General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC compressor

Ok, so about two years ago, I blew a hole in the bottom of my AC compressor and have been driving with it like that since. So can I just replace the compressor or are there other things that need replaced now? Also, would it be alright to buy a used compressor or is that to big of a gamble?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that depends on if air got into your system.. if it did, you are looking at replacing the dryer, and maybe the evaporator

if no air got in, you are just looking at buying a compressor

as long as the compressor worked before, i dont see why you shouldnt buy a used one, thats what i did, but before i installed it, i changed the oil.

you need to find out if the oil leaked out of your system, the entire system holds about 9 oz of fluid, and the compressor holds around 2 of those oz
Old 04-30-2008, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
that depends on if air got into your system.. if it did, you are looking at replacing the dryer, and maybe the evaporator

if no air got in, you are just looking at buying a compressor

as long as the compressor worked before, i dont see why you shouldnt buy a used one, thats what i did, but before i installed it, i changed the oil.

you need to find out if the oil leaked out of your system, the entire system holds about 9 oz of fluid, and the compressor holds around 2 of those oz
Is there a way I can tell if air got into my system? I did it on a new years eve in my drive way, revving it up. I know it dumped some fluid from it in my drive. Here is a pic. of the stuff from it, the quarter is just for size.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly i would replace it all...how much is it worth to you to take another risk and blow a hole in a 700$ compressor...drier, condensor, orfice tube...etc etc...id do it...or just take it off...
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 PM

you need to replace your compressor, reciever/drier, and your evaporator for sure. there are decedent bags in your evaporator to keep moisture out the lines in a sealed system. if you have a hole in your compressor then it definetely has moisture in it. i remember when i worked at napa they had a deal where you get a remanufactured compressor and drier and evaporator for like 300 bucks. hope that helps
Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Banned

There are no bags of anything in the evaporator, it's in the accumulator. The evaporator is the coil inside the car, the accumulator is the round can thing under the hood. These cars do not have reciever/driers.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 PM

your right. i meant the orfice tube. got confused. there are decedent bags in the evaporator and non in the accumulator. the accumulator is in front of your radiator and it looks like a second radiator of some sort. the round can is the evaporator where the low pressure liquid turns into a low pressure gas to go into the compressor again to start the process all over again. im not trying to be a jackass but i am certified in climate control systems in automotive technology. so i think i do know the difference between an accumulator and a evaporator. you are right about it not having a reciever dryier tho, it has an orfice tube
Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a hole in an A/C line, the one running up front to the accumulator. Should I replace anything but the line?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99redm6Z28
your right. i meant the orfice tube. got confused. there are decedent bags in the evaporator and non in the accumulator. the accumulator is in front of your radiator and it looks like a second radiator of some sort. the round can is the evaporator where the low pressure liquid turns into a low pressure gas to go into the compressor again to start the process all over again. im not trying to be a jackass but i am certified in climate control systems in automotive technology. so i think i do know the difference between an accumulator and a evaporator. you are right about it not having a reciever dryier tho, it has an orfice tube
Damn dude, the evaporator is in the car-it's a smaller radiator like coil, the condenser is in front of the radiator. The orifice tube is in the liquid line between the condenser and evaporator. The accumulator has the dessicant in it and is between the evaporator and compressor (in the suction line).
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KnightmareLS1
I have a hole in an A/C line, the one running up front to the accumulator. Should I replace anything but the line?
The seal kit you can buy at autozone for $6--good idea to change all of them for the price.
The accumulator should be replaced although I've had no problems reusing old ones.
While you have it apart take the liquid line out and pull the orifice tube out of it, if it's dirty replace it too.

Depending on the situation I might flush/drain all the oil and add new PAG150.

Theres no straight answer not knowing specific details, this is why shops replace it all and we freak out at the price.

Realistically you might get by replacing the line, using a vacuum pump on it for several hours, and adding refrigerant.