Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no one uses a turbo 400 anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no one uses a turbo 400 anymore?

Hear about them less and less, why? What are disadvantages? (I dont mind a 3 speed mine is 75% track car)
Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people are wanting an overdrive for street driveability these days,nothing wrong with a turbo 400 if you dont need overdrive.They are plenty strong and a lot cheaper than a 4l80e,probably about 40 lbs lighter too.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

I just did the swap in my T/A from a th350. Hopefully this one will hold up and I got a heck of a deal on the trans.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Will one bolt right up to my car or do I need a spacer?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

I have an ls1 i'm not sure about the lt1 because in my old lt1 I only ran t56's. I'm sure it can be done tho. I wouldn't think the bolt pattern would be any different but don't hold me to it.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read the stickey
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In response to the OP... We built TH400's very, very frequently.

Currently I have 2 builds in the shop. One is completed on is waiting on the cust to bring some $$$. Both are going into late F-Bodies. One is a T-56 conversion we are in the middle of and one is going behind a very powerful forced induction LSX block based powertrain later this year.

The issue is many guys do not run these because they need to preserve overdrive for the sake of driveability in town and on the road.

We have many, many guys running TH400's, TH350's and Powerglides!

g
Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Edit: I do need to do more research.

Last edited by Hark_Z; 04-29-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
In response to the OP... We built TH400's very, very frequently.

Currently I have 2 builds in the shop. One is completed on is waiting on the cust to bring some $$$. Both are going into late F-Bodies. One is a T-56 conversion we are in the middle of and one is going behind a very powerful forced induction LSX block based powertrain later this year.

The issue is many guys do not run these because they need to preserve overdrive for the sake of driveability in town and on the road.

We have many, many guys running TH400's, TH350's and Powerglides!

g
At what point is a good time to go to a Glide? My TH400 is supposed to be good to about 1200 hp and I will be in the neighborhood, turbo car.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ28
At what point is a good time to go to a Glide? My TH400 is supposed to be good to about 1200 hp and I will be in the neighborhood, turbo car.
This really can lead to its own discussion. There will be several opinions on it!

The decision to swap to a Glide is very combination specific. Lot's of guys think that if the cars hits a wicked 60' it will carry through to a desirable e.t. or MPH. While that is true in most very high h/p applications, it is not always true in low to medium h/p combinations.

The reason is this... if you hit the car hard on the start you run the risk of untracking... often. Also, lots of guys think that throwing the front end up in a mad wheelie is advantageous. It is not at all conducive to running good lap times... unless you are making mad horsepower... and even then there is wasted energy in picking up the frt end.

Point is, with a Glide one can leave with much more N20 for example. Only because it has a higher 1st gear ratio than the 3 or 4 speeds. But... at the tp end they all have the same Direct gear ratio. 1:1.

But as quick as I say that... there are plenty of very fast race cars out there running TH400s. Lot's of them.

Personally I like the Glide because it has less rotating mass, it is lighter and it has many less moving parts than any other automatic box used in drag racing.

If you have a very well build TH400... I would say stick with it. You won't be disappointed, they are brutally strong transmissions.

Those are some of my thoughts.

g
Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
This really can lead to its own discussion. There will be several opinions on it!

The decision to swap to a Glide is very combination specific. Lot's of guys think that if the cars hits a wicked 60' it will carry through to a desirable e.t. or MPH. While that is true in most very high h/p applications, it is not always true in low to medium h/p combinations.

The reason is this... if you hit the car hard on the start you run the risk of untracking... often. Also, lots of guys think that throwing the front end up in a mad wheelie is advantageous. It is not at all conducive to running good lap times... unless you are making mad horsepower... and even then there is wasted energy in picking up the frt end.

Point is, with a Glide one can leave with much more N20 for example. Only because it has a higher 1st gear ratio than the 3 or 4 speeds. But... at the tp end they all have the same Direct gear ratio. 1:1.

But as quick as I say that... there are plenty of very fast race cars out there running TH400s. Lot's of them.

Personally I like the Glide because it has less rotating mass, it is lighter and it has many less moving parts than any other automatic box used in drag racing.

If you have a very well build TH400... I would say stick with it. You won't be disappointed, they are brutally strong transmissions.

Those are some of my thoughts.

g
Sorry for the the hijack .

Thanks for your thoughts! I feel the same way as you. I really don't want the front end lifting either, just wasted ET and harder to control, makes for a nice pic though. I am at a crossroads, but since I have a new TH400 and new NC TC I might as well use it like you said, but will get a glide next time around.

Dan