Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant on header bolts?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default coolant on header bolts?????

I am removing the bolts of the driver side header (Hooker big block long tube modified to fit my LQ9 6.0L) because the shop that modified my headers installed the gasket the wrong way...
I find a fluid that looks like coolant on 3 of the header bolts..., on the thread and under the bolt heads, where it seats. And I do not understand. The front bolt is all dry.
I also see a few drops of coolant (clearly green) hanging at the bottom of the driver side header, next to the collector; marks seem to show that it has run down there along a header tube.
The car was never driven, just started a couple of times in the garage (because no full exhaust, no registration...).
What is up with that??? Do the bolt holes in the head open into the coolant passage and require sealant? (although the shop manual does not mention that)?
What is the problem, how do I solve it?
UPDATE:
So now, I have put thread sealant on the header bolts on the driver side, it is not leaking anymore, but now coolant is leaking heavily on the passenger side, coming mostly from the front header bolt and bubbling from under the header flange on most of its length!
Again, what is up with that????
Is this normal that the header bolts need sealant, or is this the symptom of another problem?

Last edited by wave1957; 05-05-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: coolant on header bolts?????