Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam Tuning

I have a question for those who have done this before. I installed a cam. The car runs surprisingly well right off the bat. I have planned of course on getting it tuned.

My only gripes are minor. 1) It stalls easily when backing and moving in tight places. 2) Smells of raw fuel at the tail pipes.

Now these are 2 things I can live with. If I have this car tuned, Will the idle change? I like the choppy idle it has, just wondering will I lose that if its tuned?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Z28_98
I have a question for those who have done this before. I installed a cam. The car runs surprisingly well right off the bat. I have planned of course on getting it tuned.

My only gripes are minor. 1) It stalls easily when backing and moving in tight places. 2) Smells of raw fuel at the tail pipes.

Now these are 2 things I can live with. If I have this car tuned, Will the idle change? I like the choppy idle it has, just wondering will I lose that if its tuned?
if you get a good tune all that should be fixed. however if you dont have cat's you will still smell that unburn fuel smell but it wont run as rich. how does it drive and what size cam?

just beware who tunes your car i've had 2 people do mine and the driveablilty is not that great
Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cam is in the 230's duration and in the 6's lift. I am running cats so thats a lot of unburned fuel!!

I just dont want to lose my choppy idle. If my idle will change, I may live with it the way it is.

Once the car's going, it runs like the stock cam did, just with a lot more kick. The only drivability issues are very minor, mainly when driving at a crawl turning the wheel a lot, it stalls easily.

I havnt matted it yet cuz i'm giving the springs a few heat cycles to get broken in.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'r not going to lose your idle lope with a tune. they might inprove your idle but you wont lose that great sound the cam makes
Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Tune asap, if you have cats and heavy smell, it means you are running rich, which can destroy your engine in a short time.