General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squealing idler pulley .... Arg!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squealing idler pulley .... Arg!!

My idler pully is squealing worse than Ned Beatty in the hillbilly scene on Deliverence. I've tried wd40 which lasts all of 5 seconds before squealing again. Is it replacement time? Should I opt for one of those fancy Katech numbers? Any advice would be appreciated because I can't hear my loud exhaust over the squeeking.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Launching!

i had the same problem so i thought, the belt looked fine so i figured it had to be the idler pulley becuse every time i sprayed the pulley with wd40 it the squealing would stop for a few seconds and then it would start back up , so i went down to autozone got the pulley replaced it and then i started her up and what do you know it was sqeaking again, then for some reason i went and abought a new serpentine belt from autozone and it stoped then it started back up the next day a week letter the belt came off while i was driving and got torn to shreds then i bought another belt and i have been sqeak freee ever since,

moral of the story please make sure it isnt ur belt before you replace the idler pulley,

btw belt dressing dont do ****
Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine squeals really bad only when I start it after it rains outside or when there is moisture in the air. I know its the idler pulley, theres nothing worse than a squealing belt. embarresing. Im just going to go and buy a new one, although a couple a weeks ago there was a thread on here where a guy did a write up about removing his pulley and repacking it with grease, worked for him dont remember what section it was in though.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

ok.... i'll take this from another thread... maybe i'm having a similiar issue.

Ok, I created a thread or two earlier about looking at a low mileage 2000 z28 convert from a dealer.

Ended up going ahead with the purchase after two test drives and about a week overall of thinking about it.

Of course, when we finally pick the car up I drive it around town for several hours pushing it to the limits and start to hear a minor hissing / squeaking sound.

Now it is making a squeaking sound consistently while driving it around, with no issues other than that evident. Oddly enough, when i turn the A/C on every time the noise goes right away. I could do this over and over to get the sound to go away / then come right back.

This leads me to believe it's a belt possibly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...grease+pulleys
Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Alright, first i regreased the tensioner pulley (top left of engine if your in the front). - squeak still there.

Next, regreased the smooth idler pulley on the right side of engine, and down one pulley. - still squeaky

Yesterday regreased the AC Tensioner idler pulley, and I'm about to find out if it doesnt squeak any more
Old 04-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Let me know how it goes! How much time / labor is involved with greasing up your pulleys?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

what lubrication are u using? gm (especially lt1s) are notorious for squeaky belts.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Teching In

I greased all my pulleys about a year ago and still have have no squeaks. I used standard wheel bearing grease.