Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst... Tune... Ever...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Worst... Tune... Ever...

A friend of mine recently blew his 130K cammed motor. He had a regional shop (Not on LI) replace the motor with a fresh LS2 short block, a custom cam, and some trick flow heads. Pulled about 420/405 on their dynojet.

The very next day, he comes to me complaining that the car bucks like hell, drives like complete ****, and sputters and pops above 3K rpm. He swings by the house on saturday and we hook up the logger and take it for a spin. The car saw a steady 4* of timing anywhere over 25% throttle. There we backfires, violent popping, and it totally broke up during any acceleration over 3K, no matter how mild. So now we try and download the tune. Winds up they didnt even put the correct OS on his ECU, so I could not edit it for him. I had to rewrite the whole O/S using my stock file just to get to the point it was tunable again. Anyway, I could still read the tune this shop gave him and reference some of the tables. Needless to say we found out why the car ran like crap...

I dont know who tuned this MAF table, or how they thought they were improving it, but the last time I saw anything this jagged, it was cutting down trees in the yard.

Now take a look at this spark table. Im sure that makes for a smooth transition when you hit 3200 rpm.

Anyway, fixing these two tables, as well as a few tweaks here and there some other places and that car runs well again. Just though you guys might be interested in the kind of stuff that passes for a pro tune from some shops that obviously just don't give a crap about the customer. In fact, this tune is so bad, its not even like they took the easy way out and did a bunch of short cuts. If I didn't know any better, Id say they were trying to sabotage the motor!

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 04-30-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy god, thats ugly....
Old 04-30-2008, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who was the shop? Or are they a sponsor?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frost
who was the shop? Or are they a sponsor?
Since it was not my car, Its not my place to identify the shop. Hopefully they'll make things right and give him a refund or something. We totally rewrote his tune starting with my own bin, so its not like were using the shops tune anymore. And who could blame us?!?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Tony, I hope everything gets righted properly. Best of luck to your friend.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

LOL! That MAF table is comedy.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to take someone's money and tune their car, be prepared to stand behind your work. I don't care what details there are. Lots of tuners put canned files into cars without doing any tweaking, and it appears it may have happened here.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

If you're going to take someone's money and tune their car, be prepared to stand behind your work. I don't care what details there are. Lots of tuners put canned files into cars without doing any tweaking, and it appears it may have happened here.
+8852356989653

Thank you
Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tblu92
Being a tuner myself--I find we are always 1st to blame whenever something goes wrong--I have gotten phone calls at midnite before from an irate customer who says he is getting codes--When I have him give me the code # -I find out it was from a loose gas cap !! EVAP small leak code --Anyway point I'm trying to make---I agree the tables are way whacky but I can't see how any tuner even with minimal experience would purposely tune it that way--Computers are crazy sometimes i see them go bezerk in stock form--Without knowing ALL the details , the history of the car itself and everyone who had their hands on the ECM I would not critize any tuner--Why would the O/S numbers not match ? The tuner probably was just tuning the car --He would have no reason to change ECM's which is why they don't match--Someone has changed the computer--Too many details are left out to make judgements on anyone
I gave you all the details. The same shop installed a new LS2 short block, heads, cam, 12 bolt, and dynotuned the car. They did not install a new ECU, it was the original that came with the car (2002 Fbody). The previous tune in the car was one the owner of the car and I did ourselves a few years ago. The shop overwrote the existing OS with something that gives me this error: Invalid VIN/OS Pair. VCM Flashing Disabled. Regardless, the guy drove the car home from the shop breaking up and sputtering the whole drive home. This is not something that developed over time. And since the tuner is the same shop that installed the new engine, either way, theyre responsible for how poorly the car was driving. My guess is that they blindly pasted AFR error into the maf table and left it at that. No smoothing. No Cut by half. No averaging a few pulls together. No use of any of the popular "best practices" found in just about every tuning sticky ever posted.

But really, look at those graphs! Seriously, how can somebody put out work like that?!?

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 04-30-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
What god awful can did a MAF table like that come out of? Look how jacked up those cells are. How can a maf steadily increase in Hz, but jump up 50 g/sec, then drop 40, then back up 60, down 55, etc. etc. It defies logic to think that increased MAF frequency could EVER indicate a drop in airflow.

But I agree that they need to stand behind their work.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
What god awful can did a MAF table like that come out of? Look how jacked up those cells are. How can a maf steadily increase in Hz, but jump up 50 g/sec, then drop 40, then back up 60, down 55, etc. etc. It defies logic to think that increased MAF frequency could EVER indicate a drop in airflow.

But I agree that they need to stand behind their work.
That is pretty ridiculous. I couldn't imagine what they were thinking. How do the PE tables look?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lmfao.
TECH Senior Member

no, the ecm was probably not changed, some tuning software (such as efi live) allows you to write any OS into any PCM, with any vin, and just the more strict tuning software such as hptuners, requires the OS to match the vin, (so you cannot get around thier licensing scheme)

The ECM doesn't care if you write all FF's or OO's to the memory, it will take it (it just may be dead afterwards )

Ryan
10 Second Club

Never mind, I just saw the Spark table you posted earlier.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow
no, the ecm was probably not changed, some tuning software (such as efi live) allows you to write any OS into any PCM, with any vin, and just the more strict tuning software such as hptuners, requires the OS to match the vin, (so you cannot get around thier licensing scheme)

The ECM doesn't care if you write all FF's or OO's to the memory, it will take it (it just may be dead afterwards )

Ryan
I tune with EFI Live, and agree. Maybe they found a GTO tune they liked.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if they didn't look back at the final tune, or test drive the car on the street shouldn't a flag have been raised when they saw an LS2 with a "custom cam" and trick flow heads only make 420 hp? *I know the owner of the car and these were dynojet numbers.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

It looks like the maf table was changed in the graph veiw by some one with parkinsons
Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

a GTO tune would have killed a f-car pcm, but any 1999-2002 would have worked.

I do not think you could have flashed it in, since the image size is wrong for the flash chip (I assume they would check that on the flash procedure)

Ryan
Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Could they have blindly copied tables to the F-body tune?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tblu92
What I can't quite figure out is why YOU were able to tune the car before without any trouble and now the OS # and VIN aren't compatible---Somewhere, somehow the ECM seems to have been changed---The ECM won't let you download a tune if it does not have the proper OS system--Doesn't make sense that the 1st tuner made tuning changes and now your 2nd tuner gets a message saying the OS # is not proper and has to overwrite a complely new program
Four years ago, my buddy and I split the original HPTunders during the initial preorder. Thats when we first tuned his car when it had the stock LS1 with an F11 cam in it.

When his motor blew up, he went to the shop to get all the work done. They must have uploaded a different O/S to the ECU.

To get past the lock, I had to do a full write - rewriting the O/S as well as the bin. I used my car's bin file since we both have 2002 cars. I still dont know what OS the tuner had uploaded. Not sure how to find out what the OS number is.

Quick Reply: Worst... Tune... Ever...