembly plants you've physically been in...both Toyota and
American OEMs. That's clearly a requirement if you're going to provide
first-hand knowledge of Toyota's outstanding mfg process.

Please spare us what you've read, heard, seen on the internet, etc.
Give us some FACTS based upon personal experience please so we
can really understand what you're referring to.

Once you're done, I'll compare my first hand experience as a high level
employee of a billion plus dollar (annually) Tier 1 supplier to all automakers
from a Quality, Delivery, Technology, and a Pricing standpoint. I'm curious
to see how my thoughts aligns to yours.

Thanks.

Ouch that is going to leave a mark.

TT632
04-24-2008, 10:48 PM
My first car was a 1996 Toyota Celica :bang:, used to be my moms. But my second car is my current car, the T/A :D. Then she went from that to a 2001 convertible mustang, then got an 06 mustang because she loves how they look. My dad had a 350Z liked it, then got the car hes always...a corvette. And my brother a few months back traded in his dumdumdumdum for an 07 JK Jeep Wrangler. I understand we must be open we can't tell the import owners they are selling out America by buying Japanese, if most of us are saying we will only buy american. It just makes us as bad as them, i just wish alot of the Japanese loving owners would just get off their cloud and take a look at the recent production of vehicles the General and Ford have come out with.
-Joel

I can understand where you are coming from but this does not take into account that the Japanese are protectionist and have always protected thier Auto industry. Apparently our import buying public does not take this into consideration when they make their car buying choice. When Japanese cars were a novelty they were no threat to our jobs. Now that Toyota has passed Ford and what now looks like GM it will only have a negative affect on our economy and jobs. The Import supporters will always try to put a spin on it and say look at Toyota's truck plant in Texas and how many people they employ! A couple of following tid bits tell the real story.

GM US assembly plants 2007: 19
Toyota US assembly plants 2007: 3
Honda US assembly plants 2007: 5
Total Foreign US assembly plants: 11

A better mark of the damage the foreign automakers make on our economy is the domestic content, which takes into account our American suppliers. Highest Domestic content of the Foreign companies is Honda followed by Nissan, followed by Toyota.

LS1LT1
04-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Out of curiosity... how many vehicles has Toyota'd recalled this year alone? I know they just did a recall for the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix... Somehow the Vibe made front page news with 150k or so recalls... but the Matrix dodged it with 570k or something like that.Oh that's a COMMON practice...I almost take it for granted now that the general media will GO OUT OF IT'S WAY to ignore recalls/quality defects among import namplate carmakers while plastering HUGE headlines when the same thing happens among the domestic nameplates.

LS1LT1
04-25-2008, 12:29 AM
I can understand where you are coming from but this does not take into account that the Japanese are protectionist and have always protected thier Auto industry. Apparently our import buying public does not take this into consideration when they make their car buying choice.I always point that out to people too.
Some people are always crying the "global economy/there's no harm in buying an import" credo when I state that American citizens should be and should WANT TO BE buying a GM/Ford (and once again, Chrysler) vehicle but it's ironic that the very vehicles those same people often choose come from a nation of people that will ONLY buy their own! :lol:
So it's wrong for me to even hint at a protectionist type policy but it's perfectly logical to buy a vehicle from a manufacturer homebased in a PURELY PROTECTIONIST nation?:huh: :confused:
As I've said before...German people living in Germany buy only German nameplate vehicles.
Japanese people living in Japan buy ONLY Japanese nameplate vehicles.
I'm an American living in America and I choose to buy only American nameplate vehicles...if there's something wrong with that please be sure to let Germany and Japan know about it as well.

The Import supporters will always try to put a spin on it and say look at Toyota's truck plant in Texas and how many people they employ! A couple of following tid bits tell the real story.

GM US assembly plants 2007: 19
Toyota US assembly plants 2007: 3
Honda US assembly plants 2007: 5
Total Foreign US assembly plants: 11Just to add to that a little bit...if these Japanese owned plants located in the U.S. are as productive, efficient and profitable as everyone says that they are then wouldn't it ALSO hold true that each one can operate with FAR FEWER employees/auto workers?
Hmm, :thinker: I'm all for better efficiency and strong productivity and all but umm, where exactly are all those jobs (and U.S. TAX BASE) that were lost to more efficient manufacturing processes going?:huh:

chuckie311
04-25-2008, 04:18 PM
-Joel

and you qutoed me for what??? that i wont buy a toyota.. i have owned a couple Japanese car`s i had a 350z before i bought my truck and before that a nissan maxima. i just said i will never buy a toyota..

2000Hawk
04-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Just saying how i didn't really have a choice in my first car thats the reason i posted the head banging. If i would have had a choice it would have definetly been a GM vehicle.
-Joel

turbo
04-26-2008, 10:57 PM
This thread just proves how many stupid people there are.....

LS1LT1
04-27-2008, 12:57 AM
This thread just proves how many stupid people there are.........and your post just proves how many pompous, dismissive, smug and arrogant people there are as well.

turbo
04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey you know what, I am sorry for what I said. I was just venting out loud and all I did was contribute to this mess.