Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pully position - holy crap I did not know this

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pully position - holy crap I did not know this

I'm currently in the process of replacing my head/cam and, as usual,I'm not as prepared as I should have been. I've already removed the crank pully. I was looking at the service manual and it states that if removing the crank pully for a manual transmission application you need to make sure you put the pully on in exactly the same position you took it off. I don't have a manual transmission (whew), however I wanted to confirm that it is NOT necessary to replace the crank pully in the same position as prior to removal on automatic transmission applications. If it is necessary, what is a fella to do if he doesn't remember what the previous position of the pully was?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you read that? I was not aware of it and slapped it on and it seems to be just fine and straight as a die
Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

GM Service manual. Says you must do this for manual transmission cars. Apparently the flywheel and balanacer are externally balanced for manual transmission cars.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

It might be for Corvette only applications though so you might be safe.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

"crank pully position - holy crap I did not know this "

"what is a fella to do if he doesn't remember what the previous position of the pully was?"

What year, engine ?

I changed 3 Y2Y 5.7 AND 3 Y2Y 5.3 both A4'
so I can not speak for any standard, but I do not think is would be any problem ,IF it were to matter then it would be>> keyed
just my $.02 , Johnny
Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't matter, just slap the pulley back on
Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

98 vette a4

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
"crank pully position - holy crap I did not know this "

"what is a fella to do if he doesn't remember what the previous position of the pully was?"

What year, engine ?

I changed 3 Y2Y 5.7 AND 3 Y2Y 5.3 both A4'
so I can not speak for any standard, but I do not think is would be any problem ,IF it were to matter then it would be>> keyed
just my $.02 , Johnny
Old 04-26-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

WTF!! I didn't know this.. I just stuck it back on.. no problems yet o well
Old 04-26-2008, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe you can look at the marks on the inside of the pulley and the lines on the outside of the crank. Kind of like the marks on a bullet and a gun barrell. Maybe you can find a match.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Teching In

That doesnt make sense... but I could be mistaken... LS1s are internally balanced so the flywheel and crank pulley should both be 0 balance (that the right term?). Besides, how would one be able to replace it with an aftermarket if this were the case? And also if Im not mistaken on this, all the crank pulley does is dampen engine vibrations (harmonics).
Old 04-26-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by verano29
It might be for Corvette only applications though so you might be safe.

I have heard the same but don't personally know for sure. My crowd runs a little lower on the Socio Economic scale than the Vette guys
Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, service manual states this. However, consider an aftermarket pulley. I was concerned when I installed mt ATI pulley. ATI states not to alter the balance as it is zero balanced from them. Also, consider the diameter, its small so a little off balance will have much less affect than the flywheel.

Having said all that, I would seriously consider at a minimum a new pulley. Reasons, first on a Vette they are a bitch to change. Second, it is an interference fit aluminum hub on the stock pulley. There seems to be more guys have problems after removal and installation of the same pulley then those who install a new one.

Have you considered a Powerbond underdrive? New Era sells it, very nice quality unit, better quality than stock. I know, more money. Tell your wife it was my idea
Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it really made a difference there would have to be a way to locate it on the crank such as a keyway. You would never be able to get it back on in exactly the same position without a locator. Since GM did not do this, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with vettenuts on the replacement. Since they are such a pain to get on/off, now is the time to upgrade it.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

The LS1 engine is balanced internally, the reason for the instructions is that after the C5 engine/torque tube and transmission are assembled, its balanced further as an assembly. You can see the little pins added to the holes in the stock C5 balancer. Not sure as to why, because the torque tube shaft is in a different spot every time you press the clutch pedal down.

But with all that, I've never noticed any difference between adding a pulley or swapping clutches, so I think it must be a very slight balance change.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like we determined that it doesn't matter how it goes on.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

The service manual is very clear about the fact that in some applications you need to do this. Its a bit ambiguos if its for corvettes only (seems to be) or for manual transmission vehicles.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

The crankshaft and balancer on all ls1/ls6 is a balanced assembly and must be installed in exactly the same position as it was removed.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The crankshaft and balancer on all ls1/ls6 is a balanced assembly and must be installed in exactly the same position as it was removed.
I think that is a mis-statement of fact or I would be screwed.

I use to have an auto trans like you and converted to a six speed. I had the dampner off for maggie install and did not put it back on in the same place.

So, if that was true I would be out of balance when I converted to a manual tranny set-up and I'm not.

I spin to 6500 rpm with no problems or vibration. GM neutral balanced everything. If they found out that they made a mistake at least with the manual cars they would correct it by adding weights to the flywheel.

Hope that helps some.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
I think that is a mis-statement of fact or I would be screwed.

I use to have an auto trans like you and converted to a six speed. I had the dampner off for maggie install and did not put it back on in the same place.

So, if that was true I would be out of balance when I converted to a manual tranny set-up and I'm not.

I spin to 6500 rpm with no problems or vibration. GM neutral balanced everything. If they found out that they made a mistake at least with the manual cars they would correct it by adding weights to the flywheel.

Hope that helps some.
For manual trans cars it talks about wieghts that fit into the holes drilled in the balancer. Anyway if any of us are screwed for not doing this I am as well as I did not remember where I took it off.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For manual trans cars it talks about wieghts that fit into the holes drilled in the balancer. Anyway if any of us are screwed for not doing this I am as well as I did not remember where I took it off.
I think that's if they had a problem balancing the motor.

I know some guys with vettes have seen the weights used in the flywheel, but not on the balancer.

The stock balancers suck anyway and I would put in an after-market unit.

The stock ones rubber starts to deteriorate with age and the seperate, which causes wobble that leads to belt squealing and other problems.