General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PowerSteering pump going?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerSteering pump going?

Well, this is annoying.
I just got my new 2002 ws6 a few weeks ago, and im having a few problems with it already. Nothing too major i hope. But, i have a really annoying squeel coming from my engine bay, and it sounds like a pulley, it gets louder as i revv it up or as i drive faster. Also, when i turn, it gets louder and i get a little vibration type feeling aswell. I was wondering if its the powersteering pump doing this? or just the pulley? and how much does something like that go for,and is it easy to do?

Thanks fellas,

Dave
Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first things first, try to save the existing pump because its a bitch to change! check the fluid level, if its low add fluid! if its ok then i suggest doing this, buy some Lucas power steering fluid, and remove all your old fluid from the resoirvoir by siphoning it out or whatever and put in the lucas stuff! that things works great, it really made my pump quiet down a bit when it was loud
Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Teching In

it was pretty low actually, i dont know where it all went, but i added some. it seemed to have done the trick, it doesnt squeel at me when i make turns anymore, i still get a little whine from the pulleys, but thats always been there. but it seemed to have worked. I will have to try it out again in the morning, cause thats when its the worst.

thanks for the help,

Dave
Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the pulleys squek in the morning then its probobly dry bearings in th idler pulleys, u can regrease them
Old 05-01-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Check underneath the car too, the high pressure line that goes from the pump to the rack and pinion will spray/leak fluid. Id flush the old stuff out and put a good fluid with stop leak in it, I flushed mine a few times and it removed a bunch of build up and debris.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Well I found out that my serpentine belt actually cut a huge gash in mine. Fluid fell all down into the alternator and shorted it out. There are actually two different PS pumps you could have. One has a 2 lines and one has 3. The one with 3 lines will have an extra short line underneath...that is your PS pump cooler. If yours is like mine then it's just a bottom high pressure line and another line on the side. It's not TOO terribly difficult to take out the pump but getting the braided lines back in is another story lol. If you have to replace the lines then you have to order them from the stealership. They're only like $20.00 or so a piece since the metal flanges aren't removable from the line. You'll need a 1/2" wrench to disconnect them from underneath. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

You can get the high pressure line and the return hose from PepBoys or Advance Auto Parts...But yes, getting those lines fed back up to reconnect is a couple of beers worth...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Teching In

thanks guys, yeah the noise is all gone, i feel like an idiot for not checking that first, i guess i just got lazy haha. i work on dumptrucks and heavy equipment all day, so at the end of the day, i just dont even want to bother looking under the hood of my car sometimes lol.

I think im going to try to re-grease the bearing in the pulley though, im hearing a faint squeek from my pulley yet.

I appreciate the help guys,

Dave

Search this Thread