General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeak

i started my car today and i have a really bad squeak coming from the center of the engine and i cant figure out what it is i just replaced my waterpump with a new one not a reman about a week ago and its got new belts a new tensioner pulley. the only other thing i can think of is the idler pulley and i tried to replace that when i did the water pump but oreilly didnt have the right pulley. on there pulley the bearing is sunk into far for my dust shield to work it would just stop the pulley. i went to chevy and they said that there was 2 types of idler pulley design 1 and 2 where design one had a black dust shield and 2 had a silver one. i aparently have design 2. but those stupid ******* wanted 70 dollars for it so i said **** it ill use the original one. and i was listening to my engine and my belt completely stopped moving for almost half a second. any ideas?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I created a thread or two earlier about looking at a low mileage 2000 z28 convert from a dealer.

Ended up going ahead with the purchase after two test drives and about a week overall of thinking about it.

Of course, when we finally pick the car up I drive it around town for several hours pushing it to the limits and start to hear a minor hissing / squeaking sound.

Now it is making a squeaking sound consistently while driving it around, with no issues other than that evident. Oddly enough, when i turn the A/C on every time the noise goes right away. I could do this over and over to get the sound to go away / then come right back.

This leads me to believe it's a belt possibly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

What about the idler and tensioner for the a/c belt?
They all turn with the engine running a/c on or not. They usually get noisey from water (or coolant) getting on them.

Originally Posted by brandon2000z
i started my car today and i have a really bad squeak coming from the center of the engine and i cant figure out what it is i just replaced my waterpump with a new one not a reman about a week ago and its got new belts a new tensioner pulley. the only other thing i can think of is the idler pulley and i tried to replace that when i did the water pump but oreilly didnt have the right pulley. on there pulley the bearing is sunk into far for my dust shield to work it would just stop the pulley. i went to chevy and they said that there was 2 types of idler pulley design 1 and 2 where design one had a black dust shield and 2 had a silver one. i aparently have design 2. but those stupid ******* wanted 70 dollars for it so i said **** it ill use the original one. and i was listening to my engine and my belt completely stopped moving for almost half a second. any ideas?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Idler pulley.