Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tokico Shocks - Review

Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tokico Shocks - Review

Hey all, just wanted to give a review on the Tokico blue's I just put in. I replaced the front and rear shocks on my stock 93,000 mile setup, lol. Kept stock springs because I did not want to lower. (The roads here are terrible and I also park every day in a parking garage with large speed bumps.)

I have to say that these are perfect for someone who wants a good stock replacement. The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but not by much. Bumps and potholes are still muted, but the entire car has a nice feel to it. The shocks look very well built, and came with all new mounting hardware. They can't be beat for the price in my opinion!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you.
Can't lower due to crap roads and low LTs and t/a mount.

I've been looking into tokicos because bilsteins are nowhere and I can't really justify $800 for shocks seeing as my car is 99% street driven.

ps my car is identical to yours on the outside

Last edited by triggerjerk; 04-25-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by triggerjerk
I'm in the same boat as you.
Can't lower due to crap roads and low LTs and t/a mount.

I've been looking into tokicos because bilsteins are no where and I can't really justify $800 for shocks seeing as my car is 99% street driven.

ps my car is identical to yours on the outside
Oh, I am sure you will be happy going with them then. The only trouble I had in the install was getting the springs off the old shocks. The top nut was so rusted out on mine....NJ sucks for that kind of thing.

BTW, funny that we have the same car too!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the review. Can you give a comparative rating? Let's say the stockers are a 1 and assuming that all the hype over Konis is true, making them a 10, where would you put the Tokicos performance-wise?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will probably replace my stockers with these.........Ive also seen the white tokicos, are those better?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grimes
Oh, I am sure you will be happy going with them then. The only trouble I had in the install was getting the springs off the old shocks. The top nut was so rusted out on mine....NJ sucks for that kind of thing.

BTW, funny that we have the same car too!
I've heard the stock bolts do that alot on our cars.
Did the Tokicos come with new hardware then?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

That bolt is notorious for rusting, whenever i put it back i always put a **** ton of anti sieze on the new one so i wont have that issue.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I have Tokicos on my 99 T/A and I am really impressed with how they've held up. I've had them for about 2-3 years now and they have a firm but nice ride to them. The rear passenger just started squeaking a little, but I put some lube on it, and it was no problem.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by triggerjerk
I've heard the stock bolts do that alot on our cars.
Did the Tokicos come with new hardware then?
Yes, the front and rears came with new hardware!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMmexican
I will probably replace my stockers with these.........Ive also seen the white tokicos, are those better?
I was under the impression that the white ones are adjustable, but I really can't give any input on how they are performance wise.

To the person asking about the blue's compared to Konis, I really think it's an apple to oranges thing. If I were to lower and get stiffer springs, I would probably have saved up for Konis. But since I am just keeping things mostly stock, I am more than happy with the performance of the Tokicos. There is just such a huge price difference, I couldn't justify spending that much for my particular situation. But hey, if you have the cash, I have only heard great things about the Konis.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Good to see a review of different shocks. It's nice to have options, especially when considering price (coming from a guy who has Koni's). Have you tried any other shocks besides the Decarbons to compare the Tokicos to?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ran the "white" (illumina) 5-way adjustable shocks/struts on my old cobra for several years.. they were o.k. the adjustability of them really didnt seem to do squat..

put a full maximum motorsports setup on the car and kept the same struts/shocks, untill about 500 miles later the passenger side strut started spewing fluid and not working properly.. replaced them witha set of tokico D-specs.. now those bitches were bayaddd. i loved them, the performance difference was huge,a nd the adjustability actually noticable. the car's handling at that point was flat out ridiculous, and the ride was far better than stock to boot. it was quite the rig. donno why my dumbass sold it, it was rare too (mystic). anyhow, theres my input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tokico Shocks - Review