Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain Stretch.....AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Stretch.....AGAIN

OK, here is the story. Replaced my cam a while back and put in a new OEM timing chain. Also installed Comp 918 springs. After a couple thousand miles when I would give it anything over about half throttle under 1500 rpms or so I could hear rattling from the timing chain. Anywhere over 1500 rpms and it wouldn't do it. A little later on I replaced the heads and they came with dual valve springs. Still on the same chain, still the same noise. Then I replaced the timing set with the Comp Cams adjustable roller single chain. The noise was gone...for a while. After a couple thousand miles the same thing started happening again. What would cause my car to stretch chains like this and what can I do to fix it? It's in my sig, but its a 2000 Z28 LS1. I don't mind doing the chain again, but I don't want the same thing to keep happening.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres no way you are stretching these timing chains. something else is going on
Old 04-29-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

FYI-The factory chain is designed with slack in it.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a harmonic in the timing setup, but its at a higher RPM. A timing chain damper might help if it is truly the timing set that you hear and not something else like the oil pump.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
theres no way you are stretching these timing chains. something else is going on
Agreed...I never hear of stretching chains...not to mention two of them. And on a slightly off topic, amazing seeing Tally TransAm here again. Where you been?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

haha, im always on here, just rarely post. recently though ive been going on posting binges

to the original poster, do you have a complete mod list. i had a similar noise in my car a couple years back, sounded like a light rattling under accel around 1500-2000 rpms under load in higher gears. turned out it was detonation from a vacuum leak from where the pcv hose going into the intake had melted. not sure if thats your problem but im betting its not timing chain related
Old 05-02-2008, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

It seems very odd to me as well, but like I said, when I replaced the timing chain, and that is all I did at that time, the noise went away for a couple thousand miles. I have a lot of trouble believing that I stretched an aftermarket chain as well, but I don't know what else to think? It only happens at low rpms in higher gears, and occasionally off the line. I have had the car on the dyno 2 times with no detonation.

As far as mods, here is what I have in the motor. SLP CAI, LS6 intake manifold, ASP pullies, Katech manual belt tensioner, Comp Cams adjustable roller timing set (single chain), TR 224 cam, TSP 5.3 heads (11.25:1 compression), patriot dual valve springs with titanium locks and retainers, LS7 lifters, TR hardened pushrods (stock length), ARH long tubes and Y with cats, SLP LMII cat-back, EGR and AIR delete, TR ported oil pump, NGK TR55's, MSD wires, uhhh......I think that is it for the motor. Have had it on the dyno twice. 415rwhp/402rwt SAE corrected.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

bump:
Old 05-08-2008, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

did you ever measure the new chain to the old one with no slack in either chain to see if you are really stetching it. i can see if you had 100k on a chain then put a new one in, then you will see some stretch in it. I saw this when I put a double roller chain in my jeep, stocker had 108k on it.

Are you using any loctite on the bolts to keep them from backing out. I can see it backing out and causing you to hear some noise.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

When I tore it down to replace the OEM chain with the Comp timing set, there was clearly quite a bit of slack in the chain. The new one was pretty tight when I installed it. I didn't actually measure them, but I could tell that there was a big difference. No problems with the bolts backing out. Used loc-tite and torqued them to spec.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Stretch.....AGAIN