Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

i have a couple question 94 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a couple question 94 firebird

i have a 94 firebird...
my headlights work fine but when i let them down they make a grinding noise should i be worried??
and is there a supercharger kit for the 3.4 in my car??
Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the headlight is the gear.. sooner or later most of them do this.. you can order a brass gear for about $40 and break the motor open and replacet he gear, or you can first try the free fix which involves raising the headlight door op, removing the 4 screws that hold the plastic bezel.. then remove the 1 bolt that holds the headlight motor shaft to the motor.. with the shaft removed, manually rotate the headlight motor 180 degrees so that the little keyed piece on the motor (looks like a rectangle with rounded off edges) is exactly in the opposite position it was in when you started (will llook the same, but you need to have it upside down of where it started) bolt the headlight motor shaft back on.. now raise and lower the headlight... it will do one of 2 things.. either 1 it will be totally fixed, or 2 it will grind when the headlight goes up, but will stay down when the parking lights are on (this is how its supposed to work)

hope this helps.

as for the supercharger, i'm not sure... i own an LT1
Old 04-25-2008, 04:29 PM

The grinding noise is the gear inside the motor that lifts the headlight.. It only uses one side of the gear to open and it is stripped.. I just got done doing this to my 95 TA and the problem is now gone... Here is a link that might help you...

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide

Hope this helps... GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Launching!

I've replaced both my headlight motors with brass units. For $40, you can't go wrong, and the brass units will outlast the stock plastic ones. Cheap easy fix. As far as the supercharger goes... GM supercharged Boneville's back in 94. I'm not sure if the Bonneville ran the 3.4, or the 3.8 Litre V6. I'd do some research if I were you, and if the Boneville had a 3.4, you're in luck.

I think the supercharged Bonnie's made about 250 HP. (My buddie's dad had one!)
Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly the Boneville ran the 3.8L V6 supercharged. The early fourth gens got the 3.4L base V6. The two are in different families, the 3.4L is in the same family as the 2.8L, 3.1L... GM V6's. Because that family of engines has been out so long there are performance parts out there for them.

Quick Reply: i have a couple question 94 firebird