Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

finally starting tearing down the T56 today, pics inside! (warning 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default finally starting tearing down the T56 today, pics inside! (warning 56k)

Ive been having a problem with fifth gear for quite some time now- if I tried to shift into it, and let out the clutch, youd hear a slight grinding noise and it would spit the shifter back out at ya. come to find out it wasnt a bent shift fork, like I had though. I found a badly worn 5/6 fork- the pads were completely gone.

below are some photos of the teardown. I only removed the tailshaft housing at this point, since reverse, fifth and six gear are located back there. ive got some photos of a good fork with pads intact in here for comparison. it actually wore almost an 1/8" of metal material off of the fork, which explains why fifth wont work and sixth has been problematic. this was my first transmission teardown of any kind, so this was fun because I got to learn quite a bit of new knowledge.. I also snapped a photo of the internal shift gates, I thought that was kinda cool. anyhow, heres a few pictures of the process for anyone who is interested. give me a few moments to get them loaded.

Last edited by nine-eight; 04-29-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 AM
Launching!

the gears that had been pulled at this point on my handy-dandy-jerryrig-extension organizer. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there wasnt really much wear at all on my gears(at least from what I can tell). I figured with 90,000 miles, and the way I beat this car like its stolen, there would be more damage.

the shift fork and synchronizer assembly for reverse gear

the total carnage thus far. still gotta pull some more pieces off tomarrow to get to my badly mucked up 5/6 shift fork.

the internal gates of the shifting rod.

a couple shots of the badly worn 5/6 fork. if you look at the area where the two holes are cast into the fingers of the forks, youll see the wear line. theres almost an 1/8" of material worn off the forks, and as youll see below, made for a nasty amount of metal powder being collected on the transmission magnets. sure glad those where there.

what the transmission looks like with the tailshaft housing removed.

one clean and one dirty...and ive already started to clean the second one in this photo. nasty.

the pads that should be on my 5/6 fork.

with the 1/8" of wear, and the missing pads, there was enough of a thickness difference compared to stock that the slider would no longer fully engage fifth gear, and barely sixth, which explains my gear-popping-grinding issues.

another shot of the good reverse fork.

ive got some more photos, but imageshack was horrendously slow and Its around two a.m. here, so im off to bed.

Last edited by nine-eight; 04-29-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great man. I wish I knew how to do all of this. My trans is in need of a rebuild, it would save me cash. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good so far! Mine's in a million pieces right now too. Good luck with removing the 5/6 driven gear....sometimes they come right off....after breaking 2 pullers I had to cut mine off.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like you know what you are doing. I have two torn down with peices everywhere right now.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Launching!

hehehehehe. I think you all give me more credit than I am due. I actually called a good friend of mine when i was about halfway through and the conversation went something like this...

"hello, Ryan? yeah.... sure, you too. anyhow, im in the process of tearing down the tranny on my car and came to the complete realization that I have absolutly no f***ing clue what I am doing. no, I got the cover on the other side off.. oh really? ill throw it back on then. so where? and then I pull that cover off for the 5/6? .......... ok, im taking the pin out now. *tap*tap*tap*....oh wait... sh*t... the input shaft just fell out... is that O.K.? "

i got about a ten minute walkthrough from the above transmission-capable mechanic and started with that. Im not entirely comfortable with the situation, but you never are when you tackle a new, unfamilliar part of the car. gotta learn sometime.

now, if anyone has any info for me on what I need to consider when replacing the stock 5/6 fork with a new one and bronze pads, that would be great! im really hoping I dont have to mess with endplay and checking clearances on the shaft....

Quick Reply: finally starting tearing down the T56 today, pics inside! (warning 56k)