Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest cam...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest cam...

Basically I want the biggest cam i can possibly put into my 02 SS, its a 6 speed. It is my weekend play car, I have a GTP and a Jeep for DD's. I plan on dumping a good bit of money in the car and get a pretty nasty N/A car. so what would be the biggest cam I could go with, and what would I have to change other than lifters, pushrods...etc. I have heard the MS4 cam is the best but I'm not sure. Also what are a really good set of heads to go with?
Old 04-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MS4 is a pretty big cam, defiantely gonna need upgraded valve springs, possibly patriot gold duals, some hardened pushrods, should be OK with lifters, Your clutch will be a weak spot, before a cam install, make sure you have got some bolt-ons such as headers, lid, etc...I know the 5.3L heads are a good choice and AFR.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Obviously the bolt ons are a must. They are already on the car. The clutch will be changed as well. I'm also planning on putting a 12 bolt under there for sure.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SUPRSLO
Basically I want the biggest cam i can possibly put into my 02 SS, its a 6 speed. It is my weekend play car, I have a GTP and a Jeep for DD's. I plan on dumping a good bit of money in the car and get a pretty nasty N/A car. so what would be the biggest cam I could go with, and what would I have to change other than lifters, pushrods...etc. I have heard the MS4 cam is the best but I'm not sure. Also what are a really good set of heads to go with?

bro i would do lots of searches with the little search tab up top of your screen. figure out what you want the car to do, track times, dyno numbers, so on then search for guys that fit that bracket and see what they are running and go from there.there has never been a question that i have thought of that i havent found several or hundreds of answers for by searching the site. trust me every question or combo has been posted here

you can do plenty with a properly researched setup without going monster cam. you will see plenty of guys making as much power as i do with a smaller cam. if you want the big cam sound i can understand that but plenty of smaller cams than ms4 are plenty noticable in the sound department. im in no way bashing the ms4 cuz most everything i have bought for my ride came from texas speed. TSP kicks ***, you can even call them and ask them for advice. they were great every time i did. i know the time difference can be a bitch i used to live in k-bay.

an example would be i just typed ' ms4 dyno ' into the search and 450 forum posts of results came up lol. if you search those you can get all the good, the bad, and the ugly of what to do and not to do. good luck

Last edited by 02HawkTA#195; 04-26-2008 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Addict

Don't get me wrong buddy , but Big doesn't mean it performs better i would suggest ya to contact Patrick G over here and see what he will say

peace
Old 04-26-2008, 04:55 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

trex, vindicator, if you really want to go with a big cam, something in the 240 duration with 600 lift is about as big as I have seen anyone put in a stock CI motor and have good luck with. The car's gonna be cranky like that though, you're probably gonna want to speed density tune it to help with drivability, and definately get some 4.30 or 4.56 gears in that 12 bolt when you get it, that will make it alot better too. With a really big cam, the powerband is gonna be all in the upper rpm.

A set of arp rod bolts wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say TREX or custom from Pred-Z or PatG. You will NEED a good tune & supporting mods to get the most out of it though, as mentioned above.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone ever hear of the LG Motorsports g5xx cam. She's pretty big and makes nasty numbers with all supporting mods. Hows 53x rwhp 48x rwtq sound to you ?? Oh yeah, it was in a 346 .
Old 04-26-2008, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Anyone ever hear of the LG Motorsports g5xx cam. She's pretty big and makes nasty numbers with all supporting mods. Hows 53x rwhp 48x rwtq sound to you ?? Oh yeah, it was in a 346 .
Do you have anymore details on this combo?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Top Fuel
Do you have anymore details on this combo?
All bolt ons, (90 combo, lg pro longtubes no cats, not sure on rear section)
I don't think this car had an EWP or ud pully either. Just AFR 205s and the g5xx cam with full exhaust. This cam is not a daily driver. Huge lift, huge duration, can you say change the dual valve springs when you change your oil. J/K I don't know the interval, but I have to imagine those springs are taking quite a beating.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Iroc
I'd say TREX or custom from Pred-Z or PatG. You will NEED a good tune & supporting mods to get the most out of it though, as mentioned above.
couldnt agree more

TREX or the G5x4...

look at the top of the list for cam only...even with all these new cams out no one has topped the list yet...those times are from 05 and 06...
Old 04-26-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The biggest you can go without having to flycut I believe is the Magic Stick.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just remember these cams won't make the power claimed unless you do everything. Read a few posts with guys that didn't do the necessary mods and couldn't understand why they didn't make the advertised hp for the cam.